X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer chili

Me and my daughter Mia would love to have a good chili recipe

miawood

This one is good if you like a tomato base(like I do).

1-2 lbs ground venison
    Large can tomato sauce
    8 oz can diced tomatos
    tomato paste or other thickening agent
    garlic
    1 can green chiles
    diced bell pepper
    diced onion
    chili powder
    cayenne pepper(much less than chili powder)
    pinch of thyme
    black pepper

Cook venison with garlic, onion, and black pepper. Simmer other ingredients. Add more onions and garlic. You can make it as hot or mild as you like it. No exact measurements(whatever tastes right). I add liquid hot sauce and extra cayenne because I like it pretty hot. Great topping for potatoes also.

Comment

30 min recipe

2 bags of deer chili meat (processor makes ours 1 1/4 lbs)
      cook meat while mixing rest
      strain meat once cooked

2 8oz cans of tomato sauce
      1 6oz can of tomato paste
      refill 6oz can with water
      1 can of diced tomatos (size depends on how well you like tomatos)
      1 can pinto beans (optional)
      2 packs of chili seasoning I make 1 mild 1 hot
      put in large pot bring to boil lower heat and cover while meat cooks.

will be ready to eat once mixed or can be left on low to medium heat

we are still experimenting but can you ever per-fect chili

Comment

Sounds good to me. Think I'm gonna make some,

Comment

those both sound good

Comment

we make a pot every other tuesday and invite family over to try and offer suggestions. We are going to try out own spices and see how it goes. One thing I learned is no matter how bad you think it turned out some one will like it.

Comment

some great recipes here

Comment

2lbs ground venison
                1 yellow onion chopped
                5 jalopenos- seeded and chopped(optional)
                1/2 a plastic spoon of Cayenne pepper(optional)
                2-1/2 plastic spoon of chili powder
                2 plastic spoon of cumin
                3 plastic spoon of ground mustard.
                1 can of rotel original
                1 32 oz box of beef broth
                5 heaping plastic spoons of HEB frying flour or seasoned(salt/pepper added) flour

I sauttee onion/jap peppers in butter and set aside, then brown ground meat and drain. Put drained meat back in pot. Take spices and put in bowl and stir to mix, sprinkle on browned ground meat, and mix. Then add can of Rotel stir some more, then add beef broth, bring to boil and let simmer for 30 minutes .

If you want juices thicker, mix about 3 spoons of flour with some hot water, stir till paste in a bowl and stir into chili.

Reason I use the cheap white plastic spoon measurements, makes it easier to make at the lease as we have no water access besides what you pack in. Less dishes to wash.
                I make chili without the japs and cayenne for wife and kids and make the chili with peppers for me and my father.
                Last edited by brushtrooper; 03-01-2009, 05:45 PM.

Comment

that third one sounds really good. does the onion really stick out i have a picky wife.

Comment

No,s long as I chop it up pretty fine and sauttee pretty good, till they are almost clear/translucent, by the time you boil and simmer,the chopped onions are virtually gone.Thats how I do the batch for my wife and kids as they dont like onion pieces, flavor wise its not strong, but blends with the other spices for a good flavor. Wife and kids both just said you cant taste the onions in it.
                    Me I like onions and Japs so chop them in larger pieces, sauttee till soft

Comment

well i tried my own spices i am gonna have to try again. Thank god i have a brother without a job. He ate it and liked it. It was just too dang hot for me

Comment

Yeah the third one sounds really good. I am having a tough time with mine coming out real tomatoy tasting. I cook 2 bags of meat, 2 can tomatoe sauace and 1 can tomatoe paste then all my seasonings. But for some reason or another it taste like tomatoes.

Comment

i can taste it now

Comment

Mine is quick, easy, and you can change the heat factor easy. Below is a medium style heat.

2 lbs. Ground Deer
                            1 medium onion
                            1 can of dice tomatoes
                            1 can of original rotel
                            2 small cans of tomato sauce
                            1 pack McCormick chilli seasoning
                            1 pack MCcormick hot chilli seasoning

Brown meat in skillet and drain
                            Saute the onion in butter

Mix all ingredients in a pot for about 30 minutes. I usually add a tomato sauce can of water for the tomato sauce can used. That is because I don't want my chilli quite a thick.

You can substitute different seasoning packets to change heat. Comes in mild, regular, and hot. You can also change heat by using all rotel or no rotel.

This can also simmer on the stove for hours at extremely low heat and some extra water.

Comment

Step one : buy a pack of Carol Shelby's Chili seasoning kit.

Step two : Follow directions on above mentioned kit. (using deer instead of beef, of course)

Comment

Working...
                              X