Hunting With Thumb Releases... Talk Me into It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hunting With Thumb Releases... Talk Me into It

For all of those that have made the transition; do you guys/gals like to use them in hunting scenarios. I've always felt comfortable with my Tru Fire Chicken Wing but thinking about making the switch this year. I've seen a few videos on the topic including TBH's Michael Middleton's. Do the pros out weigh the cons making the switch? What's your feedback? Also, I've wondered if they help you stay on the backwall better when at full draw?
    Last edited by jjaimes; 11-14-2019, 09:03 AM.

Yes and yes to all your questions. I personally think it will give you a more solid anchor over a wrist style release. Switched many years ago and will not go back.

Comment

I missed one of the largest bucks I have ever drawn on when using a thumb release.
      I saw him coming in and had a face mask on. While I was drawn I moved away from my anchor to get another eye on him. When he was about 10 or so yards away behind a tree and started to walk again I reanchored (if that’s a word) and caught the trigger on my mask setting the bow off! Now I have a grim reaper in a tree to remind me that face mask and thumb releases combined cost me a booner.

Comment

I would say yes to all your questions as well. I went from trigger release to back tension release. I use it for hunting, and it has been awesome. Any flinch is gone, and form is 100% better, and much easier to diagnose problems vs the trigger release. I will never go back to a trigger release.

Comment

I switched about 6 years ago and will never go back. Kind of nice to hook it on the loop when you get in the stand and not have to fumble trying to hook it up when you’re ready to shoot. Just grab the bow and grip the release. I use a Carter Too Simple and have been extremely pleased with it. My accuracy also improved with the new release.

Comment

I think it's personal preference. I've tried both but I can't seem to get comfortable with the thumb release.

Comment

Check out the HTM inline release you anchor the same as a thumb but it’s still set off with your index finger... if you can adapt and evolve you will shoot way more consistent with a thumb style release or similar anchor due to more surprise of the shot going off

Love the Carter Too simple as a starter thumb release for practicing out of season then hunt with my HTM... good luck

Comment

Get 11 stitches in your middle before 2 days before an Iowa trip you waited 3 years for and let me know how a thumb/handheld release works out for you.

Comment

If I'm shooting a compound, I'll be using my Carter Too Simple thumb release. I have a 3-finger and a 4-finger, and much prefer the 4-finger. I've killed a pronghorn, 3 whitetails, 2 aoudad, and 2 pigs with it since May!!!!

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                    If I'm shooting a compound, I'll be using my Carter Too Simple thumb release. I have a 3-finger and a 4-finger, and much prefer the 4-finger. I've killed a pronghorn, 3 whitetails, 2 aoudad, and 2 pigs with it since May!!!!

Bisch

I have a thumb release my brother got me, but have only taken a few shots with it. I will get serious about trying it after this season.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Yes and yes to all your questions. I personally think it will give you a more solid anchor over a wrist style release. Switched many years ago and will not go back.
                      second getting a better more repeatable anchor, switching to a Carter CA is still one of the best changes I have ever made to my archery game.

Comment

Stan or Carter? 3 vs 4 finger? Heard good things about both

Comment

Been shooting a Carter Big Kid thumb release since roughly 2000. No complaints.

Comment

This has been on my to-do list. I liiiiiiiike this thread.

Comment

Stan perf-X. Buy once cry once. Not sure about the other releases but the Stan is super adjustable. It took my a week or so to get it set up the way I shoot it best but it’s awesome. I also like a thumb release cause you hang it on the bow & never have to take your eyes off the deer to “hook the d-loop”. My son has spook deer before trying to hook the d-loop. Next year he’ll be switching over to a thumb unless he switch to a recurve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X