Wife's first blackbuck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife's first blackbuck

Teresa and I headed down to the lease Monday night to hunt for blackbucks. The agenda was jam packed with lease work and hunting. Lucky for us, Zach (8pointer) went down Monday morning and picked up 2500 lbs of protein and filled all the feeders by himself (and did this in midst of having painful back spasms). This gave us 2 full days to blackbuck hunt before leaving for our other lease in Hondo to fish and practice shooting our bows.

We spent all day Tuesday chasing a couple of bucks but we couldn't get close. We had an opportunity with a really nice buck but the shot was over 300 yards and she couldn't get a shot off. We were all discouraged that it wasn't going to happen but Zach said we had enough time to do another lap around the lease before dark. Just about 8:30pm this buck showed himself at about 125/150 yards. Teresa was able to take the shot while Zach and I watched (not enough time to break out the video camera) him run for cover. It was getting dark quick and it's crazy how quick you can loose track of which brush line they run into. Zach marked the tree line with a roll of paper towels (i didn't have any reflective tape) and then we went back to look for blood at the location of the buck when she shot. We couldn't find any blood but I had a good idea of the where we last saw him before hitting the brush line. We looked for about 30 minutes but it was pitch dark and I was really getting worried. I knew she hit the buck as he made that "bull coming out of the shoot" style buck and then ran slowly into the brush line. It was another 30 minutes of looking and I hear Teresa yell out "I got blood"!! Elated, Zach and I headed over to Teresa (with her 3 LED lights, 2 in both hands and her head light) showing us a big pool of blood where he had laid down. Another 20 minutes of following blood and searching we found him curled up under a small mesquite tree. Then the hugs, high fives, and LDP's began.

This is Teresa's third shot on an animal (first doe in 2014, first buck 2015, and now a blackbuck) - I'd say she is hooked! She said she didn't have buck fever, or didn't remember it during the shot, but she had the after shakes for sure! I can't tell you how proud I am of her! We had a great time battling the heat but it all paid off when we got to Woodbury and dropped off her buck. We decided to have the taxi repair the left side and make him symmetrical. We will keep his current horn for a shadow picture box or something like it. (His right side measured 17 5/8)
    Last edited by TXBuck74; 08-22-2016, 11:18 AM.

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats to the both of ya!

Comment

Nice congrats.

Comment

Nice blackbuck

Comment

Congrats to her

Comment

Congrats to her

Comment

Nice!

Comment

awesome!

Comment

Nice

Comment

Congrats!! I need a lease like that!!

Comment

Great write up Buck! Glad I was able to experience the hunt with y'all!

Comment

Congrats again to Teresa! Awesome

Comment

Awesome. Congrats

Comment

Congrats! That's awesome!

Comment

Working...
                              X