Protein Schleicher County

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Protein Schleicher County

Just a heads up for the folks around Schleicher County, Our deer have been hitting the protein really hard right now. Filled the feeders 3 weeks ago and they have eaten 14 tons as of yesterday. The pastures are going down quick with high winds and hot temperatures. We need more rain ASAP, the 1.5" we received 10 days ago has dried up, and the green up we were getting, shows signs of browning at the tips.

What are y'all feeding and where are y'all getting it?

Comment

Be glad you got the 1.5” 10 days ago. It’s rough in Irion Co.

Comment

Rough and hot in Irion Co.!

Comment

Do y’all believe protein to be a major helper during times of drought?

Comment

Originally posted by KingsX View Post
            Do y’all believe protein to be a major helper during times of drought?
            I would say probably the best return on investment is during a drought.

I guess figuring out if you got a return on investment would depend on your appetite for the size of return. That’s different for everyone.

You can definitely tell the improvement in body size and fawn recruitment on free choice Feed in a drought situation.

Comment

We’ve been going through 3,000 lbs every 1.5-2 weeks. It’s hard to keep up.

Comment

Just got back from filling my protein in McCulloch co. Went way quicker than I thought. Mine is free choice but I'm thinking most on the ranch are on timers.

Comment

We are free choice, this amount of feed is showing us what the pasture is during this dry period. Yes during a drought is the best reason to be feeding protein. We also feed cotton seed and they are eating it up as fast as we can feed it....

Comment

Working...
                  X