shooting from blinds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shooting from blinds

myself, I tend to shoot poorly when shooting thru netting. I believe this is a result of not being able to see the animal clearly. Last year I started cutting 2 baseball sized holes in the netting. one for my video camera and another to shoot thru. you will be surprised how much area you can cover by changing your angle of attack inside the blind. I have had lots of deer very close this year and have yet to have one spook.

I actually tried this last week, after practicng and shooting poorly from a new Brickhouse. For me, it made all the difference.
    Buff, one question...what type of chair do you use in your ground blinds? Looking to find a real quiet option...may try making one like in the D.I.Y. section. Thanks.

Comment

I have been buying small swivel office chairs from Wal Mart for $15.00 they are short, quite and black

Comment

thanks, I'll give them a try.

Comment

I used to do a similar thing with my homemade ground blinds. I did not use shoot thru netting so I only had a few shooting windows and they were small.....about 8" wide and 16" tall and I could shoot video through the lower left corner and shoot through the upper portion. You cannot see much out of the windows, but you can change your "angle of attack" as Buff stated and cover quite a bit of ground. The result is a very dark inside of the blind in which the animals cannot see. I had turkeys at 3 yards one time and when I drew my bow they never even saw me.

I also found that deer do not jump the string as bad when hunting from a ground blind. Espescially the homemade ones witht he outdoor carpet as the outside. That carpet absorbs quite a bit of sound and with very few small windows you can barely hear the bow from outside. It almost feels like cheating.

Comment

I'm with you , Buff. I normally cut a 3" triangle (with the point up) on my netting and it really helps. I'm still waiting on my first shot from my pop-up blinds but it's only a matter of time...

Good huntin'!

Comment

In hunting from a ground blind, I do not use the shoot through netting. It just seems to not be needed for me. In the blind that I have, you are able to just detatch the netting and not use it. At the present time I have had no problems with animals seeing me in the blind. The interior of the blind is black,so it is really dark in there. The dark material within the blind is reported to have some properties of sent control. I have had mule deer walk directly down wind of me and not show a sign of having smelled me. I like that.

Comment

Buff, I can't shoot thru the mesh as well as I can without it either. I think it may be because I am unable to focus on a spot as well with it up. I've started rolling the mesh up just enough that I can see thru a small area and also have good arrow clearance. So far I've pretty good success with this method. If I take the mesh completely down it takes the deer in my area a couple days to start getting use to the dark spots. Good Luck.

Comment

Working...
                X