Cattle panel blind redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cattle panel blind redux

Decided to spend my fathers day with the wife and kiddo building a new setup. My wife will primarily hunt from this blind with her bow, but i built it so i can shoot a recurve from it.

Started out with a previously built 8X8 platform. 6ft to the top of platform. Instead of doing the typical circular style panel blind im trying something different. We decided to flex a full length panel into a dome shape. Two panels were used to cover the full 8ft platform. There was a little overlap in the middle but it worked out pretty well.

We used a copious amount of fence staples to secure the panel to the 2X6 frame. Found an old scrap piece of panel laying around for the front. Stapled it to the frame and wired all the way around the top to keep a solid hold and add a little extra strength. Then cut out the window. I wanted it a little smaller than pictured, but my wife insisted on a larger shooting window.

Picked up some 4 mil painters plastic from home depot to wrap the top and sides. Plastic was draped over the top and trimmed do the water drips cleanly off the platform. It was secured with the cap nails, those little 1" nails with plastic ring installed at the head.

To be continued:

Next i have to wrap the front, figure out a door or some sort of entry way that wont flap in the wind, and drape and secure camo netting over the top. Oh, and cut some vents on the side. This thing will be a hot box in the afternoons. Its in a bad position for afternoon hunts, facing the west.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like it! I have built a few cattle panel blinds for stickbows. How tall did the center turn out? A figured I would need to be 4 to 5 ft across to get the right height for a 16' panel. Your height looks like under 6ft, which would be very low for a stickbow.

Edit, I use one in this config as an arbor between two planters 4ft apart...and shoot from under it.
    Last edited by SwampRabbit; 06-19-2017, 07:31 AM.

Comment

Its right at 6 foot. My wife can stand under it without touching. If i stand up (6'2") the top of my head touches. I have to slightly tilt my head to clear it. However, i checked clearances while building. Sitting in my blind chair
      (the ultimate blind chair from Academy) i cant my bow slightly for a clean shot. If i kneel down i can shoot straight up and down now problem. I figured, the platform is 8X8, so i can put my chair in the far back and move forward and kneel when crunch time comes.

edit: And now i will need a horse stall mat now more so than before if i plan on shooting while kneeling

Comment

Awesome. I am a short guy and 6' is the minimum for me, but I don't can't. Looking forward to the results. I love cattle panel builds.

Comment

love this build cant wait to see it finished

Comment

Cattle panel blind redux

Got a little more done after work today. We braved the elements from tropical storm Cindy and finished wrapping the front with the 4 mil plastic.
            Afterthought, we should have wrapped the front and back BEFORE wrapping the top. Would have been much easier, but, got er done. We slip the plastic between the panel and roof sheet on the roof then duct taped the while inside seam. I also taped the inside of the front piece to the panel to help keep it from flapping in the wind. We weren't able to pull it super tight, but its holding. Used the cap nails on the bottom of this sheet as well. The back side will be covered with whatever camo material i place on top of the plastic. Originally, i planned on buying several sheets of camo burlap from Academy to wrap the outside. But might end up using a large tarp. We are 3/4's of the way there. Another solid hour and the blind should be ready

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looking great !

Comment

Did you come up with an entrance/ Door yet?

Comment

I've done one before. Covered it with black plastic then wrapped it tight with pallet wrap secured with clear tape. Covered with Camo burlap from Walmart. it lasted several years no leaks. It finally succumbed to the wind out here though.

Comment

How do you guys keep wasp and buzzards out?

Comment

Lookin good so far

Comment

Originally posted by slomo View Post
                        Did you come up with an entrance/ Door yet?
                        Not yet, life keeps getting in the way of completing this thing

But I think i know how to finish it all out. I will more than likely pickup a camo tarp from Home Depot. I found them in the paint section when i picked up the painters plastic.

I will wrap the blind and use the metal loops to nail the blind to the platform. In the back for the door, im thinking of a way to use that same metal tie town loop to secure the flap when i get in and out. Maybe a bungee chord would hold it tight enough to keep the corner from flapping in the wind.

Comment

Originally posted by rut-ro View Post
                          How do you guys keep wasp and buzzards out?
                          I have a "no-pest strip" hanging on the inside. It doesn't have the same effect as it would on a completely closed blind, but so far it is keeping the creepy crawlers out. As for buzzards/owls and such, well, i just have to keep an eye on it. It helps that this blind is on my home property so i can hunt or check on it regularly to keep critters from getting established.

EDIT: on second thought, i might drape some more plastic over the window if i can secure it some kind of way. That may somewhat stop the birds from wanting to nest in it. I could just lift the flap when i'm hunting.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X