Longbow Purchase Advise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Longbow Purchase Advise

I am looking at getting a longbow, but I don't know much about them. I have always shot compounds, and have a 29" draw, using a release and a short string loop. What draw length will I need for a longbow?

Start with a light weight bow 45lbs or so. Draw length is not an issue with Traditional Bows you will draw more poundage is all. with a longbow your draw will be about 27" that means you will be shooting a 45@28 bow at about 42 lbs

Comment

Welcome to the world of Trad! It can be a ton of fun. I do love the compound but with trad, ther are no acc. to get loose and rattle, no springs to pop out of an arrow rest, no peep tubing to break, etc. etc. lol

Comment

Have you shot longbows before? Do your friends have bows they will let you try out? Scout around a bit, and find a poundage that is comfortable and EASY for you to draw. Maybe next year the compound will be gathering dust. Watch out, shooting traditional gear can be very addictive. Brett

Comment

Thanks for all the info!

No, I don't know anyone who shoots a longbow. I am shooting a Trykon right now, set at 70 lbs. For the longbow, I am thinking somewhere around 50 lbs or so.

Comment

How much are you willing to spend? Longbows out there go from $5 at a garage sale to over $1000 for the top custom bowyers. Do you just want one to toy around with, or do you want a custom piece of functional artwork?
            I have a Massie that is 50# at 28 inches. It is currently gathering dust and is NOT for sale. PM me if you would be interested in shooting it.

Comment

Welcome to the trad world. You might check the classifieds on Leatherwall, tradgang, traditional bowhunter mag, etc. You can find deals on used entry level bows.

I bought a Martin 50 lb recurve first. I then went to every 3-D shoot and shop and shot every bow that people would let me. Most guys are happy to let you shoot a few arrow through their bows. The after a year I ordered a 65 lb Bob Lee.

I don't have any low weight long bows (all are over 60) but you are welcome to come by an shoot them or any of the 6 or 7 recurves I have. They range from 40 lbs up to 80. None are for sale, but you can get a feel what fits you. I am in the N. Houston area if you are ever this direction.

Comment

Check out the Sarrels bows over in the Austin area. Bob's good folks, very knowledgable and makes an awesome bow. I like his Sierras.

www.sarrelsarchery.com

Comment

I second Sarrels bows,bought one for my youngest boy and have a take down being made now.Bob makes a great and easy shooting bow.Bowhunter I have a 54lb. longbow you are welcome to try out if you ever get around San Antonio,and you are welcome to try out a 47lb.sarrels also, just shoot as many as you can get your hands on.

Comment

Wow, thanks for all of the information and offers! I have been looking at some custom longbows on ebay, but I am still shopping around.

stikshooter, I am originally from a little south of Floresville on 181, just north of Beeville. I will be heading down that way this afternoon, but it will be a whirlwind trip, so I doubt I will have time to stop by. I appreciate your offer, though!

Comment

Working...
                    X