Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Year recap. Powderhorn WMA and South Texas !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Year recap. Powderhorn WMA and South Texas !

For the last few years Jbarr and I have been putting in on the draws together and this year it was finally our turn. We got drawn for the first hunt of the year on the Powderhorn WMA. The dates were set for Oct 29-31 and to say the anticipation was high was a understatement. The first day was a half day. We got checked in got our compartment and got to it. That evening Jbarr took a nice old coastal buck. The next morning we got to it. We sat our blind till the sun came up then started moving together. We had parked and walked into a area we knew axis were seen. Got about 1 mile in a Take a nice axis doe. I walked back to the Polaris drove back in and picked up the doe and j Barr. On the drive out we got to a high line area where we were told a nice axis buck had been seen and when we stopped and looked to our left the thing was staring at us. I threw up the .300 put the cross hairs on his neck, squeezed, and click I had forgot to load a shell I quickly push one on restart shot process and boom. 31” axis buck down. This was my first axis buck I was beyond excited. I’m pretty sure I chunked the gun and warm muffs on and ran directly to him
    Attached Files

Going into this hunt I told myself trophy or nothing I was going to very picky and I was OK with going home empty handed so after the axis buck. I was 100% done in my eyes. We spent the rest of the day looking for animals for Josh. About mid day we came across a nice Sambar that josh ended up taking. The hunt had been incredible. Knowing that the next day was predicted with high winds, having both shot trophies we new Halloween would be a pack up and leave day. When we got back to the skinning rack Jbarr told me to go look for a Sambar for myself. I left with roughly 2 hrs left of light. I walked about 1.5 miles into a area and saw three Sambar but busted out before I could see them. On the drive back I checked a water hole where I found a young bull and a calf. I was about to leave when I noticed a very nice stag step out. I stalked in from about 6-700 to
    About 200. It was getting dark fast. The bigger bull started chasing the cow away from me, finally turned her, chased her through the pond and stomped on the middle of it. At this point he was about 150. Squeezed off a shot hit him he hobbled to shore where he was obviously sick from the first shot. I got in closer and put him down. I had just killed my powderhorn Sambar stag. I was shocked. We had shot 4 trophies in a day and a half.
    Attached Files

Comment

Daughter needs a shower so I will get back to the whitetail. But that was the start to our season

Comment

Nice dude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very nice sir. Congrats on two great trophies

Comment

Awesome looks like you had a great hunt

Comment

Thanks guys it was fun for sure. I still got a couple white tail to share

Comment

Would a bike be beneficial down there? don't have a side by side. congrats on your critters.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                  Would a bike be beneficial down there? don't have a side by side. congrats on your critters.

Honestly it’ll get you around but it’ll just get you to places you’re gunna have to walk. If access to a utv that’s ideal

Comment

Congrats on a good hunt and fine trophies!

Comment

Originally posted by hoyt21 View Post
                      Honestly it’ll get you around but it’ll just get you to places you’re gunna have to walk. If access to a utv that’s ideal
                      If I can ride a mile or 2...that would be good. I can't hike in that far. My hip & back won't let me. I guess if you ride an UTV there is enough trail for a bike?

I have a cart to pull behind the bike.

Comment

That Sambar is awesome. Thanks for the write up.

Comment

Awesome, hope to get drawn for powderhorn one day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Great animals! Congrats!

Comment

I will be there in February for the exotic hunt hope there are a few left!!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X