Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

South Padre fishing help

My family and some close friends are heading down to
    South Padre Sept. 24-29 and while there wanted to do a little fishing.
    I've never been down there before and was hoping for some ideas and help.
    I don't know if there are any tbhers that can help one of my boys really wants
    to catch a shark. Is this possible from shore? He's ten so he pull anything in to big.
    Thanks

This place had a good deal, he also does bay fishing. May want to check him out.

After I got back and figured out the lay out of the island. I found two spots to wade fish and one pier fishing.

Wade- behind the convention center. And at the end of hwy 100, if you take a left. Both places are headed in same direction.

Pier- port Isabel off of state hwy 48 at Lake Martin there is a bridge that goes over the channel. Pier is located on the port Isabel side. They have a lit parking lot and lights to fish off of on the channel.

Comment

Catch a shark- Go on the beach (4x4 might be necessary), find bait and fish as you would anywhere on the coast. Fish the guts, or if any cuts between the bars. If it were me I'd just go to the jetties with some horse mullet, sting ray, big whiting, skip jack chunks. I've got some buddies that fish Boca Chica Beach and they land some bruisers out there.

If you want to target trout, Pirates Landing fishing pier is hit or miss. The trout are either there or there not. Free line live shrimp or a small split shot. Usually fish the lights closest to the pirate ship.

Behind the convention center is an easy wade. Get there early and get off to the sides because the windsurfers take over.
      As soon as you cross the causeway onto SPI, the flat on the right can be good with a high tide. Lots of oyster reefs and mangroves just don't go out to far or you could fall in a hole.
      On the left there is flat with mostly grass and sand pockets. Cover ground and you should find some trout or reds.

Good Luck! That's one thing I miss about living down there is the fishing.

Comment

Search Jack Barton on TBH search feature. Plenty of threads on the topic. We used Jack this past June. Awesome guy.

Captain Jack Barton, a USCG Licensed Guide, has been a fishing guide for nearly 20 yrs & a professional fisherman since 2004.

Comment

Can be good wade fishing in the bay and surf.

If fishing in the surf you can go out to the second sand bar and throw love shrimp/croakers, gulp shrimp and hook specks and possible reds.

Can throw the green fish bites off beach or in second cut and load up on whiting. They're good eating.

If you want to catch a shark catch a whiting, chop it or use whole, and cast out past third sand bar if you can.

Can wade almost anywhere in the bay. Shuffle your feet. Sting rays are not friendly.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by .270 View Post
            Search Jack Barton on TBH search feature. Plenty of threads on the topic. We used Jack this past June. Awesome guy.

http://captainjackbarton.com/

Just fished with capt Jack in August. He worked hard and got us on some big reds. It was a blast!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
            X