Tools Needed For AR15 Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tools Needed For AR15 Build

I bought a kit from Palmetto and have all the pieces ready to go. This will be my first build. What are the must have tools that I will need to finish the build. I'd like to have everything I need so I can build it all at one time and not have to stop and go buy a tool in the middle of it. Please let me know if you have experience and know of what I need to make the job go as smooth as possible. Thanks in advance.

Im assuming you bought a complete upper so all you really need it a punch set and a wrench to tighten the nut on the stock. I cant remember what that wrench is called.

Comment

^^ yep a punch set and a wrench for the castle nut will be pretty much all you need. and maybe a youtube video or 2 on lower assembly.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
        ^^ yep a punch set and a wrench for the castle nut will be pretty much all you need. and maybe a youtube video or 2 on lower assembly.
        Thats what I was looking for. LOL

Comment

That’s called an armorers wrench.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

In for this. I was thinking of doing the same thing.

Comment

A good armorer's too for AR-15 is mighty handy... It will have a spanner on it for the castle nut, plus for the barrel nut if you build the upper too...

Comment

A vise and armorer's block for the magazine will save you time and headaches too...

Comment

Bench vise and the thing you put in the lower receiver (seems to be a theme, so following along). Armorer's wrench and punch set and you should be good.

Thanks, SaltwaterSlick.

Comment

A pivot pin detent tool would help also.

Comment

I've built a bunch. Never used a vice block on the lower. A good set of punches and starter punches along with a hammer and armorers wrench is all you need.

There are tools that make certain things easier (like the bolt catch)

Biggest thing is be careful with the take down pins. Those detents are easy to shoot off and lose.

Comment

You can pretty much get everything you need on amazon.
                        You will need a bench vise too!

9-Pieces Roll Pin Punch Set, SEDY Roll Pin Punch Tool Kit, Gunsmithing Removing Repair Tool with Black Oxford Packet for Automotive, Watch Repair, Jewelry and Craft (No More Rusty) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07YKJWCY8..._kVepFbW6FVB64

Multitools Tool for Removal and Installation,Steel Black Multi-function Wrench Outdoor Field (Color : Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CZMRYN7..._yWepFb6DGB96J

Wheeler Engineering Hammer and Punch Set with Brass, Steel, Plastic Punches, Brass/Polymer Hammer and Storage Case for Gunsmithing Maintenance https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004SY07HU..._8YepFb6232B7P

Comment

Maybe a metal detector lol

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                            Maybe a metal detector lol

A magnet for sure when you drop a tiny spring [emoji36]

Comment

If you think you're going to lose it, do the work in a freezer size ziplock bag.. helps catch those flying pieces...

For the bolt catch pin I've used a pain of channel locks taped up to prevent marring to squeeze that one in.. It's the only one that's difficult to beat in without a jig and vise

Comment

Working...
                              X