Is it a Sin?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it a Sin?

To put a sight on a trad bow to increase accuracy consistency and range? Does it help any in learning the gap/instinctive shooting style or does it teach bad practices that you have to work out and then learn the correct practices?

It’s not wrong, it’s just different - for example Olympic style trad bows have sights. However if your ultimate goal is to shoot instinctive or gap I would think that using a sight will do nothing but lengthen that learning curve.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
      I would think that using a sight will do nothing but lengthen that learning curve.
      Jerp,

What makes you say lengthen the learning curve?

Comment

It may not hurt as you work on form - the repetition necessary to draw, anchor and release the exact same way every time. However if your goal is instinctive shooting, a sight pin will not “program the computer”. By that I mean the ability to look at a spot and make the arrow go there. That only comes by flinging a lot of arrows while your brain makes adjustments you are not consciously aware of

Comment

The same as shooting Antelope with a short action rifle... going to have to answer for it.... someday.... hopefully

Comment

Yes. Say three hail ishi's and five Howard hills and you'll be obsolved.

Gary

Comment

Nope, not a sin at all.

It's perfectly fine to use one, and leave it on.
              Or, use it as a training tool.

To use a sight to it's full potential is not as easy as some might think, and takes quite a bit of dedication.

It'll help you learn two things:

(1) Good form, and consistency thereof.
              (2) If you pay attention to the positioning of the bow & arrow in relation to your sight at different distances, it will help you learn you gaps should you decide to remove the sight later on.

I don't use sights as a daily thing, but I've used them (a lot) for training, and it helped my shooting (a lot) when not using them.

Rick

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                Yes. Say three hail ishi's and five Howard hills and you'll be obsolved.

Gary
                LMAO ! I wonder how many guys won't get this ?

Comment

LOTS of sights have been used in and out of the hunting woods since "trad" bows were ever carried. I have read stories where even match sticks taped to the riser could be used. I believe, if anyone cares to help with the timeline, even Fred Bear used a sight to start with.
                  NOTHING wrong with the sight, and like Rick stated. It sure is no gimme. you have to have really solid form to make a sight work with a recurve or longbow.
                  Some of our younger generation may not know Ishi until they use professor Google, but I can't imagine anyone who shoots longbows or recurves not knowing Howard Hill, or Fred Bear, or Jim Daughtery (Speling?), Ben Pearson or.. Okay so my list could go on for a while, BUT these names are men who made significant movements to the bows we use.

Comment

Nothing wrong with a sight, temporary or permanent! It’s your choice to enjoy Archery the way you want to, no matter what anybody else says!

I have seen lots of “trad” shooters who hunt with their bows who would do critters justice by using a sight to help improve their accuracy!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                      LMAO ! I wonder how many guys won't get this ?
                      Yeah. My demented sense of humor can get me in trouble.[emoji4]

Gary

Comment

Been used on bows for many years including by Fred Bear in his early years of archery

Comment

Very common prior to compounds. I even had one with various size circles that acted as a type of range finder. Actually worked pretty well . Stabilizers were also pretty common on target and hunting bows . People don’t realize that what is called traditional nowadays used to just be Archery.

Comment

Pretty neat temporary sight I tried once-a piece of dense styrofoam taped to the riser and straight pins (used for sewing...clothes) with the little plastic beaded heads stuck in it. Cheap and effective. Easy off/on with good ol 'lectric tape!

Comment

nope, in fact It probably will help you learn form and gapping much quicker rather than doing it bare...you get in a repetitive habit with just pulling, aiming and releasing it will all come naturally, I have ilf league set up with sights on it and it helps with gapping, form and other various forms of training...it will NOT lengthen the learning curve, it will ONLY help

Comment

Working...
                              X