No announcement yet.

Water Trough

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would thinking having a drain would be the way to go when it gets full of dirt over time. I may have to try and make a few of these for my deer pens. Concrete feed troughs would be nice as well.

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
      I would thinking having a drain would be the way to go when it gets full of dirt over time. I may have to try and make a few of these for my deer pens. Concrete feed troughs would be nice as well.
      I wish I would've done that...but I got to eager to get into the project so decided not to mess with it.

Comment

I like this....I went with black round troughs and a blue 55 gallon drum cut way down but if I have to replace one, I think I might do a pour like this on a shallower scale. Nice work!

I'd build the form here and pour the concrete in the pen using water from my totes after hearing you talk about how heavy it is....
        Last edited by Smart; 04-28-2017, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          I like this....I went with black round troughs and a blue 55 gallon drum cut way down but if I have to replace one, I think I might do a pour like this on a shallower scale. Nice work!

I'd build the form here and pour the concrete in the pen using water from my totes after hearing you talk about how heavy it is....
          I like your thinking

Comment

That is slick, nice work.

Comment

Great build! Gives me a lot of ideas.... not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by hogmess View Post
                Wonder how hard it would be to install a plug to drain it before you poured it.
                I've purchased concrete troughs with a threaded metal fitting in the end for draining and one in the bottom to bring the supply line in underground to prevent freezing.

Comment

Originally posted by shark79 View Post
                  I've purchased concrete troughs with a threaded metal fitting in the end for draining and one in the bottom to bring the supply line in underground to prevent freezing.
                  Nice

Comment

Anyone know the rule of thumb on having something inside to keep small critters for drowning? Maybe use a small piece of cattle panel?

Comment

Originally posted by jctex81 View Post
                      Anyone know the rule of thumb on having something inside to keep small critters for drowning? Maybe use a small piece of cattle panel?
                      I'd just place a stick in mine...or a rock at one end.....or both like here..

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1942.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	24494160

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                        I'd just place a stick in mine...or a rock at one end.....or both like here..

[ATTACH]852616[/ATTACH]
                        Thanks!

Comment

Looks great
                          You did a great job, following to see when you get in place
                          We have used small amount of expanded metal and square tubing frame for a critter escape on our water tanks, approx size of 6"x 36" square tubing frame with expanded metal welded onto it with small tabs on end to hang it onto side of water tank

Comment

This is what NRCS requires in the troughs they help pay for. You could do something similar, only wider, to cover your float, and it would serve two purposes, protecting the float from pesky raccoons, and letting mice/birds out.

Comment

Originally posted by Abctx View Post
                              https://www.nrcs.usda.gov/Internet/F...2p2_041023.pdf

This is what NRCS requires in the troughs they help pay for. You could do something similar, only wider, to cover your float, and it would serve two purposes, protecting the float from pesky raccoons, and letting mice/birds out.
                              Good info

Comment

looks great

Comment

Working...
                                X