Evie Mae’s and The Shack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Evie Mae’s and The Shack

Ongoing dispute on here about which is the better BBQ joint in Lubbock. Either way this is a pretty cool story.

Evie Mae’s BBQ lends helping hand to The Shack after fire

BBQ restaurant aids competitor after fire
    By Julie Castaneda | June 22, 2019 at 4:38 PM CDT - Updated June 22 at 10:29 PM
    LUBBOCK, Texas (KCBD) - The South Plains is known for being a place where neighbors help neighbors, including at two local BBQ restaurants. Early Wednesday morning, The Shack BBQ restaurant posted on Facebook that their meat smoker was lost in a grease fire.

Kyle Farris, owner of The Shack BBQ, said they had to close for a few days until they could figure out what to do since their main tool for cooking their product was lost. He said the fire burned so hot, paint on the smoker was peeling, which means the fire could have been burning anywhere from 2,000 to 3,000 degrees. Inside the smoker, $1,000 worth of meat was lost.
    The Shack BBQ (Source: KCBD Video)
    The Shack BBQ (Source: KCBD Video)
    Lubbock Fire Rescue responded to the fire.
    Farris said, “They came out and at some point, it started dying down. They opened up the doors to see and it flashed and caught backfire. So, they just recommended leaving it shut."

Farris said it took about 14 hours before they could open the doors of the smoker after the fire.
    Arnis Robbins, the owner of Evie Mae’s BBQ, saw the post on Facebook and donated one of his extra smokers for The Shack to use until they get a new one built.

“I saw the post. We have this cooker at the restaurant, we use it for overflow and catering and stuff, and I just could have been able to help. I wanted to make sure that we tried," Robbins said.
    Both owners say this shows how willing people are to extend a helping hand.

Farris said, “There’s a lot of people that were concerned about the safety of not only our staff, but our business. Seeing once we put that post up there like, this is awesome how local businesses helping each other out.”
    Robbins said, “If the same thing happened to us, I would be so grateful and thankful if somebody was able to help us and acted on that.”
    The Shack BBQ owner Farris (left) shows the damage of smoker to Evie Mae's BBQ Owner Robbins (right)
    The Shack BBQ owner Farris (left) shows the damage of smoker to Evie Mae's BBQ Owner Robbins (right)
    “The response on Facebook was awesome,” Farris said. “Lubbock is such an awesome community. They want to see local mom and pops doing good.”
    The Shack restaurant plans to reopen on Wednesday, June 26, 2019.

They’re testing out the borrowed smokers and will use them until their new smoker is built.
    Copyright 2019 KCBD. All rights reserved.

.....and they both will prosper even more!!! [emoji122][emoji122][emoji122]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

It makes me glad to know that there are people like this in the world.

Comment

That’s great! Seems the BBQ joints tend to support each other for the most part. At least in the mom and pop joints.

Comment

That is awesome

Says a lot about a person when they will help another in need out

Says a lot more when the one they are helping competes for the same customers

Comment

Okay, my lovely wife and I are in line at Evie Mae’s. We will see if it is as good as every one says.

Comment

I have eaten at both and like them both a lot. I would give the nod to EvieMae's on brisket but the Shack is **** close and I love their small town restaurant set up. Evie Maes is more like a food court..... busy and loud.

New smoker should be built by now since that is a 6/19 article.

Comment

Well, I can add Evie Mae’s to my recommended list. The brisket and ribs were excellent, but I will pass on the German sausage next time. It was okay, just nothing special.

p.s. the banana pudding is to die for!

Comment

Lubbock sucks

Comment

Cool story, but neither hold a candle to Furlis “Big E” Ellis or Wylies over on Parkway...

Comment

Originally posted by BBReezen View Post
                      Cool story, but neither hold a candle to Furlis “Big E” Ellis or Wylies over on Parkway...
                      The only reason Big E tastes so good is because the only time you ever try it is at 2am

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                        Lubbock sucks
                        Nuh uh! East Texas sucks [emoji846]

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
                          The only reason Big E tastes so good is because the only time you ever try it is at 2am
                          You may have a point

I sure do miss seeing that gold grilled white limo parked at the CASNR building.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                            Well, I can add Evie Mae’s to my recommended list. The brisket and ribs were excellent, but I will pass on the German sausage next time. It was okay, just nothing special.

p.s. the banana pudding is to die for!
                            I wish I knew you were in Lubbock. I would have been honored to meet you.

Comment

Originally posted by eastxhunter View Post
                              Lubbock sucks
                              not sure how this relates to the story.

Comment

Working...
                              X