Elevation / Angle of shot and does it affect mechanicals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Elevation / Angle of shot and does it affect mechanicals

This is not meant to be a mechanical vs fixed debate. I am planning on using spitfire Edge broadheads this year but have "heard" that mechanicals are subject to failure at steep angles and / or if the deer is not perfectly broadside. My concern is that I hunt about 25' up in air and my shot is appr. 25 yds so its a pretty steep angle. I now hand it over to yall to share your experiences.
    Last edited by ted_kennedys_liver; 08-16-2012, 03:25 PM. Reason: wording

Angled shots can be difficult with some mechanicals, though that is increasingly not a problem as technology improves.

It's no secret on the GS that I am a HUGE fan of Grim Reaper broadheads. Their independent, spring loaded blades make it virtually impossible for them to not open regardless of the angle.

Comment

never had a problem with rage in my tree stand.

Comment

I have shot hard quartering away shots and very steep angle shots on WT with my 3 blade rages without 1 single problem.

Comment

Good to hear. Once I get my first kill with the mechanicals I will feel a lot better. I reckon everyone gets a little nervous with their first shot with mechanicals

Comment

I had it happen to me but that was 2 blade blood runners. Never had a problem with my spitfires.

Comment

Originally posted by Bonner View Post
              Good to hear. Once I get my first kill with the mechanicals I will feel a lot better. I reckon everyone gets a little nervous with their first shot with mechanicals
              Yes it will. I was skeptical at taking my first animal with a mech but after being 15ft up in a stand and my ram only going 10 yards now I am in love with grim reapers! They open every time no questions asked.

Comment

Working...
              X