Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Current Events - Politics and Such

Old 05-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #1
Cajun Blake
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: public & pvt land
Default Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

First and foremost, it all starts at the top with the parents. Spend more time sitting down as a family for dinner, be a role model, take part in their lives, enjoy the outdoors and/or family vacations. I-phones and computers are not babysitters, put the phones down and play board games a few nights per week. The family that prays together, stays together.

FYI - I'm guilty of poor parenting at times and realize I can be a better husband and father.

Thinking out loud with random thoughts .....
....Here's an option for security but not sure if it would ever come to fruition

Each city, community, Parish and/or County has young men and women who are members of the National Guard. Some are career while others are serving for their time enlisted. NG Officers are already activated throughout the Country during times of need and natural disasters.

Not sure what the total number of officers are, but perhaps they can be assigned as a "Safety Officer" 1, 2, 3 ?? weeks during the 9 month calendar school year. At least it may work as a deterrent to prevent future shootings and mass killings on school campuses. If it saves 1 life, then the plan would be successful.

It's unfortunate the media and liberal Democrats will publicize this tragic event for weeks/months to promote their own agenda. Blame is NEVER placed on the responsible parties: the shooter, mental health system, or lack of parenting. Instead those who lack cerebral knowledge and metal fortitude to get out of the rain will shift the focus on "assault rifles" and more gun control.
Cajun Blake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:37 PM   #2
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

There is only one way to prevent a school shooting and that is to make it impossible for a weapon to get on campus.
As for parenting, your right about being a better parent but I see parents daily who could care less about their kids. I see kids buried info a computer screen and barely notice us first responders walk past them in their homes.
There will always be these events but they don't have to happen at a school
flywise is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:40 PM   #3
whakm
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, we'll see how this goes

just outlaw AR-15's. End of problem.

Seriously, the problem is multi-faceted and my fingers don't have near enough energy to type it all.
whakm is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:47 PM   #4
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

Tons of options.

But this is a fact....up until today SF High School thought they had a plan in place. My schools in Alvin think they have a plan in place.

Realistically, if your school can't stop a gunman from entering the school......it has failed it's community. Harden the schools first and foremost NOW!. Then work on the religious, parenting , bullying and social issues after that.
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:52 PM   #5
garza
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traildust View Post
Tons of options.

But this is a fact....up until today SF High School thought they had a plan in place. My schools in Alvin think they have a plan in place.

Realistically, if your school can't stop a gunman from entering the school......it has failed it's community. Harden the schools first and foremost NOW!. Then work on the religious, parenting , bullying and social issues after that.
agreed, time for metal detectors, armed guards or whatever. this madness is out control.
garza is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 01:55 PM   #6
Traildust
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The Red Dirt Area In Doss, Texas!

There is no reason any kid in Texas should be going back to school this year unless the school has been hardened.

They got 90+ days to get it corrected. Mark, set, GO!
Traildust is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:00 PM   #7
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Washington County & Harris County

Its not rocket science.
There are plenty of examples all around us everyday.
Ever paid attention to the security provided at an Astros game or accessing a county courthouse?
BolilloLoco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:11 PM   #8
Buff
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The World

If they would drag that kid out in front of the court house and hang him in the nearest oak tree, leave him hanging until the crows had picked his bones clean, it would give the next useless thug something to ponder.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:14 PM   #9
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buff View Post
If they would drag that kid out in front of the court house and hang him in the nearest oak tree, leave him hanging until the crows had picked his bones clean, it would give the next useless thug something to ponder.

...excuse makers chirping about mental health, medications, and bullies in 5, 4, 3, 2....
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:15 PM   #10
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Blake, I believe you are on to something, especially the parenting part. As for providing security to the schools so as to stop our schools from being the soft targets that they are, I believe your suggestion is legitimate and there are many other good solutions out there, but those in charge of schools do not want to divert the necessary funds away from their pet projects and college style/size football stadiums.

One other thing that is a factor and bugs the crap out of me is the fact that we criminalize and punish kids that wind up in some kind of physical altercation because they stood up to a bully or someone who is in the wrong. I was told, just this morning by an AP at my kids school that it doesn't matter what the situation is, both parties to any fight will both be punished. I knew this was the policy prior to this meeting, have always had problem with the policy, but in light of this morning's events, it just rubbed me way too wrong. I was respectful, but told her I completely disagree with the policy and that I was not going to allow my kids to be forced to be victimized and that if they were in trouble at school for defending themselves or someone else from someone who was in the wrong, I would have their back. I'll add that I also told her that if my kid starts it, they would be severely punished. I don't put up with that and have always taught them to be kind to everyone around them.

In this environment, when we don't allow kids to stand up for themselves or for another person, we take any power the kid has away from them and put it all in the hands of teachers/administrators. This is not giving kids an opportunity to learn how to deal with adversity. Taking away their ability to defend themselves puts them in a position to always be a victim and at some point, they are going to snap. When they snap, they decide they are going to take the power back and who knows what they're going to do. Sadly in many cases lately, they are deciding to shoot up a place where they have been the victim. In their mind, consequences be ****ed. They aren't worried about it, because in their mind, if they live, they were able to inflict the pain they wanted to and if they die in the process, they don't care, because their life wasn't worth living anyway. Life as a perpetual victim is no life at all.

Sometimes you gotta punch a bully in the nose.

I'll stop before my rant gets too long. I feel like I could go on for a while about this, but I have work to do.

Last edited by BigWes; 05-18-2018 at 02:17 PM.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:19 PM   #11
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

Quote:
yup
WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:22 PM   #12
BigWes
Eight Point

Hunt In: Grimes County

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by systemnt View Post
...excuse makers chirping about mental health, medications, and bullies in 5, 4, 3, 2....
While I'm not opposed to the public hanging, these kids who do this don't give a crap about the consequences. You think they don't know there's a good chance they are committing suicide by cop? Most of them have been marginalized their entire life and weren't able to fight back at any point so they are going to take down as many as they can when they decide to end it all themselves. They know they're going to get attention, even if they die in a shoot out. A public hanging would be the same effect - notoriety and revenge in the same swipe.
BigWes is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #13
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Theres always gonna be unstable kids around. Always has been.
We gotta keep weapons out of the schools.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:31 PM   #14
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
you dont think these things play a part?
Old 05-18-2018, 02:34 PM   #15
systemnt
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

Only thing i will say about this.. is i do believe the era of medicating people instead of forcing them to develop coping mechanisms plays a large part in the wussification and poor-me attitudes of recent generations.
"Mentally ill" is overused.... and excuses way too many things...and the medications prescribed arent teaching them how to deal with any stresses and in many of these cases increase the chances of psychological breaks.
need proof? at some point , pretty much all these mass killers were either diagnosed and/or prescribed these anti-psychotic medications, given an acronym that explains their behaviours, and never taught to deal with **** other than pop pills.
systemnt is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 PM   #16
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma / San Saba Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
you dont think these things play a part?
I was bullied in school and had open access to guns. I didn't kill anyone. We have a culture/parenting problem.
Big Wes has it right....Kids have no training or know how to handle adversity.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:40 PM   #17
flywise
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
I was bullied in school and had open access to guns. I didn't kill anyone. We have a culture/parenting problem.
Big Wes has it right....Kids have no training or know how to handle adversity.

I should have erased the bullied part of the quote i copied. Bullied is BS but there is a 99.9% chance medication played a part in this event and has been proven to have played a part is basically all previous events like this.
Whether or not the shooter had a mental illness before being prescribed mind altering drugs, They ended up mentally ill.
Old 05-18-2018, 02:44 PM   #18
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Quote:
Tons of options.

This! Metal detectors at the main doors!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:49 PM   #19
TXBRASS
Ten Point

Hunt In: Dryden & Hallettsville, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicBlade View Post
Then they will just ambush the funnel-point at the front where the large group of kids are waiting in line to be searched.

The answer is Law Enforcement and plenty of them hired and on-duty at every school during every moment the school is in session. An officer for every main building or an officer for every 200 students.
TXBRASS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:50 PM   #20
bakin7005
Ten Point

Quote:
I should have erased the bullied part of the quote i copied. Bullied is BS but there is a 99.9% chance medication played a part in this event and has been proven to have played a part is basically all previous events like this.
Whether or not the shooter had a mental illness before being prescribed mind altering drugs, They ended up mentally ill.
I hear what your saying. My oldest was on Ritalin in high school. A decision I now regret as I'm older and much wiser. It jacked him up but he didn't kill anybody either. It's a culture/parenting problem. These killers aren't taught how to deal with adversity. Poor Godless parenting. Those other things may play a role but you can't point to them as the cause.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:56 PM   #21
txgb
Six Point

Hunt In: Edwards County

I think if you want to make it as close to impossible to have a gun in school you will have to turn it into airport/federal building security/prison.

Armed guard at every entrance and exit. Any backpacks, lunch boxes, bags go through x-ray when entering or exiting. Any outdoor time must be monitored by guards. Every person in school must go through scanner and is subject to search at any time.

I donít know about all that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txgb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 02:58 PM   #22
MasonCo.
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brazoria Co, public land

Quote:

Done

MasonCo. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

I think the most beneficial thing would be to arm the current officers with something besides a dang pistol. They need to be carrying an AR style every day.

Define how much we are willing to pay. SOunds cold, but that is exactly what we did with speed limits. THere are an additional 800-900 deaths per year in US due to increased speed limits. Would you be willing to pay 20-50% more what you pay now in property tax? Do away with sports to pay for extra security? Every ISD has many schools K-12, protect all with armed guards?

I think the sad realization is we can stop them.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
lovemylegacy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: SETx,La,Il,Ks,Mo

Quote:
Yessir, no doubt medication holds a part in this. I wonder if the Doctor is gonna be held responsible for the script he provided?
lovemylegacy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:30 PM   #25
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Only thing i will say about this.. is i do believe the era of medicating people instead of forcing them to develop coping mechanisms plays a large part in the wussification and poor-me attitudes of recent generations.
"Mentally ill" is overused.... and excuses way too many things...and the medications prescribed arent teaching them how to deal with any stresses and in many of these cases increase the chances of psychological breaks.
need proof? at some point , pretty much all these mass killers were either diagnosed and/or prescribed these anti-psychotic medications, given an acronym that explains their behaviours, and never taught to deal with **** other than pop pills.
School shootings are a symptom of the problem, not the actual problem. You are exactly right.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:31 PM   #26
bakin7005
Ten Point

Any trained teacher willing and able should have immediate access to a firearm.

Old 05-18-2018, 03:41 PM   #27
Legdog
Pope & Young

Part of the problem is the old toothpaste is out of the tube analogy. Lots of us remember attending high school in a time when we spent a ton of time pursuing shooting sports outside of school. We never dreamed of taking a gun to school for any reason. Not even the loaner types who may or may not have had mental issues. In the post Columbine world, kids copy this method of rampage suicide in whatís becoming something of a routine.

Thereís always been bad parents. Thereís always been kids with mental problems. The difference now is they know this is an option. This kid even bought the Columbine Coat.

Itís sad that we have to think of protecting our kids in school with methods used for prisoners but thatís where we are. You canít force bad parents to be good any more than you can identify and monitor kids who may or may not go off the rails some day. Of course, when they tip their hand on social media, by all means we need to pay attention. The hard part is knowing when a line has been crossed.

For now, security seems to be the only realistic answer.

Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #28
Pkripper
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas Colorado

Better training is needed. From what i have read on today's event some kids pulled the fire alarm to alert the students. Fleeing the classrooms is not a good move.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Pkripper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:48 PM   #29
Randy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: 20' up a tree in Leon County

As long as God isn't allowed in schools

Until the mental health crisis is acknowledged

I see no end of these school attacks in sight

I firmly believe he farther away from the farm/ranch/rural lifestyle the farther from reality our culture becomes.
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 03:51 PM   #30
Bill in San Jose
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CA, CO, OR, and TX

Two suggestions:

A speedy trial, one fast-tracked appeal and then a public execution.

Eliminate gun-free laws for teachers and staff. They do not have to carry- only the sick mind knows any adult in the school may be armed.

The other approach is clearly not working.

Bill in San Jose is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 PM   #31
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineland, Tx; Where the ducks are

Until they put metal detectors up at schools & gun free zones, or actually block off the area and search everyone going in, nothing will change. Putting up a 30.06 or 30.07 sign, does nothing but ease the mind of the sheep. It does absolutely nothing to protect the people inside of said "gun fee area".
A gun free zone with zero enforcement of the "gun free zone" is only keeping the people who are legal to carry from carrying. It is a mass shooting waiting to happen.

Just like what happened today. You get someone who decides to shoot up the gun free zone, in this case a school, and is met with little to no resistance.

EDIT: When is the last time you heard of a Mass shooting at an inner city school? I cant think of one. What do most if not all inner city schools have? Metal detectors, and every person that walks in the door must go through them.

Last edited by marshhunter; 05-18-2018 at 04:13 PM.
marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 04:14 PM   #32
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legdog View Post
Part of the problem is the old toothpaste is out of the tube analogy. Lots of us remember attending high school in a time when we spent a ton of time pursuing shooting sports outside of school. We never dreamed of taking a gun to school for any reason. Not even the loaner types who may or may not have had mental issues. In the post Columbine world, kids copy this method of rampage suicide in whatís becoming something of a routine.

Thereís always been bad parents. Thereís always been kids with mental problems. The difference now is they know this is an option. This kid even bought the Columbine Coat.

A few years Malcom Gladwell wrote an article about "The Columbine Effect" explaining how each of these events prompts the next one. Long read but worth it.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...ds-of-violence
jerp is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 04:18 PM   #33
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by BolilloLoco View Post
Theres always gonna be unstable kids around. Always has been.
We gotta keep weapons out of the schools.

Sounds great.

Last I checked weapons arenít allowed on school campuses. So whatís next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #34
BolilloLoco
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
Sounds great.

Last I checked weapons arenít allowed on school campuses. So whatís next?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
A system needs to be put in place to ensure no weapons make their way onto school campuses. I dont have all the answers. Im not that smart. I just like to point out the obvious with hopes of raising awareness.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:47 PM   #35
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by marshhunter View Post

EDIT: When is the last time you heard of a Mass shooting at an inner city school? I cant think of one. What do most if not all inner city schools have? Metal detectors, and every person that walks in the door must go through them.
Seems more like a white kid problem.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #36
BrianL
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post
A few years Malcom Gladwell wrote an article about "The Columbine Effect" explaining how each of these events prompts the next one. Long read but worth it.

In my youthful days, the same was said about suicide.
Old 05-18-2018, 04:59 PM   #37
Legdog
Pope & Young

Default Possible option to prevent gun violence on school campuses

Loner vs loaner.

Ugh

Sorry guys, carry on.

Thanks for the link, Jerp.

Last edited by Legdog; 05-18-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Legdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:00 PM   #38
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
There is no reason any kid in Texas should be going back to school this year unless the school has been hardened.

They got 90+ days to get it corrected. Mark, set, GO!

This.

It should be impossible to access any school building without going through a manned metal detector.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:11 PM   #39
marshhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Pineland, Tx; Where the ducks are

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Seems more like a white kid problem.
Ha.

Plenty of white kids go to inner city schools.

Id say its more about our schools and "gun free zones" not being secured, well that and in this instance parents not raising their kids correctly/mental issues.
marshhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:15 PM   #40
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerp View Post

Interesting read. Thank you.

bobc is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:30 PM   #41
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere and when I can!

LOCK up ALL your guns and make them inaccessible to ANY children in your home is a viable option and start!! If you can't afford a safe then you can put a trigger lock on....Good Lord...it ain't rocket science!!!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:50 PM   #42
CaptainDave
Ten Point

There are tons of differing opinions on what should be done. However, I think just about everyone would agree that increasing security at high schools should be a priority. How much it should be hardened definitely is up for debate, but at the very least, it should be better.

Restricted access points, metal detectors, armed guards, etc. Why not? You can't walk into the county courthouse or any other gov't building without going through such security.

Heck, even a lot of private businesses have better security than schools. Badged ID access, on-site security (front desk and front gate), limited entrance/exit points, etc.
CaptainDave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 05:55 PM   #43
bboswell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumathebear View Post
LOCK up ALL your guns and make them inaccessible to ANY children in your home is a viable option and start!! If you can't afford a safe then you can put a trigger lock on....Good Lord...it ain't rocket science!!!

If a kid canít be trusted with a gun by time he is a Sr in HS then you have bigger issues. Both my boys have their own safes in their rooms.
bboswell is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:09 PM   #44
dcbrown
Pope & Young

Quote:
Metal detectors with armed personnel at every outside door.
dcbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:13 PM   #45
RJH1
Eight Point

Hunt In: Abilene area

Quote:
Originally Posted by bboswell View Post
If a kid canít be trusted with a gun by time he is a Sr in HS then you have bigger issues. Both my boys have their own safes in their rooms.
Yep

Guns aren't the problem, one of these after schools, malls, and other public buildings look like prisons and mass killings keep happening people will learn that the issues wont be resolved by being reactionary.
RJH1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:19 PM   #46
tvc184
Pope & Young

I donít think that you can spend enough taxpayersí money to ďhardenĒ the schools sufficiently.

If a shooter has as accomplice, it is almost impossible.

There some strategies that might lessen the murdere (8 dead instead of 20) but not a person that has time and planning on his side.

In fact you can completely lock a school down and not stop a person willing to do it.

The biggest chance to stop them is in the planning stage, not at the point of attack.

Taking tips and follow up more aggressively might help stop some incidents, if you get that tip which can be from a student, a healthcare professional, etc.

And then what about private schools that donít have the funding by being able to take their way into action?

IMO
tvc184 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:24 PM   #47
brysdad
Ten Point

This is terrible and I don’t know the answer. I do know you can’t hire enough cops to staff every school. Fewer and fewer signing up to fill the spots we already have, much less thousands more.
brysdad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:30 PM   #48
J Sweet
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Leon/Madsion County

Quote:

Been working at the airports against terrorists for the last few decades

J Sweet is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:32 PM   #49
jshouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NE Texas

Tag
jshouse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-18-2018, 06:34 PM   #50
Tony Pic
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NYS, Kerrville, Mountain Home and Harper

The best thing you can spend on a kid is time.
No way in the world this kids parents were involved in his life, that they did not know what was going on in his world. No effin way. Kids from solid families just do not do this.
Tony Pic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top