A Great Write-up about a True American and Aggie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Great Write-up about a True American and Aggie

Recently in the small town of Damon where I grew up we lost a True American, father, grandfather, Aggie and as great a man as anyone will ever know. This is a write-up by one of his family members that was posted in Facebook. A long read but well worth your time.

Today I went to a funeral, not just any funeral, but one of a father, grandfather, friend, Aggie, but most importantly a VETERAN. This man was a true patriot who loved his country more than anything and was full of stories about his time served during World War II, his early days starting his family and business, and of course, a joke or two was always thrown in. With his failing health, I'm hoping he wasn't aware of the disrespect that has become too familiar in our country toward veterans, our flag and pledge. He will forever be remembered as a pillar in the community and a VETERAN!
    After the religious part of the graveside service was concluded, two active Army soldiers came and folded the flag from the flag draped coffin. If you've never watched and paid attention to this, it will send chills down your spine and starts the tears to flow. Old Glory was handled with the utmost care and respect by these two young men in the sweltering Texas heat. The precision folds, the creasing of the flag once folded was done with precision and they never missed a beat. The flag was then passed to the soldier who would place the flag in the hands of the daughter. The brief speech he gave, which I'm sure they say at every funeral, but the first time I had heard in depth was riveting began with, "on behalf of the President of the United States and a grateful nation..." And then we all started to sniffle behind our dark glasses.
    Yet there was more. There was the respective gun salute. The young grandkids were warned to cover their ears, but the shots ringing in the quiet and stillness of the cemetery just added to the mounting pride that was swelling in our hearts for the sacrifices made for our country by our loved one. But this next action threw us all. The leader of the rifle group marched up to the same sister who'd been given the flag, and he took a knee and started a beautiful yet solemn conversation. On behalf of his unit, THEY were honored to have been invited to have been part of our loved ones "welcome" home ceremony. In his hand he had 3 spent rifle shells. He held up each shell and said, "these are for your family, in memory of your Fathers service to our country- one representing Courage, one representing Integrity, and one representing Dignity. We thank him for his service". This kind veteran then handed the 3 shells to the sisters, saluted them and turned to walk away. What was even more touching is that the rifle unit was made up of Vietnam Nam veterans. After that, there was not a dry eye at that gravesite.
    So, today I went to a funeral where a great white man had given his lifetime helping anybody of any race and color who wanted to get started in farming, ranching or 4-H and FFA kids get a start with their animal projects. He had served his country with men of every race, color and creed to protect our rights, Flag, and nation. He was one of the most patriotic Aggie alum, a True Texan and by God, an American. Those who participated in his funeral were from several Wars, of many colors and also served our great nation so we can live like we do today.
    So please, you over paid, uncaring, unpatriotic, spoiled, entitled non-pledging folks, what have you done to help this country?? Because, you won't be buried a hero like the one we buried today.
    God Bless you and please, Lord, give peace to the family of Leo Mikeska 👍.

That was awesome. Thank you for sharing.

Comment

That's amazing

Comment

Awesome.

Comment

My Sister-in-law wrote that. Met Leo on several occasions. Great tribute right there.

Comment

that will make you rub your eyes!

Comment

Great write up and wonderful message.

Comment

Wow! May he rest in peace!

Comment

Ttt

Comment

Ttt

Comment

"Let comrades answer "here"." Thank you for sharing.

Comment

Working...
                      X