Nikon or Canon??? DSLR style

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nikon or Canon??? DSLR style

We have been debating on what camera to get for a while and saving some money and the time is here. Medical bills have slowed us down but thats life. We want a dslr camera that takes good pics/ has many lens options/ and shoots high quality video. Right now i am leaning toward the Canon 7D but my wife has been told Nikon is a better buy because of lens options and user friendliness.

Whats the best buy? I am not brand loyal and have no experience with either of them.

Thanks

There is no drop off in lens selection or user friendliness when looking from Nikon to Canon. Honestly, Canon likely has more lens selection, BUT, you don't need them all so that shouldn't be a determining factor.

The 7D is a great camera. Michael has one and he's gotten great results. If I were to be shopping for a new body to replace my 50D, I'd likely look at it. Don't overlook the 60D as it is a nice option for what you say you need.

Comment

Stay with either brand and you cannot go wrong. I shot Canon for years but switched to Nikon many years ago and never looked back. What made me switch? The Nikon at the time felt better in my hands and ergonomically was a better fit for me. When it comes right down to it, that is what matters because if you don't feel comfortable with the camera in your hands you won't learn to use it.
      Go to a camera store and put each brand in the model you are interested in side by side and get them in your hands. Spend some time with each of them and the one that excites you the most is the one you should buy.
      Good luck and get out there and shoot!

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
        The 7D is a great camera. If I were to be shopping for a new body to replace my 50D, I'd likely look at it.
        I agree with Casey…..The 7d would be a great choice…..

Check out both of them, and see how they feel in your hand; kind of like a pistol; then go with your gut.

I like the Canon because it seems to be built a little more sturdy than the Nikon.

As far as picture quality goes …..Who can really judge @ 15+ MP?

For me a lot of it is where everything is placed on the camera, and how easy it is to work with. I don’t want to be worrying about switching settings; I want to be concentrating on taking pictures…

Either way you can’t go wrong….

Comment

I have the 3001 currently and its a great camera. Nikon lenses are some of the best you can get.

Comment

I don't think you can go wrong with either line if you've narrowed it down to those two. There's folks here that can take a low-end "X" brand and I take the top of the line "Y" brand and I'll take a beat down pretty severely every single time. Buy more body than you think you need and really save for the glass. Then go shoot a lot and learn/ask questions.

Comment

cant go wrong with nikon

Comment

The only way to compare is to have a pair of models in mind...Canon 7D vs Nikon D7000 and do the comparison there. Nikon glass costs more than Canon glass and Canon has more glass selections available over Nikon.

It's really apples vs apples though and if you get real serious....you may find the Canon glass offerings cover you a little better than Nikon (reduced lens costs and more Prime lens choices).

I like them both but I shoot Canon gear. The 7D is a sweet camera but it doesn't auto-focus in movie mode but offers more FPS when in film mode....the Nikon D7000 does auto focus in movie mode but only offers 25fps in movie mode.

What ever comes after the 7D will be better than the Nikon D7000....this is how the game goes....I don't get caught up in any of it though....always something better down the road....too many get caught up in it though and for that...slightly used Nikon or Canon DSLR bodies are a great way to shop!

Comment

The video fps kind of bothers me. Talked to the guy at RitZ store and he asked what we were planning on using it for, and kind of pointed us towards. Nikon d5100. Anyone have one or know much? Sounds more of what we really need and at half the cost sure makes it appealing. Then we could buy a big lens.

Comment

Here's another twist....Canon 7D vs Canon 5D Mark II.

I'm leaning on the Canon 5D Mark II from the standpoint, it's full frame vs 1.6 crop. I have a 1.6 crop for stills...excellent for long range shots but...video...prefer to have a full frame vs 1.5 (Nikon) or 1.6 (Canon) DSLR. Nikon's Full Frame offerings, that shoot video, are priced way out there. Once you dive into the Still and Video DSLR market....Canon is clearly the price point winner in the Full Frame sensor market.

If you shoot 1.6, you gain in long range shots....wildlife shots come to mind but video...most of the video work I've been involved in is close end work. Having width vs range seems to be more important to me when I'm filming vs still shots. Full frame may fit the video work better than 1.6 cropped cameras.....hence the reason why I'm thinking Canon 5D Mark II to cover Landscape shots and Video leaving my 50D to cover wildlife and action shots 1.6 crop = excellent range with a fixed length prime telephoto.

I'm gonna pick up a 5D in January...figured they are now priced at a point I can dive in and snag a full frame body that does video. It's not cheap but it's cheaper than Nikon's full frame that shoots video...as things stand right now.

Once you start viewing the latest DSLR offerings on FRAME SENSOR size vs VIDEO vs FPS shooting stills.....all priced within a realistic price offering....less than 2 thousand dollar DSLR body......Canon has the edge.
                    Last edited by AtTheWall; 12-08-2011, 11:02 AM.

Comment

Nikon D7000 is also cheaper than Canon 7D but yes, Nikon will hit you a little harder on lenses.

Either way, you can't go wrong. There is no clear edge in either camp and that's by design. Canon and Nikon both try to sell their stuff for as much as they can without driving customers to the other brand.

You might consider what friends shoot so if you have questions, they will be better suited to help you.

Comment

I learned on a Nikon, that is the reason I shoot a Nikon and I love it. The Nikon cameras fit better in my hand. Just like the "feel" of it.

Comment

Both are great cameras just go pick one up and shoot some pics and see which one you like the best. from feel to options to the way you change your settings things like that. Im personally a canon guy but that comes down to that was my first camera and thats what i have grown to love.

Comment

Just like everyone has stated you can't go wrong with Nikon or Canon. I'm a Nikon fan, and will stay that way due to the collection of lenses I already have not to mention I have a good buddy that has over $30k worth of Nikon lenses I can borrow at any given time I was about to buy a D700, but the technology is 5 years old now. The D7000 seems to be the "Hot" item right now since they can't keep them in stock. Depending on how much you want to spend, they just announce the D4...so you should be able to pick up some older D3's for half of what they sold for new.

-Brandon

Comment

"Cool" starts with "C".

"Nerd" starts with "N".

Just sayin'.

Comment

Working...
                              X