****'s sales slump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

****'s sales slump

****'s Sporting Goods' strict gun policy hurts hunting business, shares sink

****'s Sporting Goods no longer selling hunting supplies

Fox Business Briefs: After declining sales of hunting supplies in certain stores, ****'s Sporting Goods is considering no longer selling hunting supplies in select stores.

Dick’s Sporting Goods is considering an exit from the hunting goods business amid a continued sales slump related to its decision to stop selling guns at its stores, the company’s CEO Edward Stack said during a conference call on Wednesday.

The sports equipment retailer posted a same-store sales decline of 3.9 percent in its fiscal third quarter. Net sales fell 4.5 percent to $1.86 billion – a drop that company executives attributed to weak performance in its hunting and electronics category.

Dick’s Chief Financial Officer Lee Belitsky said the company’s decision to end the sale of assault rifles and enact an age limit on all firearm and ammunition sales played a role in the dip in hunting sector revenue, since fewer hunters were in stores to buy outdoor gear.

Stack said the company replaced hunting goods in 10 stores where sales were particularly weak with gear from better-performing sectors such as baseball equipment. While Dick’s has yet to determine whether to remove hunting goods from other stores, Stack said the company would consider further reductions.

“We are looking at a number of stores where the hunt business significantly underperforms and we will assess whether we want to take it out and replace it with these other categories, if that ends up to be a smart thing to do from a business standpoint,” Stack said.
    More on this:

Dick’s Sporting Goods shares fell more than 7 percent in trading Thursday on the weak earnings results and a stock downgrade from JPMorgan Chase analysts.

Dick’s was one of several companies to alter its gun sales policy after a school shooting earlier this year in Parkland, Florida, left 17 dead. Walmart also enacted an age limit at its stores.

Dick’s was one of several companies to alter its gun sales policy after a school shooting earlier this year in Parkland, Florida, left 17 dead.

Good. We purposely stayed away from them for anything this year

Comment

I have never bought anything from **ck's had a gift card and gave it away.

Comment

Perhaps it's the Bible thumping gun toters boycotting their establishment....

Comment

Well, did Academy's sales increase because they took the business that ****'s was declining? That would determine if the drop was from lack of shoppers spending cash or poor management decision.

Comment

Very nice, it would appear when we all act together our voice is heard.

#boycotsdowork

I typed this response sitting in a tripod from academy, wearing clothes from academy and bass pro, binoculars from bass pro, scope from optics planet and a custom rifle from APR.

I guess my little bit of revenue isn't really worth it.

Richards, let me know how your anti-2A liberal stance is working out for your shareholders....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
            Last edited by Slick8; 11-29-2018, 04:55 PM.

Comment

They conveniently left out the reason for most of the boycotting, myself included. I don’t care if they want to stop selling AR’s, that’s their business, but they were actively lobbying and contributing money for an assault weapons ban. It’s not their right to trample mine, and that’s why I quit spending a single cent there.

Comment

Duck's six!

Comment

I stayed away from them too.

Comment

Lol, or maybe because all their crap is overpriced.

Last winter, they had a gun sale, that got put up on TBH. Something like 15 or 25% off on guns. Went to the store, verified the price. I went to the local gun shop. The local shop could get my the same rifle, with no discount, for ~$40 cheaper than D*cks with the discount.

D*cks will be the next Gander.

Comment

Depending on location, academy stores are cutting back on hunting. Some stores may carry little to no hunting in the near future.

Comment

I still prefer dicks/field & stream over academy.
                        Academy doesn't sell high end sports/hunting gear.

Comment

Once they did all that crap I was out, I will not go in that store. Hear that YETI, I don't buy your crap either.

Ranchdog

Comment

Dipstick's never got another $1 out of me once they started openly supporting gun control crybabies. I used to buy the majority of my golfing stuff from them. I just added them to my list of never doing business with again when they started their crap. They should ask UA how it worked out for them when they ****** off the hunting community. I will never understand why companies get involved publicly with politics. It is no win for them. Do they not understand the hunters dont just buy hunting stuff? There are so many places to buy outdoor/sporting gear, Dipsticks isnt special.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckRage View Post
                              You missed a perfectly good opportunity to say that they went limp.

Comment

Working...
                              X