Knockoff rage review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Knockoff rage review

Well guys I bought a dozen of the knock off rages from eBay. Spent 20 bucks figured if they don't pan out I can use them for coons.

Opening weekend sitting in a ground blind I shot a doe at 30 yards, bad shot placement made for a long track and a lost deer. I hit the deer in the shoulder blade with this knockoff rage. She had good blood and tracked her for a long ways but ended up losing the trail. I only had about 3 inches of penetration from what I could tell from my broken arrow.

2 days later I shot a coon with one. The coon ran around and died went to retrieve my arrow on the way out and the ko rages blades were bent. And the chisel tip was bent about 90*s.

Today I decided to shoot a piece of 5/8 plywood. New ply wood not weathered rotted plywood. I shot the KO RAGE and a NAP kill zone. I don't have any real rages to test against.

I am shooting my Matthews z7x about 280-290 fps shooting a maxima hunter kv250 arrow.

The penetration from the nap was about 3/4 of an inch further than the ko rage. On the ko rages defense it is about that much shorter than the nap.

The biggest thing I found was when I pulled the heads out of the plywood the rages blades were broke while the nap is ready to shoot again.

Rage tip is still pointy.

From what I can tell about the two heads is that the nap is more forgiving and the ko rage blades are very fragile. If the blades can be changed with genuine rage blades then they would probably be a pretty nice little head.

I dont completely trust these knockoff rages all though with good shot placement I am sure these blade will do just as much damage as a genuine rage hypo. Through the heart/lungs without worrying about bone this blade will more than likely do the trick.

These are pictures of the ko rage in plywood
    Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444592069.003126.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	25069509

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444592086.026115.jpg
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	25069510
    Here is the killzone

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444592129.504399.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	25069514

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444592144.359612.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	25069515
    Here is the aftermath

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1444592164.415672.jpg
Size:	83.3 KB
ID:	25069516

Almost bought these on ebay as well. Glad I didn't after reading this, but at least they were only $20.

Comment

Regular rages don't work, I can't imagine how terrible these would be

Comment

Originally posted by gumbl3 View Post
        Regular rages don't work, I can't imagine how terrible these would be

I don't shoot rages to begin with I guess you can call me a hater.

Comment

So basically what you're saying is they perform just as well as the real ones!

Comment

Originally posted by bone View Post
            So basically what you're saying is they perform just as well as the real ones!
            Thats funny right there.

Comment

Thanks for the review

Comment

Considering what I spend on hunting and equipment, I'm not going to skimp on the most important piece of the puzzle.

Not a rage shooter but not a hater, just wouldn't trust the knock offs.

Comment

Thanks for doing a little test on these. I think even for shooting coons you would be better off using a small game head like a blunt or judo point. All these seem to be is $20 arrow breakers and I can break arrows all on my own, I don’t need any help with that.

I did the same thing myself though. I bought some heads at Wal-Mart on sale for $5, I figured it couldn't hurt. They were "hollow points" and man did I learn my lesson about cheap heads. Just shooting it into the broad head target I lost 2 of the blades in my target and BENT the threaded part of the aluminum furel causing the tip of my arrow shaft to crack. That's pretty bad considering that I'm shooting Easton FMJ's out of a 60lbs bow. I probably should have known better when I first noticed that the blades were thinner than the blades on an exacto-knife.

I think what most people should take from this is just what Slick8 said. If you are going to go out and buy a $1,200.00 bow a $120 release, $100 front sight, $80 stabilizer, $100 drop rest and $120 arrows why in the hell would you skimp on the broad heads. Stick with the big names and they will perform like they should.

Comment

im pretty sure you would have had same results with the real rage. they have to be made at the same factory.

Comment

A lot of brand and style haters on GS. I shoot rage broadheads and have never had a problem with them since they went to new blade retaining collar. Have I broke the blades before, no, but I've bent them. Then again, I've bent blades on muzzys and thunderheads, too. The KO rage are cheap for a reason. If you want a broadhead tough as nails, slow your bow down a tad and shoot a zwickey style head, when I shot these I never bent or broke a blade. If they make a replacement blade for the broadhead you choose, you're probably gonna replace the blades at some point. I've shot dozens of hogs with rage broadheads and have had great success.

Comment

Originally posted by lone star View Post
                        A lot of brand and style haters on GS. I shoot rage broadheads and have never had a problem with them since they went to new blade retaining collar. Have I broke the blades before, no, but I've bent them. Then again, I've bent blades on muzzys and thunderheads, too. The KO rage are cheap for a reason. If you want a broadhead tough as nails, slow your bow down a tad and shoot a zwickey style head, when I shot these I never bent or broke a blade. If they make a replacement blade for the broadhead you choose, you're probably gonna replace the blades at some point. I've shot dozens of hogs with rage broadheads and have had great success.

^^^^this right here. Don't blame the broadhead,for your poor shot.

Comment

Originally posted by lone star View Post

I am not talking about rages I am talking about Chinese knock off rages and simply writing a review for the people who want to try them out or are skeptical.

I don't need advice on what broadheads to shoot, I'll stick with naps. They are very strong.

I am glad you shot many deer and hogs with rages, that's great but this thread isn't about rages.

Comment

Originally posted by HeyMikey View Post
                            ^^^^this right here. Don't blame the broadhead,for your poor shot.

I am not sure you read the review, I did not blame the broadheads at all. Let's try re reading it and come up with another reply.

Comment

I say knock off (ko) in post. Referring to others who think rage broad heads are bad who chimed in on post. Too sensitive on GS.

Comment

Working...
                              X