Hornady ELD-X

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hornady ELD-X

Anyone used these bullets on elk or even deer? How did they perform?

There is some info about them on another thread

Comment

I've seen the 143gr. ELDX out of the 6.5 do good work on deer on 2 occasions. No experience with elk.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=610151
        Much fail, OP.

Comment

I shot a doe at 577yds DRT.

Comment

Originally posted by kc5rkg View Post

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...d.php?t=610151
            Well that's disappointing to read. Been reading elsewhere on the interwebs and reports are pretty similar.

My father in law gifted me a 7mm mag, and he put on a Leupold CDS scope. Before he gave it to me, he sighted it in and had it chrono-ed using the 162gr ELD-X and had all the ballistics info so that I could give it to Leupold to get the custom dial for it. He also gave me 3 boxes of the shells. I was planning on primarily using this as my new elk hunting rifle. There are plenty of reports of this bullet working on elk, but the bullets don't seem to be performing according to how they are advertised.

So now I'm debating on either just using these ELD-Xs and going ahead and getting the custom dial from Leupold, or holding off on the dial and buying some better proven rounds for my elk hunt in November.

It's a shame because the gun is shooting less than 0.5 MOA using these rounds.
            Last edited by Grizz83; 07-10-2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

I've not tried the ELD-X, but I can tell you that I reload quite a bit, and Hornady bullets as a group shoot poorly compared to other brands. That goes for their ammo too. That's just my experience.

Comment

They supposedly are a replacement for the Amax, I have never shot them but I would run a 7mm 162 amax thru an elk any day. I had excellent result with the 123 and 140 6.5 bullets on deer and pigs out to 600 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by ultrastealth View Post
                  I've not tried the ELD-X, but I can tell you that I reload quite a bit, and Hornady bullets as a group shoot poorly compared to other brands. That goes for their ammo too. That's just my experience.
                  My off-the-shelf Hornady ELD-M consistent five-shot sub-half-MOA groups at 100 yards would like to have a word with you.

Comment

I’ve shot a couple of pigs with ELDX amd there was no complaint from them on how dead they were. Accuracy was ok with them in my Howa. Plenty good for hunting.

Comment

Just buy some accubond long ranges in 7mm

Comment

Shot a 7x7 bull at 300yds with a 162eldx in my APR280ai chrono’d at 2980fps.
                        Performed perfectly.

Comment

They work fantastically well in .25 cal 117 gr. and 7mm 162 gr. for deer (both) and auodad (.25 cal) - I can attest to that.
                          Last edited by meltingfeather; 07-11-2018, 03:13 PM.

Comment

and blackbuck (.25 cal 117 gr.)

Comment

Originally posted by 35remington View Post
                              My off-the-shelf Hornady ELD-M consistent five-shot sub-half-MOA groups at 100 yards would like to have a word with you.

I concur, doctor

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X