Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rage????? Just wanted to share my experience.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rage????? Just wanted to share my experience.

I bought a pack of 2 blade Rage broadheads when I purchased my bow last year. I ended up not shooting any deer my first year, and switched to Slicktricks for this season (because of high recommendations from seasoned bow hunters). So far this year I have blown through a spike and a doe. One trotted 20 ft and fell over, and the other ran about 50 yds. They were both killed in the national forest with no bait! Very happy with SlickTricks!

For some reason, my curiosity got the best of me and I had to give my Rage heads a try! I got the opportunity to go on a west TX hunt, and a huge 10 pointer presented a perfect 26 yd broadside shot to me. I drew back and let her fly. The shot was not perfect....hit shoulder with a loud smack, and the monster ran off with my arrow dangling out of his side. We followed a slight blood trail for hundreds of yards before it went cold. Talk about make me sick to my stomach! The words "Why switch from something that works" kept running through my head! Lesson learned! Slick Tricks crush right through the bones. I'm sure Rage works well for some, but not for me. I got home from my trip and gave my neighbor the Rage. Good luck to all of you who love em! I hope they continue to work for ya!

Dang, why'd you tell me that. Now I'm going to be second guessing myself. Every deer I've ever seen shot with a Rage good shot or not went down in a pool of blood. I was in the stand with a buddy that took a 50 yard shot at a doe. Well needless to say at 50 yards she jumped the arrow and it hit her in the back legs. The Rage busted through both thigh bones. She couldn't go any where. Other than that every deer I shot was pretty good placement and they ran 15-20 yards every time. I guess I haven't hit the shoulder blade yet with the RAGE. I haven't tried the SlickTricks, I'll have to look into it.

Comment

NEVER had an animal walk away from a Rage 2 blade......... but I also have never shot on in the shoulder with 'em.

Shoot what you are confident with. Slick Tricks are the only fixed blade heads I will use.

Comment

Dang that stinks. I love Rage and Slick Tricks as well. I have hit the shoulder with both and the Rage did not do so well...but the ST smashed it good.

Comment

Everyone loves the Rage... until they don't.

Comment

Their is still no guarantee that any other head would have done any better, but the Rage is definitley not a great head for trying to go thru bone.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
              Their is still no guarantee that any other head would have done any better, but the Rage is definitley not a great head for trying to go thru bone.
              Unfortunately, that has been my experience. Rage is awesome with good shot placement, but they just won't make it through a shoulder. At least not the shoulder I hit a couple years ago.

Comment

Originally posted by Stevotary View Post
                I was in the stand with a buddy that took a 50 yard shot at a doe. Well needless to say at 50 yards she jumped the arrow and it hit her in the back legs. The Rage busted through both thigh bones. She couldn't go any where.
                Seriously? Fifty yards and busted both thigh bones
                Rage is a good head but not that good, no head is at 50yds with reduced KE. I assume you meant to say he shot her through both thighs. (not the bones)

SlickTrik
                No bh is made specifically for shoulder shots(or thigh shots), I wouldn't blame the Rage on that one. I shoot ST and would doubt their abilities on a square shoulder shot especially in the joint.

Comment

Hey Slick Trick, maybee Rage will chime in here shortly about his horrible experience with Slick Trick broadhrads....

Comment

Which style switch trick head are you guys using that does well with bone? Standard, magnum, grizz or razortrick?

Comment

Sometimes that just happens with those mechanicals. This past weekend in Rocksprings a friend of mine shot an axis doe with an expandable and it must have not opened because he said the arrow must have only penetrated an inch because it was just hanging out its side...

Slick tricks are good, so are G5 montecs, I like the fixed blades myself!

Comment

Hey Slick Trick, maybee Rage will chime in here shortly about his horrible experience with Slick Trick broadhrads....

Well, I'm sure people have had bad experiences with all b-heads. I just hate that I lost the deer. Who knows if the ST would have performed better in this situation....I just wish I wouldn't have tried something new when I was comfortable and have had great success with the STs.

Comment

Which style switch trick head are you guys using that does well with bone? Standard, magnum, grizz or razortrick?

I have been using the 4 blade standard ST and love it. It flys exactly like a field point and does a lot of damage!

Comment

Originally posted by SlickTrik View Post

Well, I'm sure people have had bad experiences with all b-heads. I just hate that I lost the deer. Who knows if the ST would have performed better in this situation....I just wish I wouldn't have tried something new when I was comfortable and have had great success with the STs.
                            I was messing with ya bro

I have no dog in the broadhead wars. I've had success and I've had failures, and everytime it was more about what I did...vs my equipment.

I like both heads by the way.

Comment

oh I know brother, I don't have enough experience to even get into broadhead wars. I have only shot at 3 deer so far. All I can say is I'm hooked on bowhunting, and I hope I never wound and lose another! I know it happens though! I'm headed back to west TX to give it another shot on New Years weekend. I will have to admit that I will be using the ST on this trip Hopefully I will have a great story to post!

Comment

Working...
                              X