First 3-Gun Event

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First 3-Gun Event

I shot in my first 3-gun event yesterday at Thunder Gun Range in Conroe. I knew from going through one "Practice Session" that it would be a good time, but it exceeded my expectations. I'm a pretty decent shot, but certainly realized that I was slower than molasses going through the stages compared with many others.

I also learned that I need more STUFF. I was greatly unprepared for the day. Everyone else had carts to carry their gear from stage to stage, while I lugged a shotgun, AR, pistol and range bag full of ammo from stage to stage. I did have mag holsters for my pistol, was able to put an extra AR mag in my back pocket, but carrying enough shells for a shotgun reload was humorous at times. I had shells in my pockets, my hat and my mouth....while better suited shooters had shell caddies on their belt.

I've got a lot to learn and a lot of practice to do and certainly a lot of gear to buy, but it seemed like a great hobby. Of the 30+ people there, I was the only first-time-shooter and the guys in my squad were more than helpful. It's competitive, but they knew I didn't know my *** from an orange and gave me all kinds of helpful tips and even some quiet advice.

Any of you that have 3-gun experience and wouldn't mind sharing some advice or thoughts on gear and preparation, I'd appreciate it all. I think I did OK for my first time, but I've never been an "OK" kinda guy so I want to do whatever I can to be a better competitor.

Curt

Sounds like you had a good time. You had to learn how to walk, the same will come with the more shoots you go to. Before long you will have everything you need and and be looking like a pro. Good luck and keep shooting!!

Comment

We don't shoot 3-gun yet but that's what we want to do down the road. But we do shoot steel matches and there are a ton of good vids on YouTube. I like max Michels vids for some good pistol tips. Dawson precision has good stuff for competition shooting. Are you using a custom holster or off the shelf like safari land?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

3 gun is an absolute blast, welcome to the addiction. I shot it for 10 years.

Get on the Brian Enos forums and look at the 3 gun section. Tons of good advice on matches, gear, technique and drills. Dry fire alot!! You can't practice shotgun reloads enough. Don't get caught up in the arms race for gear until you've shot a few matches. Plenty of great options for gear, but I'm a big believer in buy once cry once (in reality I've got a closet full of s**t I never use!) Use what you have until you figure out what works for you.

Pistol and AR need to be serviceable, good optics go a long way. I shot a JP .223 with a Vortex 1-6, plus offset irons. I like the doh holster set-up, quick and secure. Decent ammo out to 300 yards, further out you may need to build up some loads. Rocky Mtn 3 gun in Raton, NM and Superstition Mtn in Az, are just a few of some great national matches that fill up as soon as registration opens. Spartan Tactical's Fallen Brethren match is in the fall and held in the North Texas area.

PM me your address and I'll send you some shotgun caddies. They're collecting dust. After my shoulder surgery, I only shoot 2 gun UML , USPSA pistol and PCC.

Comment

Originally posted by labman View Post
          3 gun is an absolute blast, welcome to the addiction. I shot it for 10 years.

Get on the Brian Enos forums and look at the 3 gun section. Tons of good advice on matches, gear, technique and drills. Dry fire alot!! You can't practice shotgun reloads enough. Don't get caught up in the arms race for gear until you've shot a few matches. Plenty of great options for gear, but I'm a big believer in buy once cry once (in reality I've got a closet full of s**t I never use!) Use what you have until you figure out what works for you.

Pistol and AR need to be serviceable, good optics go a long way. I shot a JP .223 with a Vortex 1-6, plus offset irons. I like the doh holster set-up, quick and secure. Decent ammo out to 300 yards, further out you may need to build up some loads. Rocky Mtn 3 gun in Raton, NM and Superstition Mtn in Az, are just a few of some great national matches that fill up as soon as registration opens. Spartan Tactical's Fallen Brethren match is in the fall and held in the North Texas area.

PM me your address and I'll send you some shotgun caddies. They're collecting dust. After my shoulder surgery, I only shoot 2 gun UML , USPSA pistol and PCC.
          PM coming, but I sure would rather pay you what they're worth. I agree on the gear. I'm a junkie anyhow, but I'm gonna slow play it a little bit. I'm shooting a Glock 34, a off the shelf RRA with an old Aimpoint and I did buy a new shotgun just because I didn't want to modify one of my duck guns. I went with the Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I'm using an off the shelf Fobus for both Pistol and Mags. For my extra rifle mag, it's just been going in my back pocket. I'll take any and all recommendations on gear that you might have.

Thanks,

Curt

Comment

I just got the results emailed to me. In my first competition, I finished in the top half of competitors in the Tactical Optics division. I also noticed that I had a very low, compared to the group, penalty score. Through five stages, I had 35 seconds in penalties and never had more than one penalty in each stage. I'm excited to know that I was competitive even though it didn't feel like it.

Comment

Watch Jerry Miculek’s video on how to maintain the 930. You’ll need to keep it clean.

Figure out what division you want to shoot, and mess with as much gear as you can for that division... optics, triggers, holsters, Shell caddies, etc.

Practice, learn from your mistakes, and the mistakes of other competitors. Ask questions. Have fun.

Comment

I've shot IDPA practices up at thunder gun range, didn't know they did 3-gun. I need to get back into it.

I can tell you that reloading shotguns is where people shave off crazy amounts of time. I'd learn to quad-load with taccom caddies.
                Last edited by sir shovelhands; 04-30-2018, 01:27 AM.

Comment

No 3 gun experience, but a lot of USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge experience. Remember there are only 2 types of competitive shooters. Those that have been DQ'ed at a match, and those that will get DQ'ed. Even the great Jerry Miculek had it happen to him at a World shoot a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                    I just got the results emailed to me. In my first competition, I finished in the top half of competitors in the Tactical Optics division. I also noticed that I had a very low, compared to the group, penalty score. Through five stages, I had 35 seconds in penalties and never had more than one penalty in each stage. I'm excited to know that I was competitive even though it didn't feel like it.
                    Nice job!

3 gun is more forgiving than USPSA due to the scoring. With that said, it means a lot of guys are pushing for time savings at the expense of A zone hits (which typically don't matter in most 3 gun formats). Personally, I think good hits lead to solid stages with competitive times and minimized penalties.

Rob Leatham has some great youtube videos about speed v accuracy. His view is contrarian to what most view as gospel. Maybe that's why his nickname is TGO The Great One.

Imho, movement is where the most time savings occur in any action shooting sport. Steel Challenge doesn't count, as you're not moving. You must have a great draw to compete in SC.

A 1 second pistol draw is great, but you only draw once in a stage. Having sub .2 splits is great, but if your transition from target to target is .4-.6 you're not helping yourself much. Shotgun reloads are a killer.

Moving from target to target is where you save seconds, haul ***.
                    Transitioning from target to target you can shave off half seconds, it all adds up.

I found some dummy shotgun rounds I put in the package. They're weighted the same as a live load, helps with the reloading practice.

Comment

Originally posted by bearintex View Post
                      No 3 gun experience, but a lot of USPSA, IDPA, steel challenge experience. Remember there are only 2 types of competitive shooters. Those that have been DQ'ed at a match, and those that will get DQ'ed. Even the great Jerry Miculek had it happen to him at a World shoot a couple years ago.

Talking bout guys pushing limits. Crazy vid of rick birdsall. He didn't get DQ but there was def some controversy weather it was legal or not. Either way was pretty bad arse. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcfuRo8pPeQ

Comment

Originally posted by Yelladog View Post
                        Talking bout guys pushing limits. Crazy vid of rick birdsall. He didn't get DQ but there was def some controversy weather it was legal or not. Either way was pretty bad arse. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QcfuRo8pPeQ

In USPSA: not legal. In a 3gun match with good rules: not legal. In a “we don’t care, as long as nobody gets shot” 3 gun match : Awesomeness.

Comment

Comment

You only need to carry a few shotgun shells. [emoji3]

And don't be scared to cut up that shotgun.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by hellbndr23 View Post
                              You only need to carry a few shotgun shells. [emoji3]

And don't be scared to cut up that shotgun.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

Did you do it yourself? I'm thinking bout doing my M2

Comment

Working...
                              X