CLEO notification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CLEO notification

What does it take to satisfy this asinine requirement? Get my tax stamp paperwork back and mail or take them a copy? That was what I found online. What qualifies someone as the cleo? The chief of police for my town? Sheriff of the county? County constable?

Edit to delete misinformation
    Last edited by ahlongslide; 03-28-2018, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
      What does it take to satisfy this asinine requirement? Get my tax stamp paperwork back and mail or take them a copy? That was what I found online. What qualifies someone as the cleo? The chief of police for my town? Sheriff of the county? County constable?
      In Texas, it's the County Sheriff, and it depends on the county. In Tarrant County, virtually nothing. Just drop off the paperwork and pick it up in a day or two. In Dallas County, it takes an act of God and Congress.

LWD

Comment

Do you have to notify the CLEO in Waller Co? Google is failing me.
        I moved here from Georgia a year ago and updated the ATF on my move, but had no idea CLEOs had to be notified in Texas

Comment

Let me clarify my first post. I assumed you were asking for CLEO approval. I do not know the answer if you're moving to a county from another or even if something is required.

LWD

Comment

I am pretty positive 41f changed the cleo approval to notification. I know with a trust is is just notify. Wasn't sure who or how.

Comment

Originally posted by LWD View Post
              In Texas, it's the County Sheriff, and it depends on the county. In Tarrant County, virtually nothing. Just drop off the paperwork and pick it up in a day or two. In Dallas County, it takes an act of God and Congress.

LWD
              You don’t need a signature. Just notify them in writing

Comment

Just send it to them through certified mail (if you’re paranoid) or regular mail.

It’s just a notification. They no longer have to sign and they can’t deny you getting it unless you are disqualified from owning it in the first place.

That’s the ONLY positive thing that came out of 41F.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Send the stamp approval? The transfer paperwork? And to which officer?

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                    Send the stamp approval? The transfer paperwork? And to which officer?

No. When you filled out your Form 1 or 4, there is an additional copy that has parts that are redacted and it says CLEO cop on the bottom of the form. You should have (2) that said ATF copy, (1) that said CLEO copy and possibly(1) that said Merchant copy. You also will need to send a copy of your Form 5320.23 responsible person questionnaire. It will also say CLEO copy on the bottom and has some redacted information on it.

Typically the CLEO in your area will be the county sheriff.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post
                      I moved here from Georgia a year ago and updated the ATF on my move, but had no idea CLEOs had to be notified in Texas
                      Smith doesn't care about your weapons. He doesn't even know where his are

Comment

Read the instructions for ATF Form 4. They say "f. Law Enforcement Notication. The transferee must provide a copy of the Form 4 to the chief law enforcement officer (CLEO) who has jurisdiction over the area of the transferee’s address shown in item 2a of the Form 4. In addition, if the transferee is other than an individual, a copy of the Form 5320.23, National Firearms Act (NFA) Responsible Person Questionnaire, completed by each responsible person must be provided to their respective chief law enforcement officer. The chief law enforcement officer is considered to be the Chief of Police; the Sheriff ; the Head of the State Police, or a State or local district attorney or prosecutor."

One statewide option in Texas is:

DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE KEN PAXTON, ATTORNEY GENERAL
                        CAPITOL STATION PO BOX 12548 AUSTIN, TX 78711

Both the above example and the one below come from Form 4s that were filed by SilencerShop. You should feel comfortable choosing either one.

STATE PROSECUTING ATTY OF TEXAS STACEY SOULE, STATE PROSECUTING ATTY
                        209 W. 14TH ST. PO BOX 13046 AUSTIN, TX 78711
                        Last edited by 35remington; 03-28-2018, 03:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ahlongslide View Post

Only for purchases made after ATF41F went into effect.

Comment

Double tap
                            Last edited by 35remington; 03-28-2018, 03:07 PM.

Comment

I’ve got the stuff for my sbr that I’m sending off on. But the suppressor came from silencer shop. I’m guessing they sent all that. I’ll have to call them tomorrow.

Comment

Working...
                              X