Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The definitive Single Vs. Multiple Pin thread.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started out with a single pin and didn't like it. My hunting situations were where you never knew what distance they would come out. Having to range and adjust on the fly was no fun. Went with multi pin and never went back, better results for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ThwackAttack View Post
      I started out with a single pin and didn't like it. My hunting situations were where you never knew what distance they would come out. Having to range and adjust on the fly was no fun. Went with multi pin and never went back, better results for me.
      That is where the multi-pin slider comes in handy.

Excellent info Rat.

Comment

I have he tried the light yet

Comment

Just bought the axcel accutouch carbon slider with the x41 scope ring. This will be my first single pin sight. Your thoughts on this sight?

Comment

Originally posted by droptine1 View Post
            Just bought the axcel accutouch carbon slider with the x41 scope ring. This will be my first single pin sight. Your thoughts on this sight?
            Axcel builds one of the best sights in the industry, and I love the x41 scope. Many top tournament shooters use Axcel sights.

Make sure when you set the third axis you are torque fee, this way the red ring will show you when you are torquing the bow.

It will be a heck of a good shooter for ya!

Comment

Excellent thread; thanks for taking the time to put it together

I've been shooting a single pin slider for 5 years, and wouldn't consider going back to a multi-pin sight again.
              Most of my hunting is from a stand, and I usually set it at 25 yds, but I like the flexibility, to set it to whatever distance, I want to shoot at.

Comment

I just ordered a new kingpin on a dovetail for my new bow setup, gonna be my first single pin. I am switching from a 5 pin axcel on a dovetail, mainly because I dont like focusing on 1/5 I feel like having 1 pin on the exact yardage is the way to go, and it far outweighs the possibility of missing an opportunity because you need to adjust yardage. I am also getting a new sight for my wifes bow and I feel like she would do better with a single pin because the ability to dial down the yard instead of gapping pins or holding high/low with her slower fps I feel like thats a great advantage. She is hesitant because its a foreign concept to her. Most likely going to try to put one on her bow at a shop and see how she feels about it. On multi pin adjustable sights, say its 3 pins. you set a 20-30-40 and then for yardages beyond that the tape marks yardages for your top pin? or does only the bottom pin move?

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
                  I just ordered a new kingpin on a dovetail for my new bow setup, gonna be my first single pin. I am switching from a 5 pin axcel on a dovetail, mainly because I dont like focusing on 1/5 I feel like having 1 pin on the exact yardage is the way to go, and it far outweighs the possibility of missing an opportunity because you need to adjust yardage. I am also getting a new sight for my wifes bow and I feel like she would do better with a single pin because the ability to dial down the yard instead of gapping pins or holding high/low with her slower fps I feel like thats a great advantage. She is hesitant because its a foreign concept to her. Most likely going to try to put one on her bow at a shop and see how she feels about it. On multi pin adjustable sights, say its 3 pins. you set a 20-30-40 and then for yardages beyond that the tape marks yardages for your top pin? or does only the bottom pin move?

It won't cost you any shot ops. In 20 years only twice once I drew did something else step out that I wanted to shoot. And then I shot em and killed em. This coming off season take a lot of time leaving your sight set at 20 yards (or 25 if you prefer) and shooting out to 40. I leave mine at 20 all the time and am able to drill targets out to 40 easy. I don't really work off inches. I started using a 3-D target years ago to prentice that. If my sight is set on 20 and something I wasn't to shoot steps out at 35 it's just automatic to put the pin on the animal where I need it to to drop the arrow where it's supposed to go. Different speeds and FOC will vary in trajectory. Just practice with your set up. It won't take you long to figure it out. And the more you practice it it will get more automatic. Now if there is let's say a hog at 40 yards yes I'll adjust my pin. But if there is some reason I can't, not enough time etc I'll leave it at 20 and Killem. The key to it is confidence in it. Which personally I believe is the number 1 factor in shooting a bow. I know some will argue form etc. But if your form etc is perfect, but in your mind you're unsure of your shot. You're prolly gonna miss! Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Saltej_77 View Post
                    ...On multi pin adjustable sights, say its 3 pins. you set a 20-30-40 and then for yardages beyond that the tape marks yardages for your top pin? or does only the bottom pin move?
                    On a multi-pin slider all the pins move, but only one is the reference pin.
                    You have your three pins set, 20-30-40 and the bottom pin is the reference pin. This means that when using the sight as a fixed pin sight the sight pointer will be set to 40 yards, we call this the 'home position'; this way all the pins will hit 20-30-40 respectively.

Once you move the wheel, whatever yardage the pointer is on is for the BOTTOM pin; ANY yardage, not just yardage beyond 40 yards (your longest fixed pin). If you set the pointer to 25 yards your bottom pin will be on at 25 yards. The bottom pin is the reference pin.

The sight can be set up to have any pin be the reference pin but most people like to use the bottom pin, but the top pin can be used just as easily.

Again, all the pins move, but once the sight is moved from the 'home position' only the reference pin is used.

1) The 'Home Position' is where the pointer is set on the tape so the fixed pins are used at their pre-determined yardages.

2) Once moved from the 'home position' ONLY the reference pin is used.

3) The reference pin can be any pin you choose, most choose the bottom pin (to get the most distance) but it can just as easily be the top pin.

4) The reference pin can be used for any distance on the dial, not just yardages longer than the longest fixed pin. IE, 25 yards, 35 yards etc. this eliminates gap shooting for ever!

And Ragin' is right, archery is one huge mind game;confidence is key. So the first time you forget to move the dial and shoot a foot over the target, just laugh it off and move on!
                    Last edited by Rat; 01-01-2016, 11:03 AM.

Comment

Watch this video; at about the three minute mark he explains setting up the sight tape for the reference pin and how it works. This is a Spot Hogg video but the same principle applies to all sliders.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. Posting of objectionable material in text, attachments or embedded links is grounds for immediate suspension.
                      I AGREE, PLAY EMBEDDED VIDEO

Comment

A review of the Fast Eddie XL by Spot Hogg; reviewed by Loneaggie.

Spot Hogg Fast Eddie XL Review by Loneaggie

Comment

Somewhere in this thread it may have been mentioned, but I may have missed it.
                          Keep in mind, that when using a moveable site, whether single pin, or multi pin, once the housing is moved, your anchor will have to move to adjust.
                          (usually you will have to relax off the string slightly, as most times you will be using the moveable for longer distances)
                          Same as centering pins in a multi pin housing.
                          With a fixed, multi pin housing, once you are aligned, (assuming your peep size fits the housing) you never have to "float" your anchor.
                          Simply align peep with housing, put desired pin on target.
                          In no way trying to detract from the moveable pin advantage, just making sure all pros and cons are discussed.

Comment

Tagged to read later.

Comment

Originally posted by Rat View Post
                              On a multi-pin slider all the pins move, but only one is the reference pin.
                              You have your three pins set, 20-30-40 and the bottom pin is the reference pin. This means that when using the sight as a fixed pin sight the sight pointer will be set to 40 yards, we call this the 'home position'; this way all the pins will hit 20-30-40 respectively.

Once you move the wheel, whatever yardage the pointer is on is for the BOTTOM pin; ANY yardage, not just yardage beyond 40 yards (your longest fixed pin). If you set the pointer to 25 yards your bottom pin will be on at 25 yards. The bottom pin is the reference pin.

The sight can be set up to have any pin be the reference pin but most people like to use the bottom pin, but the top pin can be used just as easily.

Again, all the pins move, but once the sight is moved from the 'home position' only the reference pin is used.

1) The 'Home Position' is where the pointer is set on the tape so the fixed pins are used at their pre-determined yardages.

2) Once moved from the 'home position' ONLY the reference pin is used.

3) The reference pin can be any pin you choose, most choose the bottom pin (to get the most distance) but it can just as easily be the top pin.

4) The reference pin can be used for any distance on the dial, not just yardages longer than the longest fixed pin. IE, 25 yards, 35 yards etc. this eliminates gap shooting for ever!

And Ragin' is right, archery is one huge mind game;confidence is key. So the first time you forget to move the dial and shoot a foot over the target, just laugh it off and move on!
                              On a multi pin slider like the hogg father, if you have your reference pin set to 40, what is the max distance you would be able to sight that pin in at for single pin use? Hope that makes sense.

Comment

Originally posted by EastTx View Post
                                On a multi pin slider like the hogg father, if you have your reference pin set to 40, what is the max distance you would be able to sight that pin in at for single pin use? Hope that makes sense.
                                Depends on the bow and how fast it is shooting. My 10 year old tribute will run out to about 80 yards before the broadhead hits the housing when I draw; but I also shoot a large (hunting), hooded scope. I could definitely get to 90 and maybe 100 with a smaller (target) scope.

I know one shooter who gets to 140 with his target set up, he shoots a small scope though. I think most modern bows will do 100 easily and probably slightly more.

Comment

Working...
                                X