Bedding an AR barrel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bedding an AR barrel

I ran into a guy on YouTube who was lapping his action and then bedding his barrel extention into the action on his Ar10. I had never heard of this before. Does anyone have any experience with this? Does it really help squeeze that last ounce of accuracy out of an AR?

I “bed” every AR barrel with loctite and it works well.

Comment

Bed actions, float barrels. You want the harmonics of the barrel to move freely. Bedding a barrel would also cause all sorts of weird things to happen as the barrel expanded when it got hot I would imagine.

Comment

What do you bed the action or the barrel to?????

Comment

LOL, so confused here... how do you bed an AR in any fashion?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Nothing on an AR. Just a general statement about rifles.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
              I ran into a guy on YouTube...

This is your problem. Unless you can verify the persons credentials take their “advice” with a grain of salt until you can prove or disprove the info.

There are so many people posting instructional stuff on YouTube that have no business doing so.

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

For those that have never built an AR upper (seems like a few here with these comments)

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                LOL, so confused here... how do you bed an AR in any fashion?
                Originally posted by Dave View Post
                Nothing on an AR. Just a general statement about rifles.
                The barrel extension mates into the upper receiver. This can be "Bedded" to remove any slop in the union. It is not a traditional bedding like is done in a bolt action rifle.

What I do is use loctite at the union to make sure the barrel never moves or shifts. This along with bedding the gas block the same way and pre-stressing the threads on the barrel nut before the final torquing will squeeze some extra accuracy out of the AR system.

Comment

Originally posted by Outbreaker View Post
                  For those that have never built an AR upper (seems like a few here with these comments)

The barrel extension mates into the upper receiver. This can be "Bedded" to remove any slop in the union. It is not a traditional bedding like is done in a bolt action rifle.

What I do is use loctite at the union to make sure the barrel never moves or shifts. This along with bedding the gas block the same way and pre-stressing the threads on the barrel nut before the final torquing will squeeze some extra accuracy out of the AR system.
                  I've built several AR's and never heard of it and I thought is seemed crazy, so I understand thier coments.

Comment

Originally posted by 1shot View Post
                    I've built several AR's and never heard of it and I thought is seemed crazy, so I understand thier coments.
                    This was taught to me by someone who is as OCD about accuracy as I am.

I took a factory gun that was 1.25-2 MOA at 100yds and by doing this got it to a .5 MOA gun.

The factory gun already had the barrel floated.

Comment

Ive done that on 10/22s but never used the term "bedding" now I understand

Comment

This was taught to me by someone who is as OCD about accuracy as I am.

I took a factory gun that was 1.25-2 MOA at 100yds and by doing this got it to a .5 MOA gun.

The factory gun already had the barrel floated.

So you “bedded” the barrel extension and left the barrel floating and that made the gun a .5?

I’m gonna shoot you a PM about this

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                          So you “bedded” the barrel extension and left the barrel floating and that made the gun a .5?

I’m gonna shoot you a PM about this

Sierracharlie out…
                          The barrel and gas block had some slop. When I was done it was motionless.

Comment

Originally posted by sierracharlie338 View Post
                            This is your problem. Unless you can verify the persons credentials take their “advice” with a grain of salt until you can prove or disprove the info.

There are so many people posting instructional stuff on YouTube that have no business doing so.

Sierracharlie out…
                            Josh, Mike, and Nick describe how to square off the receiver face of an AR-15, as well as a few tips for accurizing your rifle build during barrel installation.

Comment

Uh huh....

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Working...
                              X