Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2019, 04:22 PM   #1
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Soon to be Pipe Creek
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default East Texas NF

Have a question for some of you guys that hunt the NF's in East Texas.

Can you hunt all NF ground, or only what's included in a named WMA? And if you can hunt the remainder of NF ground, do the general rules/regs apply(except for the hunter orange, which seems to be mandatory for all hunters)? Thanks in advance.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #2
HighwayHunter
Eight Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Davy Crockett is all NF following standard state guidelines. No baiting allowed. Orange vest and hat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 04:27 PM   #3
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Soon to be Pipe Creek
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Mostly asking in regards to turkey hunting(I know there aren't but a couple of counties open to hunting Easterns) and pigs.
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 05:28 PM   #4
HighwayHunter
Eight Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

If you find turkeys on NF in east Texas, give me an update Iíve only seen them on private land over there.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
ctom87
Four Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Location: Fort Worth
Hunt In: Anywhere!
Default

I went to Davy Crocket 3 times in Oct/Nov and saw no signs of any other animals other than deer. Even then, not a ton of tracks. Maybe I just suck at hunting cause I kept reading it was good hunting out there. No signs of hogs, either.

But to answer your question, you can hunt all NF ground but if you step onto WMA, you need the Texas Public Hunting permit. Here's some links I saved that should give you all the info you need:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd560376.pdf <---FAQ
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...telprdb5388057 <---Link farm for more info
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...d=fseprd557792 <---maps of land

Good luck bud.
ctom87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 09:19 PM   #6
quackadikt
Eight Point
 
quackadikt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Soon to be Pipe Creek
Hunt In: Wherever I can
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctom87 View Post
I went to Davy Crocket 3 times in Oct/Nov and saw no signs of any other animals other than deer. Even then, not a ton of tracks. Maybe I just suck at hunting cause I kept reading it was good hunting out there. No signs of hogs, either.

But to answer your question, you can hunt all NF ground but if you step onto WMA, you need the Texas Public Hunting permit. Here's some links I saved that should give you all the info you need:
https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE...eprd560376.pdf <---FAQ
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...telprdb5388057 <---Link farm for more info
https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/texas...d=fseprd557792 <---maps of land

Good luck bud.


Thanks a bunch. Thatís what I thought, but had a hard time finding the info.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
quackadikt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:24 PM   #7
BuckSmasher
Ten Point
 
BuckSmasher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Tyler, TX
Hunt In: All Over
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighwayHunter View Post
Davy Crockett is all NF following standard state guidelines. No baiting allowed. Orange vest and hat.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not true.

The southern portion of Davy Crockett has the Alabama Creek WMA Type II area. An annual public hunting permit is required.
BuckSmasher is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:28 PM   #8
HighwayHunter
Eight Point
 
HighwayHunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2017
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckSmasher View Post
Not true.



The southern portion of Davy Crockett has the Alabama Creek WMA Type II area. An annual public hunting permit is required.


Youíre right, forgot to mention that.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
HighwayHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Today, 02:31 PM   #9
WItoTX
Ten Point
 
WItoTX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Katy
Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana
Default

Check on specific NF, but you don't need orange for turkey, unless they made a change after last season.
WItoTX is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com