Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Equipment and Tuning

Old 04-18-2018, 10:36 AM   #1
JAGR
Ten Point

Hunt In: South Texas
Default Arrow spine question.

Shooting a Hoyt Hyperforce 80# 29Ē Easton Axis 29Ē with standard 16 grain HIT insert and 100 grain head. Three 2Ē blazer vanes and a 4Ē wrap on the back.

According to Eastonís spine chart Iíll be fine at 300 but archers advantage software says Iíll be weak. Even when entering the 260 spine itís says Iíll be weak according to the software.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JAGR is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 11:18 AM   #2
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

sounds about right, while the bow is not overly aggressive the 29" draw length coupled with the 80# is pushing it weak. draw weight has a pretty pronounced effect on spine, more so than some other possible attributes. if you can shorten that arrow up a 1/2" or so it should improve enough to get you out of the red.
muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-18-2018, 11:23 AM   #3
JAGR
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyfuzzy View Post
sounds about right, while the bow is not overly aggressive the 29" draw length coupled with the 80# is pushing it weak. draw weight has a pretty pronounced effect on spine, more so than some other possible attributes. if you can shorten that arrow up a 1/2" or so it should improve enough to get you out of the red.

So if I went 28.75Ē or 28.5Ē carbon to carbon you think that would be enough to stiffen me up?

Old 04-18-2018, 03:55 PM   #4
muddyfuzzy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Angelina County, Limpopo SA

It will move the needle for sure, how much you need to improve depends on your setup. Just play with it a little.

muddyfuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 08:04 AM   #5
Rat
Ten Point

A couple of things...

1) Software always seems to chart my arrows as weak, no matter what I do.

2) It will depend on your bow.

Here's a good example.

Tribute, 28.75" DL, 300 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart weak but flew like darts.

Logic, 28.75" DL, 350 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart very weak.

Virtually the same bows in specs but the Logic did not like the 300 spine arrows. As soon as I tried the 350 spine arrows everything fell into place and they fly like darts. The 350 spine both grouped and bareshaft tuned better out of the Logic.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I have found that it is better to start with a range of spines (300, 340, 350 etc.) and see which one tunes the best with the least amount of effort.

I am in the camp that it isn't possible to be overspined, but some bows like what they like.
Rat is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-19-2018, 08:06 AM   #6
JAGR
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rat View Post
A couple of things...

1) Software always seems to chart my arrows as weak, no matter what I do.

2) It will depend on your bow.

Here's a good example.

Tribute, 28.75" DL, 300 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart weak but flew like darts.

Logic, 28.75" DL, 350 spine arrows, 100 gr insert and a 125 tip chart very weak.

Virtually the same bows in specs but the Logic did not like the 300 spine arrows. As soon as I tried the 350 spine arrows everything fell into place and they fly like darts. The 350 spine both grouped and bareshaft tuned better out of the Logic.

I know this isn't the answer you are looking for, but I have found that it is better to start with a range of spines (300, 340, 350 etc.) and see which one tunes the best with the least amount of effort.

I am in the camp that it isn't possible to be overspined, but some bows like what they like.

Great advice here.