Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ATA Length

Long or short? Pros and cons?

I like a long ATA like the Commander . Everyone has their preference, but the longer axle bows are just more stable to me!

Comment

Lol I never would have thought

Comment

ATA makes string angle differences that affect peoples peep locations and anchor points. A short ATA with a long armed archer 29 and up can cause problems with some where as a short draw archer may have much better results with short ATA. You really need to shoot the bows for your self to find the ATA that work well for you.

Comment

I have a Mathews Conquest 4 (41" ATA) and a DXT (29" ATA) and the peep location is more difficult with the shorter ATA bow for me (28" draw), but I have not found that the longer ATA is that much more forgiving, that is supposed to one of the advantages of a longer ATA bow, but I don't shoot more than about 30 yards, back yard isn't much bigger than that. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Really depends on two things: what will it be used for, and do you like the feel of a longer/shorter ata! Most indoor shooters like the longer ata because it will take less to draw back or feel like it anyway. A lot of hunters like the shorter ata for the tree stand and brush shooting, and think what would happen with one in a small ground blind! I like them and seems as most like them between 32-35"ata.

Comment

i like a little bit longer ata bc of the steadiness...mine GT is 34-35 ata

Comment

Originally posted by Fingershooter View Post
                I like a long ATA like the Commander . Everyone has their preference, but the longer axle bows are just more stable to me!
                my #1 is still my 38" Q2XL in the tree and in the ground blind it works flawlessly. i am no more accurate with it over my 34" legacy but i feel more stable with the longer ATA

Comment

That Q2XL is one of the best bows Mathews ever put out IMO!

Comment

Its a personal pref. I've got two 26" A2A bows and two bows over 40" A2A long and two other bows inbetween. I like all of them. For hunting I stick to my 26"ers just because I won't shoot beyond 40 yards. For target and fun shooting I stick to the longer ones. It takes me much longer to acquire the target, hold steady, with the target bows but. It's a personal pref.

Comment

I like longer ATA bows. Then again I'm 6'3" with a 30.5 draw and the short bows have too much string angle for my liking.

Comment

All things being equal, a longer ATA bow will put the peep sight closer to your eye and let the string touch the tip of your nose. Some shooters like that to create a 'triple' anchor point including where you put your release hand on your face. It's tough to compare stability because many of the longer ATA bows have different or more 'target' cams on them by design. My older PSE is 38" and I've dragged it over he** and creation hunting without a problem.

Comment

Working...
                        X