Arrow Cutting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Arrow Cutting

When I first started bow hunting, aluminum arrows were the thing. I would usually cut them to length myself with a hack-saw. Since I have been using carbons, they have always been the right length when I got them. I bought a doz. new carbon arrows the other day, that need to be cut...So, can I just measure them, take a dremil (sp?) tool and cut them myself. Then put the inserts in...... Trying to avoid paying someone to do it..... Ya Know??

Thanks guys....

Yeap, that is what I do.

Comment

Just be careful not to breath the dust from cutting carbons. It could mess up your lungs.

Comment

Be sure to get your cuts straight and even, otherwise your inserts won't seat fully against the shaft.

Comment

That's what I wanted to hear! Good call about the carbon dust Bill, I bet I wouldn't have remembered that. Thanks again...

Comment

Old post I know, but I have a question about this.

How do you guys make sure your cuts are right when you use a Dremel? I've wanted to use mine to cut my arrows, but I'm worried I'm not steady enough to make a straight cut.

Comment

clamp the arrow at the edge of an old table or counter top, use a level to make sure the arrow is laying true. the cutoff blades on dremels have the little screw to attach them put it against the edge of the table and turn it on full speedmaek sure the dremel is level and zip thru em...............its idiot proof

Comment

Before I got a arrow saw, I used to use a chop saw. It worked well provided you let it get to full rpm before touching an arrow.
                Also, the G5 arrow squaring device is the best tool I have ever bought.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeCrab View Post
                  Trying to avoid paying someone to do it..... Ya Know??

Thanks guys....

I cut arrows as a part of the sale at the store. And if I do have to charge someone to do them, it's only $0.50 each.

But if you must, after cutting with something like a dremel tool, it would be wise to use the G5 squaring tool to even everything up. Nothing worse then having alignment issues with inserts.....

Scott (tight budget there) B

Comment

Here is how I cut mine. The wood is scrap that I had laying around the house and the sliding track is for closet doors that I got a Lowes.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by lbbf View Post
                      Here is how I cut mine. The wood is scrap that I had laying around the house and the sliding track is for closet doors that I got a Lowes.
                      Thats pretty creative. Do you have a pilot hole for the nock?

Nice

Comment

Yes the backstop has a hole drilled for the nock to spin in. I have ZERO skills with a saw and can't drill a straight hole to save my life, but I got lucky and everything lined up on this project.

Comment

Try this....

You can pick one of these up at harbor freight tools for about $25. Mount it
                          to a board, place a finishing nail to nock your arrow in at the length
                          desired and make good cuts. I have been using one for several years.
                          Attached Files

Comment

more info...

It's called a mini cut-off saw and even has a clamp that holds the arrow square
                            in the saw. Mine cuts very closely to exact sqare.....if it is off, I cannot tell with the naked eye, even after placing an insert in the shaft and looking for gaps.

Comment

Working...
                            X