Trees?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
    Red oaks are biennials which means they flower on previous years growth and are not reliant upon current rainfall. White oaks will produce annually if there is rain they produce acorns if there is no rain they don't produce many acorns. Red oaks will still produce acorn in a drought year.. I have observed this with our water oaks producing consistently and our post oaks feast or famine.
    Water oaks are a white oak species......

Even if the white oak species looses every other acorn crop they will still produce the same amount of acorns that the red oak does. And this rarely happens which means that the white oaks will out produce the red oaks.

Comment

Quercus nigra is in the red oak family look at native nursery website and any other online field guide. We may be talking about different trees. I will give you the Quercus alba and quercus virginiana are heavy producers but most others in the white oak family don't produce well or consistently.

Comment

Originally posted by Doe Doe Spike View Post
        Quercus nigra is in the red oak family look at native nursery website and any other online field guide. We may be talking about different trees. I will give you the Quercus alba and quercus virginiana are heavy producers but most others in the white oak family don't produce well or consistently.
        Most of what I deal with are live oaks, Quercus virginiana, and water oaks, Quercus nigra (both white oak family) and unless the drought is severe they produce massive crops. In drought years they still produce but less.

Comment

Just curious where you are getting your info that quercus nigra is a white oaks species. Every source I have found indicates it is in the red oak family.

Hopefully you've heard the term "red oak" or "white oak." Red and white refers to the taxonomic sections of oaks native to North America. Red oaks commonly have darker bark and lobed leaves that come to a point, whereas the white oaks often have lighter colored bark and leaves with rounded lobes. The leaf characteristi

That also would not explain why I am able to graft quercus shumardii scions to quercus nigra root stock and have success at my ranch.

Comment

sawtooth and shumard

Comment

I just bought a dozen chili pequin. Not sure if deer like them. I would think they would. Plus great little pepper to eat. I would think any kind of shrubs deer would like. Not just trees.

Comment

Originally posted by JANKEII View Post
                I just bought a dozen chili pequin. Not sure if deer like them. I would think they would. Plus great little pepper to eat. I would think any kind of shrubs deer would like. Not just trees.
                I absolutely love chilli pequins. We have a ton of them here. I eat them with a sandwich all the time. Take a bite of sandwich, toss 3 or 4 chilli pequins in and chew, repeat, repeat, repeat.
                They are excellent.

Comment

Nothing better than a little heat in the mouth and Copenhagen.
                  Originally posted by bukkskin View Post
                  I absolutely love chilli pequins. We have a ton of them here. I eat them with a sandwich all the time. Take a bite of sandwich, toss 3 or 4 chilli pequins in and chew, repeat, repeat, repeat.
                  They are excellent.
                  Last edited by JANKEII; 04-23-2018, 09:42 PM. Reason: Wrong word

Comment

Working...
                  X