Longer vs. Shorter Arrows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longer vs. Shorter Arrows

Here's my question, if you're going for a target weight, say 350, would you rather get there by having a shorter, heavier arrow (e.g my 5575 GT Hunters @ 8.2 GPI) or a lighter longer arrow (e.g. Carbon Force Stealth Hunter @ 7.1 GPI). If I use the lighter arrow, it'll have to be longer to match weight.

All other things being equal (100 gr tip, blazers, wraps, nock, etc)

Which would you rather shoot and why?

Which ever one has the right spine is the one I'd shoot.
    Longer arrow= weaker spine
    Heavy tip= weaker spine
    lighter vanes=weaker spine

shorter arrow= stiffens spine
    lighter tip= stiffens spine
    heavier fetching= stiffens spine

Comment

I always heard that a longer arrow will be more "forgiving". I don't know if that's holds true though.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
        Which ever one has the right spine is the one I'd shoot.
        Longer arrow= weaker spine
        Heavy tip= weaker spine
        lighter vanes=weaker spine

shorter arrow= stiffens spine
        lighter tip= stiffens spine
        heavier fetching= stiffens spine
        agreed...

Comment

Problem is that they both shoot pretty well. I've got longer vanes on the lighter arrows with a 125gr tip and blazers and 100 gr. tip on the heavy ones....

Comment

Originally posted by MountainMan View Post
            Problem is that they both shoot pretty well. I've got longer vanes on the lighter arrows with a 125gr tip and blazers and 100 gr. tip on the heavy ones....
            Wich one is faster, and wich one is more accurate?

I asked a similar question here a few years ago. Wich would offer optimal flight pattern: a short shaft or long shaft?

I would think a longer shaft would, being it has more air drag on the surface area there by increasing accuracy (excluding wind drift). But since it has more surface area, it's prone to slowing down more quickly than a short shaft arrow of equal weight and diameter due to air drag.

Comment

The lighter arrow with more weight up front would be a better hunting arrow.

Comment

Are you going to shoot with an overdraw?

Arrow length is usually the dl +1.75" and this can be reduced by maybe a .5" or so.

Comment

If you use the Easton arrow chart it will help you decide .You should be able to get it on line.

Comment

The arrow with the most point weight should be the most accurate as long as it is in spine. Vanes are only for guidence and only effect the arrow by adding or decreasing weight. A weak spine will tune but not group well at the longer distances.

Comment

Originally posted by atexx2 View Post
                      Are you going to shoot with an overdraw?

Arrow length is usually the dl +1.75" and this can be reduced by maybe a .5" or so.
                      I don't get it. I have a 30" dl and my arrows are cut at 29.5. Using a QAD Ultra rest on my bow.

Comment

Originally posted by ballisticbudda View Post
                        I don't get it. I have a 30" dl and my arrows are cut at 29.5. Using a QAD Ultra rest on my bow.

same for me 29 DL 28.5 arrows with QAD

Comment

Until recently I was shooting a 29" draw with a QAD and my arrows were cut to 27.5".

Comment

have you shot both arrows through a paper tuner to see which is giving you a cleaner shot.

Comment

Working...
                            X