bbq pit smoked whole chickens

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

bbq pit smoked whole chickens

whats the best way to smoke chickens, covered, beer can, how long, etc. THanks

I like the can method. Make sure the neck of the bird is open to allow smoke to pass through. I pour about 1/2 the beverage out and fill with Bar-B-Que sauce, garlic powder. Rub the bird with your favorite rib rub. keep temp around 300 degs. When the juices run clear from the leg its ready. usually around 3 to 3 1/2 hours

Comment

I have to agree with GR5, beer can chicken is the way to go... I would alos agree with his way to get em ready, the only thing I would change, I would drink the half beer then fill with your favorite seasonings

Get you a meat thermometer (they are cheap) and when you get the center of the bird in the thickest part (breast) to 165 deg. it is done!!!

Second to the beer can's is to put chicken halves in a aluminim pan on the smoker.... Line the bottom of the pan with Italian dressing (just a little to keep the chicken from sticking) put your chicken halves in the pan and smoke

Comment

thanks, so you never wrap these chickens.

Comment

No Sir, I never have!!!! Open smoke them and keep the fire around 300, get your fire right then put a smoking log or two (I use hickory) on when you first put the chickens on, thats what I have always done and they turn out killer!!!

Comment

I like the drunk chicken method also. You can also buy or build the drunk chicken kit that holds the beer can so it does not fall over.

Comment

Yes sir, I bought all my holders at academy and cabelas... They are pretty cheap, the doubles are a little more money than the singles...

Comment

Hey Bud. I didn't say what I poured that beverage into. definately not on the ground. I have used Coke before and its about the same as beer

Comment

Tall boys (16oz) beers seem to work better cause they "get the feet off the ground".

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    Tall boys (16oz) beers seem to work better cause they "get the feet off the ground".
                    X2

Comment

Last weekend I did one chicken with beer and the other with coke. The beer was a clear favorite with everyone that ate the chicken. I will stick with beer from now on. I also found that plugging the neck with part of a potato or onion works better than leaving it open.

Comment

I know this will sound weird, but i do the rubbing of the chicken i use mustard and all the acid in the mustard takes 95% of the grease out of the chicken and you cant barley taste the mustard by the time its done cooking. Try it you'll love it!!! also add all the spices you want as well to rubbing process

Comment

Im a big fan of the drunk chicken. But in a cookoff, I cut them in half, season, and lay in the smoker at 250 for about 2.5-3 hours, basting with sauce for the last hour or so. At 165*, pull it off and let it rest for 10-15 minutes before serving. Good stuff.

Comment

I like to coat mine with Tony chacheres or slap ya mama.

Comment

Originally posted by mojohunter View Post
                              X2
                              And you have more to drink before putting the can in the chicken!

Comment

Working...
                              X