5.7 vs 10mm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

5.7 vs 10mm?

Would appreciate comments from those who own either or both please?

Son swears on his FN 5.7 and I like the 10mm. I've shot his 5.7 and it's obvious the difference in recoil vs 10mm which affects shot placement, at least for me.

I prefer a double stack semi vs wheels, just for additional firepower for hogs or other close encounters. This is "strictly" for use as a sidearm while hunting as I have my own preferences for CC.

Any thoughts based on experience?

Ballistics wise it looks like the 5.7 out of a pistol is about the same as a 22 mag rifle. So i would go with a 10

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      Ballistics wise it looks like the 5.7 out of a pistol is about the same as a 22 mag rifle. So i would go with a 10
      That's my thoughts, they are not even comparable. It's like asking which is better a 556 or a 308.

Comment

they aren't really in the same ballpark.
        a quirky, cool cuz it's different, teeny weeny .22 pill at centerfire velocity vs. a 200 (+) gr. sledgehammer.
        You might need all 20 of those skeeter sized pills to stop a hog unless you put it in the brain.

Comment

Originally posted by wsteffen View Post
          That's my thoughts, they are not even comparable. It's like asking which is better a 556 or a 308.
          I agree. With that being said im a 10mm fan. Most of the time its what I grab for animal protection.

Comment

There is such a thing as terminal velocity and bullet action/wound channel when it hits? Again, I'm a 10mm fan as well but also ole' school in a heavy 45 with a heavy grain. I still remember from my "many years past" as an LEO that the round of choice for "hired hits" was the 22. Reason..light bullet would transverse vitals before it stopped and result in a reliable kill. This last comment comes from FBI statistics we would get on a regular basis. I know, sure it has changed over the years but bigger is not always better?

Comment

I have to acknowledge that the 5.7 was originally designed to penetrate body armor, from my research. But again, the debate continues with velocity vs penetration vs wound channel vs outright stopping power.

Interested to see more responses

Comment

I am not a ten mil fan i think it is a highly overrated cartridge, but 10 vs basically a 22 mag, i will take the 10 pretty much every time

Comment

I have a glock 10mm and love it, stopping power on a 200+lb hog I would take the 10 over the 5.7 everytime.

Comment

I’d take a 9mm over a 5.7.

Comment

Made up my mind..sticking with the 10..thanks all!

Comment

10mm

Comment

I have seen a person after being shot with a 22, 3 times(arm shoulder and leg)...all they were was pizzed off and bleeding a bit.
                          Doubt that would be the case with a 10mm. The 5.7 is a .20 cal correct? Is is a speed demon no doubt, but the mass is not there. Mass and velocity both do great jobs. But I would be the 10mm guy. One shot is all you need, but the 5.7 does have ...what? 20 in the mag. Comforting but, I still like the 10.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post

Finally people are looking at this. I debated with people on this and the ballista and energy don’t lie. 5.7 is a high dollar 22mag, go with 10mm for hunting unless squirrels are your prey.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
                              I have seen a person after being shot with a 22, 3 times(arm shoulder and leg)...all they were was pizzed off and bleeding a bit.
                              Doubt that would be the case with a 10mm. The 5.7 is a .20 cal correct? Is is a speed demon no doubt, but the mass is not there. Mass and velocity both do great jobs. But I would be the 10mm guy. One shot is all you need, but the 5.7 does have ...what? 20 in the mag. Comforting but, I still like the 10.
                              You don’t even have to hit them with a .45

Comment

Working...
                              X