Keeping the hog out...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keeping the hog out...

Got my son's feed pen hog-proofed today. Well maybe not "proofed", but hog resistant anyway....
    Was just barbed wire for the last 5 years but increased hogs have run the deer off last year so maybe this will remedy it. Have a spin feeder a few hundred yards away to hopefully keep the hogs focused there.

Looks good, we did similar a few years back with good success.
    Big hogs will still crawl over that cow panel into your feeder pen so an extra strand of barb wire could help

Good luck

Comment

Yep--you need another strand of wire about mid-way between the top of the panel and the present wire.

Comment

Thanks.... will have to add one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
          Yep--you need another strand of wire about mid-way between the top of the panel and the present wire.
          The wire looks a little high to me. If cows aren't a big issue I would move the wire down half way from where it is now. I have kept cows out with a single wire pen and the wire being around 38 "high. You might have a few deer get hung up with the wire like that IMO.Pen looks good though.

Comment

That pen has been a 3 strand barbed wire deer feed pen for 5 years now. Never been an issue. The panel was cut from 5' panels and are only about 24" tall.

Comment

Before pic this AM:

Comment

Definitely should help...I don't know you can make anything 100% hog proof if you have big boar hogs. Those suckers are like tanks...

Comment

Following for your results

Comment

Added another wire:

Comment

It should keep them out. More posts would be the only other thing that would help.

Put a camera up. Pigs walk 'round and 'round my circle pens that are much like that.

BP

Comment

Put a camera up yesterday when we added wire. Give it a week and check it out.

Comment

Good work & looks more protected
                          Can't wait to see what your camera reveals

Comment

should work well

Comment

I had to build one as well. The hogs have pushed all deer out of my area and are hammering my protein feeder. The area wreaks of hogs. I'm hoping that with driving them out and shooting a couple soon that the deer will come back to the feeders. I used 5.5' t post every 8' and 34" hog panels. Used 10 and have protein and stand and fill corn. Seems big enough but will see.

Comment

Working...
                              X