Espresso

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
    I've got the same machine, probably same age. Until it dies and is broken, don't fix it.

My suggestion, buy green beans from Sweet Maria's or similar source and start roasting your own beans. Buy an Aero Press and you will have some unbelievable tasty java. I roast my beans in a hot air popcorn popper.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/
    Thanks for the tip Blake

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
      I've got the same machine, probably same age. Until it dies and is broken, don't fix it.

My suggestion, buy green beans from Sweet Maria's or similar source and start roasting your own beans. Buy an Aero Press and you will have some unbelievable tasty java. I roast my beans in a hot air popcorn popper.

https://www.sweetmarias.com/
      Blake, Did you wire in an extra switch to cut the heat and cool the beans quickly?

In my early twenties I was a roaster/buyer for a local outfit here in Austin. We roasted all of our samples in popcorn poppers. I could tell what continent beans were grown on doing blind taste tests. Those days are long gone but I'm still a snob about my coffee.

Comment

Don't skimp on your grinder for espresso. Get a good burr grinder. You will get a consistent grind size and a better pour.

I always liked a good African bean roasted dark, Ethiopian, Ugandan etc, mixed with about 20% of a light roasted, high altitude Central American for espresso. Good bite to it with a little bit of sweetness.
        Last edited by Stoof; 05-17-2018, 07:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by J Sweet View Post
          I used to get my beans back in the day from Hubble and Hudson when they had the market open. They would roast it in front of you and you would take it home warm. They had coffee's up to 50 dollars a pound. The most expensive was a bean from Kona that had such low acid that it could be used by people with ulcers and other acid issues. So good.
          Come to think of it there is place in Katy who gets all of their beans from Hawaii and Roasts them at their coffee shop. Some of the bags are 40$!! I don't care how good the coffee is but 40$ is way too much for a bag of coffee

Comment

Originally posted by CrookedArrow View Post
            Ha!!

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
              Come to think of it there is place in Katy who gets all of their beans from Hawaii and Roasts them at their coffee shop. Some of the bags are 40$!! I don't care how good the coffee is but 40$ is way too much for a bag of coffee
              Supply and demand. They don't grow much of it just like Jamaican beans so it fetches a higher price. Get a good, high altitude, shade grown bean from Costa Rica or Panama and it is just as good. And get it roasted light!

Comment

Those confused about their sexuality take positions on what types of coffee others drink.
                His screen name IS “CrookedArrow” not “StraightArrow”

I’ve got the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine and love it. It’s expensive, but you can use a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% coupon or it goes on sale on amazon from time to time.

Comment

I used to get my beans back in the day from Hubble and Hudson when they had the market open. They would roast it in front of you and you would take it home warm. They had coffee's up to 50 dollars a pound. The most expensive was a bean from Kona that had such low acid that it could be used by people with ulcers and other acid issues. So good.
                  A block up from H&H on the opposite side of the street they are opening a coffee shop

Blue is in the name
                  Maybe blue mercury
                  I dunno but keep your eyes peeled.
                  It'll be next to churrascos

Blue Door Coffee Company offers gourmet coffee and teas and fresh made, locally sourced food and baked goods. We also provide a welcoming space to gather. We are now happy to be able to validate parking at the Marriott parking garage for all our customers. Just request when ordering.
                  Last edited by texansfan; 05-17-2018, 08:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                    His screen name IS “CrookedArrow” not “StraightArrow”

I’ve got the Breville BES870XL Barista Express Espresso Machine and love it. It’s expensive, but you can use a Bed Bath & Beyond 20% coupon or it goes on sale on amazon from time to time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CH9QWOU..._SJy.Ab6A7VJPN
                    Nice set up. Not sure if you looked but they are actually on sale right now on the link you sent. 599 is the MSRP and those are going for 479.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoof View Post
                      Supply and demand. They don't grow much of it just like Jamaican beans so it fetches a higher price. Get a good, high altitude, shade grown bean from Costa Rica or Panama and it is just as good. And get it roasted light!
                      Yea i can understand why they fetch a higher price but spending 40$ for a 12oz bag of beans is more than most coffee connoisseurs are willing to pay.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason85 View Post
                        Yea i can understand why they fetch a higher price but spending 40$ for a 12oz bag of beans is more than most coffee connoisseurs are willing to pay.
                        Agreed, and if you think that is bad check out Kopi Luwak. Yes it is pooped out of a varmint. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak

Comment

Agreed, and if you think that is bad check out Kopi Luwak. Yes it is pooped out of a varmint. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
                          I was all set to purchase some to try until I was informed of current cultivation practices which is mentioned in your link.

Comment

Blake, Did you wire in an extra switch to cut the heat and cool the beans quickly?

In my early twenties I was a roaster/buyer for a local outfit here in Austin. We roasted all of our samples in popcorn poppers. I could tell what continent beans were grown on doing blind taste tests. Those days are long gone but I'm still a snob about my coffee.
                            Paul

I never soldered the thermostat or timer like others have on the youtube videos. I used a digital kitchen timer and wait for the first and second crack.

for those who think we're talking greek, here's one of hundreds of videos sharing the process of roasting at home
                            [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTsC6JWM0qU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTsC6JWM0qU[/ame]

Comment

Everytime i hear about Kopi Luwak it makes me think of the movie The Bucket List! Hahaha

Comment

Update. Stuck with my Roma. Apparently they are hard to beat without going well over a grand. I was informed outside of the bean and extractor the next most important thing is the tamp. Was given good advice and purchased the below. Its got a spring in it so you can measure an exact 40lb pressure tamp. Never had better espresso. My machine is over 10 yrs old and I havent had to replace a single part.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X