Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 07-16-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Weatherford/Childress
Default The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Ok guys we need somewhere to talk gear!!

Camping, backpacking, sleep systems, electronics, Packs..... And anything else you can think of.

Iíll start it off with the new pack I just ordered last night. I have a 5 day Late season Arizona deer hunt coming up in Jan and then a 6-7 day DIY New Zealand trip coming up in May. The pack I am currently running was one of the old Kifaru highcamp 4800s. Not quite big enough for what Iím needing. I was torn between the fulcrum and the Cavern but ended up going with the Fulcrum. I like an organized pack so I think the two pockets on the fulcrum will let me keep some of the important stuff separate from the main bag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
JTeLarkin08 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:05 AM   #2
Hockley
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

Camping, backpacking, sleep systems, electronics, Packs..... And anything else you can think of.

Iíll start it off with the new pack I just ordered last night. I have a 5 day Late season Arizona deer hunt coming up in Jan and then a 6-7 day DIY New Zealand trip coming up in May. The pack I am currently running was one of the old Kifaru highcamp 4800s. Not quite big enough for what Iím needing. I was torn between the fulcrum and the Cavern but ended up going with the Fulcrum. I like an organized pack so I think the two pockets on the fulcrum will let me keep some of the important stuff separate from the main bag.

I bought that same pack. I wish the two long exterior vertical pockets could detach. I also wish there was a bottom zipper and a shelf at the bottom of the bag.
Hockley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #3
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

Awesome, this should be a great thread! That pack looks great and I considered it but ultimately went with the EXO 3500.

I have most of my gear for this September but am still indecisive on a shelter. I'm thinking this Aqua Quest Tarp for it's weight/size/price. Open to any and all advice, I'm trying to stay lightweight without breaking the bank too much.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Stoof
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will work for hunts.

For shelter I take my North Face tent and depending on the weather outlook I can leave the tent at the truck and just pack in the poles and fly and it will stand on its own. I like the idea of a tarp but have not played with them yet.
Stoof is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:19 AM   #5
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patton View Post
Awesome, this should be a great thread! That pack looks great and I considered it but ultimately went with the EXO 3500.

I have most of my gear for this September but am still indecisive on a shelter. I'm thinking this Aqua Quest Tarp for it's weight/size/price. Open to any and all advice, I'm trying to stay lightweight without breaking the bank too much.

I have one of the Mountain Smith LT tarps and that shelter is awesome. I took it to Colorado two years ago up above timberline. We had a bad storm roll in and it held up like a champ. Iím not using it this year, let me know if you need to borrow it.

Old 07-16-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Quote:

I’ll start it off with the new pack I just ordered last night. I have a 5 day Late season Arizona deer hunt coming up in Jan and then a 6-7 day DIY New Zealand trip coming up in May. The pack I am currently running was one of the old Kifaru highcamp 4800s. Not quite big enough for what I’m needing. I was torn between the fulcrum and the Cavern but ended up going with the Fulcrum. I like an organized pack so I think the two pockets on the fulcrum will let me keep some of the important stuff separate from the main bag.

Great choice! I was leaning toward the Fulcrum before ultimately deciding to go with the Cavern (based primarily on Aron's suggestion.)

Quote:

I'm a big fan of a tarp. I'd suggest getting it soon and playing around with different pitch options so you can quickly set up different pitches depending on weather and terrain conditions. Learn a few quick release knots (Siberian (or Evenk) hitch, taught-line hitch, taught tarp hitch, etc.) and you're in business!

As I mentioned in my most recent video about sleep system, I'm running my DD 10x10 nylon tarp.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stoof View Post
For shelter I take my North Face tent and depending on the weather outlook I can leave the tent at the truck and just pack in the poles and fly and it will stand on its own. I like the idea of a tarp but have not played with them yet.
That sounds like a versatile option!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 11:59 AM   #7
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20į) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20į) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
Hope this helps someone.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:22 PM   #8
Floor Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young County & State of Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20į) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20į) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
Hope this helps someone.

This is my opinion also. The best equipment (packs, shoes, tents etc..) are not by hunting related companies. My buddies that live and hunt in Colorado all carry backpacking packs - not one is made specifically for hunting.

Floor Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:24 PM   #9
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

This is the perfect thread can’t wait to read what all gets posted, been needing one of these on here.

Nice packs y’all got. I run an EXO 5500 for my backcountry expeditions, it allows me enough room to take everything I need for 14-16 days and I can cinch it down for short 4-6 day trips. I also have the load shelf I use with it for heavier loads when packing meat or when you’re trying to pack out that awkward meat bag of all the trimmings like backstraps and neck meat.

Shelter I use an 8 man kifaru tipi with the liner, and a medium kifaru stove I’ll pack with it for winter time hunts or when I will be needing to dry damp clothes on a daily basis. The tipi w/ pole and liner comes in at 9lbs I believe and split carrying between 2 people is perfect.

Sleeping pad I use a big Agnes Slx, if it is gonna be late winter I’ll also strap onto the outside of my pack, a closed cell foam pad for added warmth.

Sleeping bag wise, I use my big Agnes farwell 0*. It’s not the smallest or lightest but it having the sleeping pad sleeve keeps me on my pad at night, which is one of the greatest things if you toss and turn, and the synthetic fill drys quickly if it gets wet. For warmer weather I carry a Coleman mummy I got from Walmart for 35$ that I sewed some elastic band on the back to keep it on my pad at night.
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:28 PM   #10
diamond10x
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floor Man View Post
This is my opinion also. The best equipment (packs, shoes, tents etc..) are not by hunting related companies. My buddies that live and hunt in Colorado all carry backpacking packs - not one is made specifically for hunting.

I will also agree with this except for the backpack part, in my experience, especially in units and areas where meat cannot be deboned in the field, the expensive adventure hunting backpacks are the way to go because of their design to carry out meat.

On my backpack fishing adventures I use a backpacking pack, instead of my hunting pack, which is definitely the way to go.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:37 PM   #11
Floor Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamond10x View Post
I will also agree with this except for the backpack part, in my experience, especially in units and areas where meat cannot be deboned in the field, the expensive adventure hunting backpacks are the way to go because of their design to carry out meat.

On my backpack fishing adventures I use a backpacking pack, instead of my hunting pack, which is definitely the way to go.

Thatís funny because we have all gone to Osprey type packs for packing out. We use smaller hunting type packs for hunting but have backpacking type packs in the truck for hauling out meat. My hunting partner hauled out 120 pounds in an Osprey 5500- Iím not carrying 120 pounds period

Old 07-16-2018, 12:41 PM   #12
Wylde E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

I went with the exo 5500 pack, north face guide 0F bag, and Kelly outfitter 2p tent. I think I’m going to go with the Therm-a-Rest trail pro pad.
Wylde E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #13
diamond10x
Ten Point

Anyone besides the OP have any hunts coming up this fall/winter?
Old 07-16-2018, 12:47 PM   #14
JoseyWales82
Six Point

Hunt In: Cypress, TX/Weimar, TX

Quote:
Hope this helps someone.
This.
JoseyWales82 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM   #15
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes, La Salle, and Sutton Counties

Great thread idea. I'm going to Colorado for archery elk in mid-September. Here are some of my more interesting items on the gear list:

Pack - Kifaru Reckoning
Shelter - Seek Outside LBO w/3 piece vestibule
Sleeping bag - Marmot 30 degree down/synthetic blend
Sleeping pad - Exped Synmat HL long-wide
Stove - Jetboil flashboil
Saltyag15 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 12:51 PM   #16
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Thatís funny because we have all gone to Osprey type packs for packing out. We use smaller hunting type packs for hunting but have backpacking type packs in the truck for hauling out meat. My hunting partner hauled out 120 pounds in an Osprey 5500- Iím not carrying 120 pounds period

I would love to know what my first load weighed last year. All my hunting gear, one hind quarter, both back straps and both tenderloins. When you have to put your pack on sitting down you know itís getting heavy.

Old 07-16-2018, 12:56 PM   #17
Wylde E
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere

First rifle elk unit 70 public land. This is also my first elk and mountain hunt.

Wylde E is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:02 PM   #18
Patton
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Edwards, Hays, Caldwell

OTC in Colorado, first year elk hunting. I've been spending all of my free time on Google Maps, OnX, Podcasts, and more.

Quote:
I have one of the Mountain Smith LT tarps and that shelter is awesome. I took it to Colorado two years ago up above timberline. We had a bad storm roll in and it held up like a champ. I’m not using it this year, let me know if you need to borrow it.

I'm pretty set on buying one but I seriously appreciate the offer, JT.

Without a tarp weight included, my sleep setup is 3.56lbs using a NEMO Tensor Sleeping Pad and REI Lumen 20* bag. I wanted to bring my hammock but the ENO Double Nest and straps was an extra 40oz or something.. Our plan is two 4-5 day loops and I'll be right around 39lbs including water and food.

Last edited by Patton; 07-16-2018 at 01:04 PM.
Patton is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:05 PM   #19
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Hope this helps someone.
I think this was true up until about 5 years ago. Everything I've bought is off hunting sites, whether its Stone Glacier (Or Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch) for packs, Go hunt for a bag/pad/bivy/headlamps/food, boots from Kenetrek, everything besides my tent came from a hunting site.

To answer OP:
Tent: Hilleberg 2 man Nallo GT
Bag: Marmot 20 degree (Plus bag liner and bivy Sack)
Boots: Kenetrek
Pack: Stone Glacier Sky 5900
Power Supply: Dark Energy 10,000 mA
Cooking: MSR Jet Boil
Water: SteriPEN and Nalgene with Iodine as backup.
Trek Poles: Black Diamond Ergo Trail

Thats the big stuff. Also run OnX on my phone. My pack on the way in is ~50 lbs not including rifle.
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #20
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by WItoTX View Post
I think this was true up until about 5 years ago. Everything I've bought is off hunting sites, whether its Stone Glacier (Or Kifaru, or Mystery Ranch) for packs, Go hunt for a bag/pad/bivy/headlamps/food, boots from Kenetrek, everything besides my tent came from a hunting site.

To answer OP:
Tent: Hilleberg 2 man Nallo GT
Bag: Marmot 20 degree (Plus bag liner and bivy Sack)
Boots: Kenetrek
Pack: Stone Glacier Sky 5900
Power Supply: Dark Energy 10,000 mA
Cooking: MSR Jet Boil
Water: SteriPEN and Nalgene with Iodine as backup.
Trek Poles: Black Diamond Ergo Trail

Thats the big stuff. Also run OnX on my phone. My pack on the way in is ~50 lbs not including rifle.
How do you like the Sky 5900? When I was choosing a pack, it came down to the Kifaru Reckoning and the SG 5900. I ultimately went with the Kifaru, but I'm betting the SG is awesome too. X-Curve frame?
Old 07-16-2018, 01:09 PM   #21
7sdad
Ten Point

Hunt In: Looking

Here are a few of my items that I'm very happy with and wont go without.

Big Angus Fly Creek UL1 - Tent 1lb 11oz

ZPack Quilt - Sleeping Bag 18oz (20 degree)

Thermarest Z Lite - Pad (not the blow up type, get a leak and your on the ground all week.) 14oz

Platypus GravityWorks - Water Filter

Osprey Atmos 65 - Backpack 4lb

Last edited by 7sdad; 07-16-2018 at 01:25 PM.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:21 PM   #22
Stoof
Pope & Young

Right now a pack is the lowest on my list to replace. I use an arc'teryx and it has served me well. Not that I don't want a Kifaru or something similar. Dang things are EXPENSIVE! But well worth the money.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:25 PM   #23
JTeLarkin08
Pope & Young

Quote:
Right now a pack is the lowest on my list to replace. I use an arc'teryx and it has served me well. Not that I don't want a Kifaru or something similar. Dang things are EXPENSIVE! But well worth the money.

The good thing about a Kifaru is once you buy the frame your good forever. Then you can play around with bags until you find the one you like.

Old 07-16-2018, 01:26 PM   #24
Stoof
Pope & Young

Socks!!! I have a few pairs of these: https://darntough.com/
I run two pairs for the back country. They dry overnight and a quick rinse in the creek keeps them fresh.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #25
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:

Measured 120 or estimated? Iím actually shocked the stay points and strap attackments didnít break. Iíve broken a few Osprey and Mountain Hardware packs in the past. My biggest complaint on those packs outside the scary barreling with weight, is the non functioning hip belts/lumbar pad, and durability

I personally couldnít recommend an osprey or Mountainhardwear, Kelty etc in a budget segment over some of the aluminum farmers out there. I think the big four in pack out packs, MR, Kifaru, EXO, SG exist for that very reason. Safer more dependable option over mass produced light weight hauling type packs.
Texans42 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:28 PM   #26
WItoTX
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wisconsin, New Mexico, Colorado, Montana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saltyag15 View Post
How do you like the Sky 5900? When I was choosing a pack, it came down to the Kifaru Reckoning and the SG 5900. I ultimately went with the Kifaru, but I'm betting the SG is awesome too. X-Curve frame?
Haha, I was looking at the exact same two packs.

I love the pack and the x-frame, it's incredible how well it held 50 lbs square on my back. Once I had camp set up and everything out of the pack, it collapsed down to almost nothing, to the point I could move quick going down the trail without knowing it was there. Now I just need to get an elk so I can test out the load shelf.

SG came out with a new, lighter frame this year too, kind of wish I would have waited a couple months.

You like the Kifaru?
WItoTX is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:34 PM   #27
simek
Ten Point

I just received my new Stone Glacier Sky 5900, with Xcurve frame. I've trained with 40# for the last few weeks, and I'm pleased with it. The forward assist belt is great. I hope to get it dirty in NM the first two weeks of September.
simek is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:36 PM   #28
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
The old ILBE archeryx designed packs for the money are hard to beat for entry level. Battlefield proven as it gets.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:41 PM   #29
tex8569
Six Point

Well I'll jump off the deep end for the thread....
Here is my personal gear list with most brands or material of clothes I own and use. I'll use this list for my two backpack hunts in the Yukon and New Mexico this year and have gone up to 10 days with some variation of this.

I have adapted from years of backpack hunting. I started as a boy scout where we carried two kitchen sinks just so we had a backup. Best rule of thumb is buy quality so buy once/cry once. I have boxes full of gear I dont use that I had to eventually upgrade (typically cotton and heavy under armour). I also try to use a lot of solid colors for the versaility regular camping/hiking/skiing. I just ordered a seek outside DST tarp to add to it and while Ive been toying with a bivy I just doubt it'll be for me. Feel free to ask me any questions or PM me for a word document version

There are lots of good brands that support hunter's rights which I try to support as much as possible. One exception I make is I order all my boots and questionable gear from REI in order to take advantage of the one year return policy even with rugged use. If you're patient between black friday, classifieds, company mailing lists, camofire and steep and cheap, you can get a ton of gear 20-50% off.

Gear List

CLOTHING

 Socks (2) Ė Darntough
 Underwear (1-2) Ė Merino wool - Stoic and First Lite
 Base Top (2) Ė Kuiu/Boyt & Sitka Core Light Hoody
 Pants: Attack
 Midweight: Fleece
 Raingear: Sitka/ Kuiu Yukon
 Insulation: Kenai
 Gloves (2): Guide & Merino
 Ball cap
 Beanie Ė Sitka
 Neck Gaiter/Buff
 Boots Ė Lowas
 Waterproof stuff sack
 Kneepads: Arcteryx Knee Caps

Optional-
 3rd Shirt or Merino T
 Guide Vest
 3rd Socks
 Gaiters
 Camp Shoes
 Down zip off pants
 Down pullover
 Down Mitts
 Heavy/Waterproof Gloves
 Zip Off Long Underwear Bottom - Kuiu

PACK GEAR

 Bino Pouch - Alaska Guide Creations

 Binoculars Ė Swaro 10x42
 Rangefinder Ė Leupold (CR2 battery)
 Delorme Inreach
 Lens cloth
 Small knife
 Windchecker
 Lighter
 Firestarter
 Petzl Elite
 Flosssticks
 Eyedrops
 Aquaphor
 Food bar
 Flagging tape
 Hunting & Fishing License in Ziploc
 Bic Pin & Zip Ties

 Backpack: Stone Glacier Sky 7400
 First aid: Leukotape, superglue, advil, cough, immodium, melatonin, tums, Benadryl, Zyrtec, antibiotic ointment, Israeli bandage, prep pad, gauze, bandaids
 Repair/Tool Kit: Tenacious tape, Electrical Tape, Extra 2Ē waist buckle, Batteries Ė lithium AAA & CR2, 50 ft of paracord, zip ties
 Kill kit: Flagging tape, Gloves, Havalon Knife w/6 extra blades, Game Bags (2-4), 1 trash bag/plastic sheet, Multitool

 Trekking poles
 Pack Cover
 Camelbak Ė 3L
 Nalgene Bottle w/duct tape
 Purification Ė tablets & pump/sawyer squeeze
 Compass w/mirror
 Headlamp Ė Black Diamond Storm
 Facemask
 Toilet Paper in Ziploc
 Sunglasses
 Glassing Pad Ė zlite cut
 Phone
 Charger & Mini cord
 Waterproof stuff sacks
 Optional -
 Spotting scope Ė Vortex Razor 65
 Digiscoping/phonescope
 Tripod, bino mount, shooting yoke, quick heads
 Camera Ė Battery, card, waterproof bag
 Face paint
 DST Tarp
 Calls
 Multitool

CAMP/FOOD

 Sleeping bag: EE Quilt (10D)
 Waterproof stuff/compression sack
 Sleeping Pad: Big Agnes
 Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek
 Small pack towel
 Stone glacier bag/food bag
 Cup
 Spoon
 Jetboil
 Fuel
 Coffee
 Drink Mix
 Spice wheel/spices
 Vitamins
 Per day: 3 bars, 1 Oatmeal, 1 Dehydrated
 Misc Food: Trailmix, Salami, Jerky, Soup, Tuna
 Matches
 Firestarter
 Digital watch
 Personal
 Tooth Brush, Tooth Paste & Floss sticks
 Wet wipes in Ziploc
 Gold bond mini
 Sunblock

SHOOTING

Gun
 Carry Strap
 Gun Bearer
 20 Cartridges
 Compact cleaning rod, oil patches
 Light weight soft case (travel)
Bow
 12 arrows
 Tightspot Quiver
 Judo/Stump/field points
 Bow kit Ė serving, dloop, knocks, broadheads, spare release, string, extra site tape

OPTIONAL

 Fishing line & flies/lures
 Kindle
 Neoprene Socks
 Ice Spikes
 Insect Repellant
 Solar panel/Battery Pack
 Water bladder

TRAVEL/TRUCK

 Huntable clothes: Attack pants, FL Chama, Insulation, Socks, hiking boots
 Waterproof duffel
 Water, Gatorade & Food
 Coolers/Ice
 Hiking Shorts, Shoes, Hauling pack, Game Bags
 Practice target
 Spare Headlamp, Batteries (AAA, CR2, Charge Pack & AA), Sleeping Pad, Fuel, Stove, Water Purifier, Water Bladder/Bottle
 Camp - rain fly, cook grill, folding table, chairs, base tent, Sandals, rope, trash bags, charcoal
 Truck Kit Ė Chains, tow strap, comealong, cell phone extender, solar charger, jump kit, hilift, air compressor, tire plugs, shovel
 First Aid Kit Ė Splints, knee brace, Israeli bandage
tex8569 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 01:42 PM   #30
Stoof
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
The old ILBE archeryx designed packs for the money are hard to beat for entry level. Battlefield proven as it gets.
Those packs are tough as nails but they weigh a ton empty. I can't remember the style I am running but I have had it for about 7 years and it has held up well.
Old 07-16-2018, 01:44 PM   #31
tex8569
Six Point

Quote:

I love the pack and the x-frame, it's incredible how well it held 50 lbs square on my back. Once I had camp set up and everything out of the pack, it collapsed down to almost nothing, to the point I could move quick going down the trail without knowing it was there. Now I just need to get an elk so I can test out the load shelf.

SG came out with a new, lighter frame this year too, kind of wish I would have waited a couple months.

You like the Kifaru?
I have two stone glaciers and love them. I used an internal frame for years and found the stone glacier to be very similar. It is incredibly versatile and light weight.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:01 PM   #32
Texans42
Ten Point

This is my over all list, where/when I hunt changes a few things up

Tent-Kifaru Tut/stove & Mountain hardware ghost ultra 3
Boots-hanwag Yukon and chillkat
Stove- MSR windburned and pocket rocket
Pad-seas to summit comfort insulated
Pack-exo K2 1800-5500
Bag-EE Revelation Apex 20, MH Phantom 3degree
Water-MSR guardian, trailshot and steri pen
Poles- BD alpine carbon cork and pacemaker(Texas company)
Socks- farm to feet and kuiu/firstlite(kuiu shrinks easy and firstlite wears quicker)

Thats my base list.
Hydration-I only run a bag of water is limited. I prefer 40 and 32 Nalgene over all through all temp ranges
Old 07-16-2018, 02:05 PM   #33
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Quote:
I will be chasing Dall sheep in a month. Will post my gear here in a few.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:08 PM   #34
tex8569
Six Point

Quote:
Dall sheep and new mexico muley
Old 07-16-2018, 02:38 PM   #35
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
One sept archery elk, two if I tag out quick
One Oct Pronghorn archery hunt
One Jan archery Mulie Hunt, will be two if I tag out quick.
Working on Aug bear hunt
Old 07-16-2018, 02:40 PM   #36
rut-ro
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon,Madison and Zavalla

I joined this site a couple years ago never been now hunting before. It is an addictive hobby. Now I am planning on packing in 2020. This thread will help me select my gear and over time. Momma will be happy as well so I don’t drop several thousand dollars at once
rut-ro is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 02:41 PM   #37
Stoof
Pope & Young

Quote:
I won't hunt out of State this year. Multiple fractures in my fibia/tibia. Torn ACL and torn ligaments in my ankle. I really did it up good! Re-habing for 2019 dreams. I will live vicariously through y'all.
Old 07-16-2018, 02:57 PM   #38
DapperDan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

In for details

DapperDan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:28 PM   #39
Bowhuntamistad
Pope & Young

Quote:
I'll be chasing elk in Nv this year...spike/management size bulls. Late December rifle.

Last edited by Bowhuntamistad; 07-16-2018 at 03:42 PM.
Bowhuntamistad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:38 PM   #40
Geoff995
Six Point

Hunt In: Scurry Cty.

Quote:

How are you liking the exo pack? Exo and kifaru are what Iíve been considering upgrading to. Iíve been running a horn hunter which by the way is terrible so either of these packs will be a significant upgrade.
Geoff995 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:39 PM   #41
Michael
Administrator

Hunt In: Webb, LaSalle, Lavaca

Obviously I come at this from a "backcountry rookie" standpoint, but here is the philosophy I've boiled it down to with regards to gear durability, weight, comfort (especially at 48!) and budget.

1. Boots and Pack - Having the right fit is critical for a backcountry hunt where you are literally on your feet all day and packing in the rest of your gear (and hopefully packing out an animal at the end!).

Boots are pretty obvious. I had a good pair of Lowa Renegades that were about 1/4 size too small. I probably could have made them work, but on a hunt like this I chose not to risk it. I ended up buying a pair of Salomon GTX 4D at REI's Memorial Weekend sale on my way from Denver to my scouting trip. I found them for $170, and don't regret that purchase.

Many packs will work to pack gear in and out. But, there's a big distinction between what will work and what will work comfortably. I carried 49.5# (plus up to 3 liters of water) in my Badlands pack in May. I've been training with 68# in my Cavern and it carries the load much better, obviously, than the Badlands. I haven't used any non-hunting frame packs, but by all accounts the upper-end packs (Kifaru, Stone Glacier, EXO, etc.) are designed to handle heavier loads more efficiently than ultralight backpacking packs. Again, at my age, I'll pay a little extra for comfort and efficiency! Even at my age, hopefully over the course of my remaining backcountry lifetime, I'll use it enough to minimize the cost differences.

2. Sleep system - Again, comfort and good sleep are important for me, but I think sleeping comfort can be achieved with a variety of budgets and weight. I'm (at least) as comfortable with an open floor tarp as I am with a tent, and don't feel the need to spend $300+ on an ultralight tent. I upgraded my quilt after my scouting trip and I feel like my Outdoor Vitals Loftek quilt offered good quality and light weight at a reasonable price (<$120). I've had good luck with a reasonably priced inflatable pad (<$60). I sleep better on inflatable than closed cell foam. I've been able to repair leaks on other pads (and qulits) with Tenacious Tape. It would take a significant gash to have me sleeping on the ground. I'll carry a Sea to Summit inflatable pillow and a Tyvek ground sheet. For

3. Clothing - Technical clothing is great, but people hunted for many years in cotton or inexpensive synthetic clothing. Most of us have camo that we can layer that will work in most backcountry situations, so this is an area where most of us can save money (possibly at the expense of weight) when planning a backcountry trip. Obviously cold, wet weather might dictate additional consideration for safety. Some mountaineering and hiking companies offer good technical clothing, especially base and mid layers, where camouflage isn't necessarily a requirement. I was leaning toward going this route and pairing with my existing Predator outer shell, but I came across a really good deal on pants, merino shirt, mid hoodie and outer shell from First Lite, so I made the purchase.

Bows/Arrows/Broadheads - Most of this boils down to personal preferences, and most of us likely already have setups that will work. I chose to get new, heavier arrows that I'm testing now, and I'm considering going with a different broadhead, but I wouldn't have any issues running the same setup I've been using for whitetails.

Accessories - Optics (spotter, binoculars, rangefinders, etc.), cook kit, knives, kill kits, lights, navigation, camera equipment and other gear all boil down to individual priorities and budgets.

Take all of the above with a grain of salt. I'll let you know in late September how my philosophy on the above may have changed!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Michael is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 03:41 PM   #42
Geoff995
Six Point

Quote:
Iíll be helping two of my friends from New Mexico hunt first elk in the Gila. Iíll have a New Mexico rifle deer hunt week before thanksgiving.
Old 07-16-2018, 03:43 PM   #43
Floor Man
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans42 View Post
Measured 120 or estimated? Iím actually shocked the stay points and strap attackments didnít break. Iíve broken a few Osprey and Mountain Hardware packs in the past. My biggest complaint on those packs outside the scary barreling with weight, is the non functioning hip belts/lumbar pad, and durability

I personally couldnít recommend an osprey or Mountainhardwear, Kelty etc in a budget segment over some of the aluminum farmers out there. I think the big four in pack out packs, MR, Kifaru, EXO, SG exist for that very reason. Safer more dependable option over mass produced light weight hauling type packs.

If I remember right it weighed 123. We packed out 4 mature over 350Ē bulls that week alone with no problems. Maybe we all got lucky with ours? Mine is probably ten years old and has packed out dozens of animals. The buddy I hunt with up there packs out dozens a year and his is at least 4-5 years old. I havenít tried another pack since I bought mine and Iím sure there are some better options out there now. Also we hunt a little different up there with a lot of miles so honestly comfort is number one for me.

Old 07-16-2018, 03:45 PM   #44
TexaRican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: CO and NM if I'm lucky

CO archery elk coming in Sept. So far my big purchases:

Pack - Mystery Ranch Metcalf

Sleep - Klymit 35 degree mummy under 3lb. $15 walmart foam roll mat light as a feather and also bringing a thermarest inflatable but that may get left at base camp.

Shelter - cheap Amazon 2 person trekking pole tent. Tested and very happy with quality, under 4lbs and packs small.

Poles - Cascade Mountain carbon. The rockslide crows raves about these budget poles.

Boots - USA made Danner Hood Winter lights, as comfy as sneakers to me.

Clothes - Black Ovis merino underwear, Hunters Element mid and outer layers.

I'm down to just selecting food at this point. Probably $800 in to gear so far but this is my first backcountry trip.

Last edited by TexaRican; 07-16-2018 at 03:49 PM.
TexaRican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:03 PM   #45
huntingfanatic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County
Default The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Usually go to Colorado but gonna give Idaho a shot this year. Msr Twin Brothers with homemade tent stove. Sawyer water filter gravity system. Will probably upgrade to Exo pack pretty quick

huntingfanatic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:25 PM   #46
Geoff995
Six Point

Here’s my gear list.
Tent: Eureka 1 man
Sleeping pad: Klymit 1 1/2” inflatable
Bag: I usually don’t bring a sleeping bag for early season hunts. Looking to purchase a good packable bag for later hunts.
Pack: Horn hunter mainbeam (junk) looking to upgrade to an exo or kifaru
Stove: Jet boil
Water: Platypus 3 liter bag paired with a sawyer filtration setup.
Food: Mountain house for evening meals and pre packed bags for daytime snacking (almonds, Fritos, peanut butter, clif bar, Vienna sausage, etc.)
Camo: Kuiu vias.
Socks: Smartwool
Boots: Solomon authentic gtx. Getting away from “hunting” boots and wearing a hiking boot has helped my feet considerably.
GPS: On X maps downloaded on my phone to use offline.
Communication: Delorme Inreach. I have this unit paired with my phone via Bluetooth. Pairing makes typing and reading messages a breeze. I also carry an external battery for charging phone and inreach. I need to get a solar charger for pack in hunts.
Optics: Vortex viper 10x42 binos and vortex viper spotting scope. Running a kuiu bino harness now but will probably switch to a fhf or marsupial. I love my kuiu clothes but the bino harness can be frustrating. Nikon arrow id rangefinder.
Kill Kit: Outdoor edge edc, spare blades, paracord, pen, electricians tape, cheap aa led flashlight, nitrile gloves, spare batteries
Lighting: Cheap bushnell headlamp from Walmart. Super bright and long battery life.
I also usually have a small multi tool and if it’s an archery hunt I’ll bring Allen wrenches that fit anything on my bow.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:48 PM   #47
CEO
Ten Point

Heading to South Dakota in September. Seems like the more gear I buy, the more I figure out I need.
CEO is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:55 PM   #48
bphillips
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mexico, Tom Green Co.

Pack: Stone Glacier sky 5900
Boots: La Sportiva Trango Cube
Bag: North Face Hyper Kazoo 15 degree
Pad: Thermorest z-lite
Poles: Leki
Headlamp: Black Diamond Storm
Dry Bags: Sea to Summit event compression bags
Foot Care: moleskin and glacier gel (little duct tape as well)
Bino Harness: Outdoor Vision
Knife: Outdoor Edge razor lite
Binos: Swarovski 10x42 EL
Rifle: WTO built 6.5saum w/Titanium action

Clothing is a mix and match group

Rain Gear: Sitka Stormfront
Jacket: Sitka 90% and Sitka Kelvin down
Tops: Sitka core hvy wt hoody
Pants: Marmot Scree or Sitka ascent
Socks: Darn Tough hiker full cushion
Underwear: Smartwool merino 150 boxer briefs
Baselayers: Kuiu Merino 145 long sleeve and 145 zip off pants.
Gloves: Mechanix fast fit and Sitka Stormfront
Camp Shoes: Crocs

Last edited by bphillips; 07-16-2018 at 04:58 PM.
bphillips is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-16-2018, 04:59 PM   #49
Texans42
Ten Point

Quote:
If I remember right it weighed 123. We packed out 4 mature over 350Ē bulls that week alone with no problems. Maybe we all got lucky with ours? Mine is probably ten years old and has packed out dozens of animals. The buddy I hunt with up there packs out dozens a year and his is at least 4-5 years old. I havenít tried another pack since I bought mine and Iím sure there are some better options out there now. Also we hunt a little different up there with a lot of miles so honestly comfort is number one for me.

You are luckier then me. I use to get them at wholesale cost and wonít use them to pack out with anymore. Barrel way to bad with weight. When I lived in CO I ran just about everything, all I did was hike, climb and hunt. Mountain hard ware came out with a decent frame this year but for cost might as well go SG.

Today there are no weight penaltyís with all the sub 5lb SG, EXO and kifaru frame bag combos which are designed to carry and distribute weight.

If I wanted a sub 4lb option Iíd go SG or Exo frame with a dry bag.

Everyone rolls differently
Old 07-16-2018, 06:02 PM   #50
Saltyag15
Ten Point

Quote:

You like the Kifaru?
Good to hear! I've heard nothing but good things about the Sky series and the x-curve frames (if you have a curved back of course)!

I really like my Reckoning as well. The full center zip access is great, and I like the open side pockets. Some people don't like those, but they suit my needs for what I use them for. I took it on my scouting trip a few weeks ago, and that was my first real test for it outside of putting weight in it to train. I love the way it carried and I love the way those frames can move a lot of the weight to your hips. It sure does save your shoulders!

Like your Sky, the Reckoning does a good job sucked down into a smaller day mode. I like the pals webbing across the belt. I have a holster on the right side and a water bottle pocket on the left. Really convenient!