Buying a trailer w/o a title

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buying a trailer w/o a title

I'm looking at some used horse trailers and many list that they are no title bill of sale only. How does that work? I know the Green Screen has to have some experience in this. Any pitfalls to watch for, hidden costs, etc.?

This will be a 2 horse bumper pull trailer.

Comment

I personally would not buy a horse trailer without a title. Can be a headache getting it registered.

Comment

Originally posted by aggie2000tx View Post
        I personally would not buy a horse trailer without a title. Can be a headache getting it registered.
        ^^ don't do it
        Such a headache
        I wouldn't even accept a free trailer without title

Comment

I think all you need is a bos and current registration in sellers name. That's all I had on my boat trailer. Still don't have a title.

Comment

^^^ that is what I have heard. There are more out there for BOS than with a title. I assume DMV can look up registration name to make sure it matches BOS?

Comment

If you are going to put farm tags then you will be fine. After a year of dark tags file for lost title. If no farm tags then pass on the deal. You will have to have the county guy inspect it. If it’s stolen then you are out your money and trailer.

Comment

From past experience not all trailers are titled. I bought a new trailer from a dealer, a tow dolly and a stock trailer and none of them came with a title.

Comment

Read here. I wouldn't touch a trailer without a title.

Comment

I live in rural county and the lady at the tax office calls it home made if you don't have a title. They don't even look at it. The closer you get to larger metropolitan areas the more issues you will have.

Comment

Just register it homemade.

Comment

I own 16 trailers and several were shop built without titles. It’s never been a problem getting tags.

Comment

Bonded title
                          My cousin buys trailers at auction all the time

Comment

It all depends in the county you reside in to register. Montgomery county was a son of a gun to title a trailer bought off here in an estate sale. I understand if you live in a county thats not overpopulated, , it's easier.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X