Just bought my first camera! Looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just bought my first camera! Looking for advice

Just bought a brand new nikon d5600 with the dual lense kit. Any helpful tips on how to start taking great pictures? Not experienced with anything of this caliber so any tips would help. Here's what ive done so far just fiddiling around with it

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Best advice I can give is to just keep fiddling with it. (that sounds bad...)

In all seriousness though, the best thing to start out is to take a LOT of photos of everything. It's digital, so you can always delete the bad ones. Just keep snapping them.

If you want to go deeper, I'd recommend jumping on YouTube and watching some videos about basic photo composition, how to get the right exposures, and Manual Mode camera settings. There is a ton of content available to teach you about what all your camera settings do, and that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.

Comment

Originally posted by ATX Tyler View Post
      Best advice I can give is to just keep fiddling with it. (that sounds bad...)

In all seriousness though, the best thing to start out is to take a LOT of photos of everything. It's digital, so you can always delete the bad ones. Just keep snapping them.

If you want to go deeper, I'd recommend jumping on YouTube and watching some videos about basic photo composition, how to get the right exposures, and Manual Mode camera settings. There is a ton of content available to teach you about what all your camera settings do, and that is just the tip of the proverbial iceberg.
      Thanks for the input! Ive been reading all around trying to learn all i can. Seeing some of the photos that are on here are just astounding. What would you reccomend to start off taking pictures of and around what time of day would be the best to start around?

Comment

Originally posted by texasforever View Post
        Thanks for the input! Ive been reading all around trying to learn all i can. Seeing some of the photos that are on here are just astounding. What would you reccomend to start off taking pictures of and around what time of day would be the best to start around?

As far as what to shoot, that is 100% up to you, but I'd say to shoot anything that you find interesting. For the timing, it's a lot like hunting, the best times of the day are typically the hour or so around sunrise and sunset. If you ever hear anyone say the "golden hour" that's what they're talking about. It's that time of day where the light is not so harsh as compared to midday, and it makes for a really nice look in photos.

Comment

Im pretty new to manual photography myself and have found a TON of info on youtube and most of it is helpful. There are most likely some videos that can walk you through all of the specific functions of your actual camera as well.

Shoot as much as you can. Buy some big SD cards. Shoot some more.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
            Im pretty new to manual photography myself and have found a TON of info on youtube and most of it is helpful. There are most likely some videos that can walk you through all of the specific functions of your actual camera as well.

Shoot as much as you can. Buy some big SD cards. Shoot some more.
            Youtube & practice! I'm still no expert, but I never shoot in Auto anymore. Don't be afraid to ask questions.

Comment

Are any of you located around Wharton? Would love to get some inperson help if at all possible

Comment

#1 tip is auto mode suuuucccckkkss! [emoji23]

Aperture priority mode is your bestie in most situations with an auto focus lens, letting you tailor your depth of field for that awesome blurry background and in focus subject.

As lots of folks said there’s tons of basic photography videos on YouTube, and ones tailored to your camera specifically.

The Gritty Bowmen podcast has several great episodes on photography as well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X