No announcement yet.

Gardening Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you've been planting in the same area, plant some beans this year to help restore nitrogen. Legumes help replenish nitrogen in poor soil, and you'll wear out the soil without composting.

Comment

Ok so figuring up a game plan here. I'm gonna bring in about 15 yards of mushroom compost instead of tilling.

I have access to some old coastal round bales, would this be good to cover the compost with?

So when planting seeds, will the hay on top of the compost be too thick for the seedlings to come through?

Any other prep that needs to be done before planting?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

sounds like you need fertilizer to me. Might have bugs too only way to know is to keep an eye out and spray as needed. But if you have never fertilized you will need to.

Comment

Originally posted by Banded Drake Calls View Post
          Good advice, I appreciate it. Is the mushroom compost considered good compost? Where could I look to get several yards of good mulch? I live down by the coast near Victoria

I would say get a soil test through your ag extension office and that will tell you if you need to mend anything. Also, don't forget to fertilize throughout the growing season. Plants suck out nutrients at a good rate and even by adding compost at the beginning helps, you need it throughout the season.

See if you can get a hold of a local farmer to get some of his old hay and use it as mulch. I have one that will pile up his hay that is used in his goat pin so I get hay and fertilizer all in one. Check out Ruth Stout style garden on YouTube and see how hay can be used in a No-Till garden.

Comment

Originally posted by Banded Drake Calls View Post
            Ok so figuring up a game plan here. I'm gonna bring in about 15 yards of mushroom compost instead of tilling.

I have access to some old coastal round bales, would this be good to cover the compost with?

So when planting seeds, will the hay on top of the compost be too thick for the seedlings to come through?

Any other prep that needs to be done before planting?

Some hay still has seeds in it so the trick if using that is to mulch really thick so the seeds cant germinate.to plant seeds or plants into the hay simply make a hole in the hay for plants and peel back a slit for seeds. Obviously seeds need mineral soil contact to germinate so open the hay enough to make a narrow row then plant seed to appropriate depth . AS the plants grow you can let the hay close on. Weed problems are essentially eliminated. I echo the suggestion of looking at some youtube video's about Ruth Stout. Much to be learned there. Also Back to Eden gardening with woodchips.

There are any number of organic fertilizers that can be applied at planting time. By their nature they are slow release and should last the season. Nonetheless foliar feeding every couple of weeks with fish emulsion ...I also add a little liquid kelp, Iron sulfate and molasses....gives an impressive boost. I love working in the garden and with no weeding chores I look for ways to help the plants.

Soil samples will help with PH but I don't give much consideration to other amendments as the methods mentioned take care of themselves . And as soil becomes robust enough, plant vigor essentially eliminates most insect problems...except squash borers..They are a pain in the...

Comment

I wouldn't add anything until you get your soil tested. A&M does a good job. After you get your report and add the right amount of N/P/K, get it tested again to make sure

Comment

Add cow manure and some organic material like straw or some other hay that doesn't have seed in it. If you don't mind some extra weeds, if you can get hold of the soil or rotting hay around a hay ring where cows have been eating and crapping, this stuff will grow a great garden, but you'll get some weed's the first year. You can mulch them out(lazy mans way) or if you like to hoe you're garden, you'll get a little exercise enjoying time with your plants. If you don't have access to that. The big box stores have bagged cow manure, and you can buy compressed bales of straw at Atwoods. Farm land will eat up organic material so fast it will blow your mind. Cow manure and straw also brings in the earth worms. Molasses also speeds up the soil activity.

Comment

Mushroom dirt

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Dumb question, but what kind of molasses? How do you apply it ?

Comment

Originally posted by rowdybass View Post
                      Dumb question, but what kind of molasses? How do you apply it ?
                      Molasses is molasses. Just don't particularly want sulfur or other additives in it. It can be bought in dried form and added directly to garden or regular and mixed with water then added. Lots of youtube info

Comment

Thx to all for great Info and read>>>

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                          My grandfather could grow a tree from a 2X4. He would till in horse manure every year. Plant seedlings he started, and grow the best garden in town. I’ve followed much of what he did and the same success. Haven’t tested anything other than great food.
                          Horse s**t and rabbit pellets are the best fertilizer around!

Comment

Submit your question to the mike Bloomberg campaign website. I hear he can teach anyone to be a farmer

Comment

Has anyone had success growing cucumbers on a trellis?

We got our tomatoes, cheery tomatoes, jalapenos, and herbs, but was considering cucumbers. However, I don't have a big yard and would want to try to get the cucumbers to group up a trellis.

What other vegetables should I consider this time of year?

Passed on green bellpepers, but thinking I may go get some tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by EarleyBird View Post
                                Horse s**t and rabbit pellets are the best fertilizer around!
                                Disagree, Horse poo will put more hay in your garden than you can get rid of. Used it a couple times in Bellville and it ruined that plot of land. Someone told me Horse poo does not burn the seeds ingested, so you basically are planting what seeds they've been eating

Comment

Working...
                                X