No announcement yet.

How do you de-scent your gear?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hang it in the yard with deer Poop in he pockets! do empty the pockets when I hunt, Don't want to confuse with trail mix!
    Attached Files

Comment

Smoke, easiest and the best out there. Set up your pop up, hang your clothes in there, light and put the bee smoker in there and you smoke and de-scent your pop up and clothes at the same time!

Comment

Ha! Great one WhiteFalcon! Mmm....kinda nutty...kinda chocolatey!

I was gonna ask who else collected feces of their quarry and rubbed down before hunting.

Comment

Unscented soap and air dry, I'd like to smoke em but have never done it.

I think clothing prep is the least of your worries, body odor very quickly becomes the issues more than your clothes smelling like they were made in China...IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
            Unscented soap and air dry, I'd like to smoke em but have never done it.

I think clothing prep is the least of your worries, body odor very quickly becomes the issues more than your clothes smelling like they were made in China...IMO.
            Ive gotten into to the routine of powdering down the armpits, groin and boots with baking soda before stepping off. If Ive already found feces...I do a rub down prior to conducting final approach.

IMO. Chinese textiles smell out of place in a mesquite patch....so does burnt cedar...thats just what I smell. Some might say it doesnt matter, as long as you dont smell humanish. However, many fine chap has said it plainly...hunt the wind...whereas winds change as the day heats up and cools off.

I try to embrace the ironies and variables...otherwise theyll get me....no meat. God is great.
            Last edited by Briar Friar; 09-01-2015, 06:48 AM.

Comment

Cover scent...Only cost Free.99! Heck of a deal.

I cant wait until the doe in heat product hits the ground.
              Last edited by Briar Friar; 01-26-2021, 09:13 AM.

Comment

I always use scent away detergent with the scent away dryer sheets then put my clothes in a trash bag still damp with cedar limbs in pantyhose in the bag and let it sit for a few hours then air dry. when dry then put back in trash bag with cedar limbs and you should be good. When walking to the stand I may pull a few pine needles off a tree and wipe down with them. It actually gives you a good smell while in the stand and keeps you friendly with the deer

Comment

Great recipe SilentFlight.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                    Put them in a storage container (I use Contico from Academy) and run an ozone device of some kind inside them for half-an-hour or so.
                    for the win ^^^^

Comment

Originally posted by XBowHunter View Post
                      for the win ^^^^
                      Hard to lose with winners...thanks for the input XBowHunter

Comment

I just drink beer around the campfire all day and then go hunting that afternoon and the next morning in the same clothes. Seems to work pretty decently for me. Having wind in your face is my main concern as I hunt from a ground blind and 90% of my deer come out in front of me anyhow.

Comment

How do you de-scent your gear?

Interesting ideas here. I simply wash my clothes in scent free detergent keep them separate. I usually rub cedar on my pants and shirt/jacket before going to the blind. A ground blind does wonders for scent control, especially a plywood ground blind.

I have been in fly in hunts where I was limited on what I could bring. In this cases your only real scent control is the wind.

Comment

Wash them in scent free detergent. Put them on and hunt. Y'all go through a lot of trouble for what doesn't seem to be worth it. I get deer within 5 yards of me without a blind lol

Comment

Here is what I do:

Wash in Scent free soap. This is really just washing in something that doesn't contain UV brighteners. I dry them with scent free dryer sheets. The scent free just helps me remember what it was washed in... if it smells, I know it needs to be washed in the non-UV soap.

I use smoke to scent free my clothes + add cover scent. Smoke kills any bacteria. I smoke it with a bee smoker.

Before I leave for a hunt from the cabin to the stand, I smoke my skin/hair as well.

Have been busted less when the wind was swirly. Normally, I just hunt the wind, but sometimes the forecast for when the wind is going to shift is off.

My clothes are packed into those ziplock clear containers.

Comment

Working...
                              X