Who shoots in Wide screen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who shoots in Wide screen

I'm curious about which screen size folks shoot their video in. My camera is set to 16:9 right now. Good or bad?

I do...I prefer wide over standard, though I have had some problems with it not fitting certain television screens.

Comment

Thanks for the reply Courtney. I like the look better myself. Do you find it makes for a larger file?

Comment

I would shoot 16:9 if you have the capability. Just make sure your camera produces true wide screen. Some cameras just stretch the video resulting in poor quality.

Comment

"Some cameras just stretch the video resulting in poor quality"

I would say that unless your camera is pretty new or pro-sumer type grade, then most likely its not shooting in true 16:9.

If your camera can shoot TRUE 16:9, then by all means do it. If it doesnt, you are better off shooting standard 4:3 and then cropping the picture to 16:9 in post processing. Most cameras that say they do 16:9 actually just add black bars to the top and bottom of the screen, and you essentially lose that resolution.

A short read if you are interested... google for much muuuch more

Comment

One of the reasons I purchased the Sony PDX10 was because it was one of the first prosumer cameras to shoot "true" 16:9 aspect. I really prefer the look of widescreen over 4:3, especially on the web. Most of the DVD footage was shot in 16:9, and the little 4:3 that was used was letterboxed in post.

Michael
            My Flickr Photos

Comment

I have a canon zr-700 that films in 16:9 and it looks great on the T'V's we have around the house, it does have a selection on it to where I can shoot in 4:3 ratio but it looks pretty distorted with short fat deer, LOL!! But in all the 16:9 looks ALOT better!

Comment

Working...
              X