up to a 2,500.00 budget, what is the best camera

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

up to a 2,500.00 budget, what is the best camera

I know this question has been asked many times, but in various forms. My buddy and I are looking into getting into filming past our JVC hdd palms sized vid. cams. Really looking for 2 price ranges. For 1 camera maybe up to 1,500.00 and the other no more thank 2,500.00.

With this being said a high optical zoom, high ccd, and very good image stabilization is impt. just learning about ccd and not even real sure exactly what it is other than the more the better in low light, which is very impt. as well.

Sounds like either Cannon Gl2, or a Sony model. We need manual/auto focus switch, accsy. options, and an external mike. I am sure all have this and is the most basic.

We like our hard drive camera's now. I know the smaller one that take tape or digital tape are kinda noisy, our HDD make 0 noise whatsoever, so that is great. Are you guys preferring the hard drive, or the tape? Big diff. in price? Light and small would be great, but quality is of the most important.

Sorry for all the questions guys, read a lot of the stuff and still not real clear. All help is greatly appreciated. thank you!!!!

boy oh boy.
    CCD stands for Charge Coupled Device. It's the video\computer\memory\
    transfer\digital thingamajig inside the camera that changes the VISUAL to an ELECTRONIC signal that is then recorded to either tape, hard drive, or wire.
    Asking which camera to buy is like asking which bow do you prefer or which pick up truck would you buy......!! Ford or Chevy, Bowflex vs. Matthews.....

We all have our favorites!
    IF.......you know your budget thats the best place to start and you've already narrowed and knocked out alot of the cameras on the market! Now it's just a matter of getting your hands on the finalists and comparing them!
    I use an XL2....(psst...wanna buy it!) The GL2 seems to be a good choice for alot of videographers because of its light weight, quality lens, and available aftermarket accessories.
    Look at www.campbellcamera.com for some alternative options.
    They have 'outdoor' camera 'packages' available for new shooters.
    If you go HD then you don't later have to 'upgrade'......and you can always downconvert now for regular taping......(this explanation now might be confusing but if and when you do begin to understand more about video, it won't be!) But the disadvantages now to immediately going into HD are the initial investments for equipment (and knowing what you can do with it).

I don't know where you got the idea that a tape operated camera is noisier than your hard drive. Maybe so, but I'd be willing to bet than when you draw your bow you make more noise than the camera does when engaging the tape! The advantage of tape is you always have a backup\master\original.......after the fact. IF you transfer your copy to your computer hard drive from your camera hard drive and DON'T make a back up(and I'd be willing to bet that most people don't!), and then you erase your camera hard drive to go back out into the field, you DON'T HAVE A BACKUP......with a tape, you always do. OF course you could also use a portable harddrive out in the field to record to from your camera too! I do this sometimes myself and still use a tape backup!
    There is NO EASY ANSWER to what to do or buy for out in the field. Use your common sense and I suggest some heavy research before you spend the money on accessories.
    Try these for more ideas:
    Videomaker helps you make better video with educational articles and videos. Find camera reviews, opinions and news about the video industry.

This domain may be for sale!

Shop Video Production Gear, Audio Recording & Podcast Equipment, Lighting, Tactical Fiber, Blackmagic, Belden, Neutrik, Clear-Com, AJA, Shure, Teradek

I've said enough. Have a good weekend. Pat Miller

Comment

Working...
    X