Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What type of wall AC/Heater for 300 sq ft?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We're building a bunkroom in our barn and I'm planning to put a wall unit in it for heating and cooling. We'll only use this when the house is full so I'm guessing we'll use it 6-10 weekends a year. Temps get down into the high teens, low 20's. We've wired it for 220. Are we better off with ac/heat pump or ac/electric heat coils? I've heard good things about Amana so leaning that way.

Daikin.....……….

Comment

Wall unit? Like a ductless mini split or a PTAC style unit?

If ductless mini split, you will be fine with a heat pump. They heat effectively down into the teens. Daikin is a great brand for them.

If a ptac, I’m not sure. Not real familiar with them but I would guess they have heat strips.

Comment

Wall unit like a mini PTAC style. This is a DIY and I really thought mini splits were for a bit larger areas.

Thinking something like this:

or this:

Comment

Found out Amanda is a Daiken brand.

Comment

Get a hotel/motel style unit. Buddy has one in his shop/cave and it works great

Comment

I have a 7k BTU minisplit in my workshop. My house is foam insulated and it has no problem heating/cooling it. The auto changeover feature is nice. Set it to the temp I want it to maintain and it switches between heat and cool automatically. Square footage is only about 160sf.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

A/C

Originally posted by glen View Post
                Get a hotel/motel style unit. Buddy has one in his shop/cave and it works great
                Had one for years in my garage worked great..I found mine at a Motel remodling ...$50 bucks

Comment

if you buy one based on the square footage rating listed on the box get one that is rated for at least DOUBLE of what your actual square footage is unless you want it running non-stop causing higher electric bills than needed.

Comment

Definitely go heat pump mini split. It will be way more efficient than a ptac. And you wont have a big hole in the wall.

Comment

Appreciate all of the input. Sounds like no issues with a heat pump so that may be the way to go. Not sure what is involved in installing a mini split and getting good contractors in this area can be a challenge.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                        Wall unit? Like a ductless mini split or a PTAC style unit?

If ductless mini split, you will be fine with a heat pump. They heat effectively down into the teens. Daikin is a great brand for them.

If a ptac, I’m not sure. Not real familiar with them but I would guess they have heat strips.
                        When did heat pumps get to where they could handle those temps without going to emergency heat? Or is that just for the mini splits?

Comment

Originally posted by Lip View Post
                          Appreciate all of the input. Sounds like no issues with a heat pump so that may be the way to go. Not sure what is involved in installing a mini split and getting good contractors in this area can be a challenge.
                          Mini Splits have gotten to be a DIY install. They come charged w Freon, hook them up and open a valve to release Freon, and the system is charged and ready

Comment

Originally posted by Rick View Post
                            Mini Splits have gotten to be a DIY install. They come charged w Freon, hook them up and open a valve to release Freon, and the system is charged and ready

Good to know. I’ll look further.

Comment

I bought mr cool minisplit on home depot website
                              Had it up and installed in no time.. come precharged you just tighten the hoses on the lines and it opens the freon flow to the system. Ez as pie

Comment

Working...
                              X