No announcement yet.

Getting tired of the outdoor channel shows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I noticed this past weekend that the outdoor channel seems to be playing more movies and non-hunting and fishing related shows than actual hunting and fishing related content.

My thinking is that with the surge in content available through other media (i.e. youtube) These outdoor channels are probably headed for extinction.

Comment

There are a few shows I'll watch. All of them have sponsors - so it really boils down to a few shows based on personal preference.

I like Meateater and have been watching Steve for years before he really started becoming more popular. I listen to his podcasts... but have to break it up into seasons because it has started getting redundant.

I like Primos Truth about Hunting during Turkey season... Sure they plug their gear... but pretty much just their own gear.... and it's the owner doing it... so... I give em a break.

But pretty much everything else is just rinse/repeat/rinse/repeat...

Comment

Network Hunting TV is garbage, sad to say. Nothing but one big painfully obvious commercial

About the only shows worth watching are streaming now.

Meat Eater
        Randy Newberg
        Solo Huntr
        The Hunting Public

They are all sponsored, they pretty much have to be, but the dont create an entire show around convincing you that you'll never kill a deer without a Savarugerby .375 DuperMag, Invisiflage camo, and DoePuzzy scent spray

Comment

Just Youtube!

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
            All right folks we're out here on ranch X. (5 min game ranch ad). Been chasing this monster buck. Looks like him about 100 yds. (5 minutes talking about gear) Takes the shot. (Cut to commercial). Replay shot. Center punches the guts. Wow great shot! (Skip ahead a few hours in time) Stand around deer congratulating each other. Couldn't have done it without product X. Did I miss anything?
            Dont forget the carefully planned camera angles that never show the feeder or high fence and dont ask what that free range deer thats never seen a human or fence in its life is munching on in the middle of the dirt road or why it's got a notch cut out of its ear...

Comment

Network tv shows are "pay to play" meaning the networks sell the time slots instead paying for content to be on there channel and rely on just selling commercial time. They basically double dip, paid time slots and sell commercials.
              From what I've heard it's between 75k-100k / hour depending on the time slot.
              At that rate it is to expensive for hunting/fishing shows not to be an infomercial. You have to have some serious sponsorship dollars to pay for that time.

That being said they will have to change sooner than later or no one is going to watch their shows. Youtube, MOTV, Netflix (meateater), and Amazon Prime have to much good hunting shows with out the ad vomit.

Comment

Remotes must be low.
                I do not really remember many hunting shows 35+ years ago but I know Jimmy and Bill pushed the hell out of some fishing product. Doesn’t seem like much has changed.

Comment

Originally posted by Silvey View Post
                  Tim Wells, Relentless pursuit. Guy is a savage.
                  Tim Wells is cool, but he does the same stuff

Comment

I think the Red Arrow commercials are funny, that being said...I am a Meat Eater fan.

Comment

Seems like all the hunting channels are over the top non stop plugging pointless products and "discovering the deeper meaning of the outdoors". Lol I can't take anymore of it.

Comment

Originally posted by FVR JR View Post
                        All right folks we're out here on ranch X. (5 min game ranch ad). Been chasing this monster buck. Looks like him about 100 yds. (5 minutes talking about gear) Takes the shot. (Cut to commercial). Replay shot. Center punches the guts. Wow great shot! (Skip ahead a few hours in time) Stand around deer congratulating each other. Couldn't have done it without product X. Did I miss anything?
                        I enjoy when they claim a great shot when it clearly isn't. Cut to the recovery and the deer is so stiff they lift his head and the whole body starts coming with it.

Comment

Most hunting shows are nothing but infomercials. I quit watching them years ago. Why would I waste 25 minutes of my time to watch 5 minutes of actual hunting and 90% of it staged or faked somehow.

Comment

Huntmercials

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
                              User uploaded content on youtube is leaps and bounds ahead of the TV stuff.
                              Bingo. I no longer watch hunting shows, only user uploaded content on YT. Much better. Some of the folks on TBH have great content on YT.

Comment

problem is it costs these shows quite a bit of money to air there shows on the outdoor channel and sportsman channel, like a lot, so I don't hate on these shows for overloading on sponsors but that doesn't mean we have to watch them....their still is some great content on those channels, better than watching a lot of other crap on tv

for example, last time I looked at the stats it costed a tv show almost 250,000 to start a show on the outdoor channel and like 10 grand an episode, might be different now but I mean if you're paying that much in showrunning then Its only common sense to offset it with sponsors

Comment

Working...
                                X