Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Serious question about hunting, kids, and marriage.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Trevor73402 View Post
    Since we are all just being honest here..... after reading all these replies, it’s most likely a good thing that I don’t have a child. Atleast not in the society that we live in now days. I never had any real interest in sports as a kid. I played some school football and baseball, but I did it mainly because all my friends did. I didn’t have a love for it. My love and passion was hunting, fishing, and trying to be as close to my dad as I could. I never stopped trying to impress him and seek his approval (that’s a whole different story). Even now as an adult, I still have zero interest in sports. I do not watch it on tv like most guys do. I have no interest in going to games, even pro level games. It just doesn’t excite me. So....if I had a kid, I can assure you that all my free time (or even just a small part of it) would not be spent hauling him around non stop to the endless practices, leagues, games, and tournaments. I wouldn’t tell him he couldn’t participate if he really wanted to. I would support him in it all financially. But there is just no way I’d give up my life from 5yrs old to 18yrs old to revolve everything around sports. Now days it’s not just Jr high and high school sports. That’s not good enough anymore. They have to be involved in every sport, every league under the sun, from January to December. That’s just now how I’d choose to live. So......that vasectomy might not be a bad idea!
    Right there with you. My family growing up placed zero value on team sports and it still doesn't interest me today. My wife got our sons in all these sports at the same time a few years ago and when the season was over we had both decide whats the point. My kids couldn't have care less about the game anyway and none of us were having fun. We now spend our time out at the ranch messing with horses and cattle and have a much more meaningful time as family doing that. We also love going on outings to the the lake to fish and hike around. To each their own though.

Comment

I don't hunt as much as I want. First it was kids and wife, now its grandkids and wife. And wige, eell, she says I shouldn't be hunting after 31-years. I still do, but not as much. I don't think, my opinion, that kids under 13 should be playing team sports.

My wife has mentioned to me on numerous occasions I can hang out with the deer or the dear. Have I mentioned she once said divorce because of hunting. Dang, she is still here......oh well, I try to get out when I can.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Not going to read through the 197 posts. For me, my daughter plays competitive soccer. Happens to run almost year round. I enjoy watching her play more than I do hunting & fishing these days. Yes, I miss the woods and the water, but in a few years she will be away in college and I can pick both up again then.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bama View Post
          I would imagine if the OP's dad had to pay 3k for a lease and pay for all the travel and other expenses with a lease he may not have been hunting near as much. I think times are changing on everything if kids sports cost my parents what I pay a year then I probably wouldn't have played as many as I did .
          Anthony
          Dad never paid for a lease until I was well into my 20’s. We had a little bit of land that we owned, but dad never even hunted there until I came into the mix. With me being a little kid, it was a little easier to just hunt at the home place. My dad hunted public land. That is what it is there for and doesn’t cost you anything other than your License and tag. Dad hunted public land over 100 miles in 3 directions from home. Elk & Muleys in Colorado. Big bodied white tail up in Minnesota. Drove (no flying) everywhere. At sandwiches from a cooler. Early on, he didn’t even have Camo. He wore old wranglers, work boots, and an old green down jacket that had duck tape all over it covering up small rips. Let’s not try to make this about money. Because it’s not..... guns are cheaper now than they have been in more years than I can remember. Ammo too. Id say most people are an hour or less away from some public land to hunt on. I can’t speak specifically for Texas, but it’s hard to get over an hour away from some public land up here in OK. You don’t have to have high dollar lease, blinds, feeders, corn out all year to hunt. Bottom line is you either want to find a way to be outdoors or you don’t.

Comment

Your priorities are where you spend your time. Your time is more precious than money. Try taking small kids who nap 2 times a day to go hunting. Or try leaving your wife 2-3 weekends of the month with said kid or more. I love to hunt as much as anyone, but I love my kids more than anything. They are finally getting to the age they can go with me and I'll get to hunt more...but not as much as pre kids and wife. Figure out what your priorities are and go with it.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

tagged

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                I think there are a lot of people talking past each other on this thread. Every family is different - some spend their family time stomping around in the woods and enjoying the outdoors, some spend family time doing sports and traveling. Most of us do a combination. I can attest it is hard for an avid outdoorsman to sacrifice and stay home during hunting season because of family obligations. My suggestion for those with young kids is to project yourself into the future after your kids are gone. When you are retired, sitting in your easy chair and looking back, will you think you should have given up more of your “me time” in the woods and on the water? Will the fish you caught and the hours you spent in the stand by yourself be more important? That day is going to come faster than you can imagine.

This right here.....

I’m one of the dads that have changed many a diapers in deer stands. Heck my buddies used to give me a ton of crap because I had to carry 2 packs to the stand, one hunting pack and one diaper bag. My son loves hunting but as he has gotten a little older (10) he has a social life. He still goes with me lots of times but there are times he wants to stay home and go to a sleepover with his buddies. So sometimes I go hunting by myself but a lot of time I stay home and my son and I will do stuff during the day. He will only be little and at home for a little while, I would much rather spend that little amount of time with him while I can, hunting will always be there. My wife could give 2 craps if I’m home or not. Probably prefers me gone.

Comment

I’ve always hunted, fished and surfed and wife knew this when we met. I won’t stop until I die. Nuf said

Comment

I’m a little surprised that there are still guys who have the attitude of “I do what I want when I want, woman - your job is to raise my children!” For one thing I can’t imagine being married to someone weak enough to put up with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Deerslayersh View Post
                      +1 couldn’t agree more

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

High maintenance wives maybe.

My wife has NEVER acted that way about any of my hobbies or interests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m a little surprised that there are still guys who have the attitude of “I do what I want when I want, woman - your job is to raise my children!” For one thing I can’t imagine being married to someone weak enough to put up with that.

If I had married a woman with no interest in the outdoors I sure wouldn’t give up my hobbies to stay under her coat tails.

Comment

Youth sports has changed as well. Instead of a couple months of football or little league it's select this and that. Competition for spots is increasingly difficult. Even band. A kid can't miss a band practice for a scout meeting once a week of they lose their spot. Kid can't miss a Saturday practice or they don't get to play or lose their spot. Coaches act like winning a kids game is the end all be all. Kids getting surgery for sports injuries and parents paying out many more thousands for skills coaching and tournament fees than what a dang good deer lease costs.
                          It just depends where you want to spend it.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                            If I had married a woman with no interest in the outdoors I sure wouldn’t give up my hobbies to stay under her coat tails.

I should have added that I also can’t imagine being married to a woman who tried to tell me when I can go and when I can’t. I’m lucky that for 32 years we have struck a balance that works. She has no interest in going hunting but she knows I love it. Give a little, get a little, everybody’s happy

Comment

I should have added that I also can’t imagine being married to a woman who tried to tell me when I can go and when I can’t. I’m lucky that for 32 years we have struck a balance that works. She has no interest in going hunting but she knows I love it. Give a little, get a little, everybody’s happy
                              I agree. If it’s one sided where I enjoy my hobbies and you stay home with the kids that’s me being a crappy husband. It happened a whole lot more “back in the day” because women in general would tough out crappy marriages because divorce was more taboo than today I think

Comment

As long as a person spends time with their family I don't think it is an issue. Take them hunting, go sit at the ball field, whatever. I let my kids choose if they wanted to play sports and how competitive they wanted to be. My oldest was on the football team but it was not his passion. My youngest is consumed with baseball. I support both of them. Sure I could go hunt/fish but not only would the kids know I was selfish I would miss out on time I could have spent with them. I will never tell a man what to do with his time- I also don't want another man questioning me for spending time at the baseball fields across this nation with my kid. I do know that the relationship I have with my kids did not happen because I was out of town by myself hunting or fishing.

Comment

Working...
                                X