Poor mans wedding venue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Poor mans wedding venue

Well GS, my little sister is going to tie the knot in December and we can’t be more happy for them. As a big brother, I want to help her dreams come true but, I can’t do it a and now they are wanting to have the weeding at my grandparents and reception at my folks which wouldn’t be bad EXCEPT, their guest list is at minimum 120 people and my folks place is on half an acre... yes, you read that correctly 1/2, .5, half a whole acre with a house and shed and garden and pool on it. So you see my conundrum.. Her original dream was to have her wedding and reception at the Poly Mansion, right outside La Vernia but the price was a little high as her and her fiancé are dang near **** pot poor.. So, I guess my question is, does anyone know anyone at the Poly Mansion I can talk to, does anyone know how much a tent and dance floor cost to rent, does anyone know how much portable heaters cost to rent,(Wedding is in December [emoji35]), and does anyone know a dj that’ll play for cheap? I am more than willing to help out to an extent and getting numbers is the first step. I want to avoid having it at my folks at all costs because my dad will literally kill himself trying to make it work and he already hurts enough..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tents, tables, chairs, dance floor, porta potties......gets high in a hurry. Our cheapest good dj is $750. If catering of any sort minimum $10 per person and thats picked up and not served. We aren't in your area but we get down payment and break into 10 equal payments if wedding is far enough out, that maybe an option there. Now with venue tack on wedding insurance $200, bartender $200, cop $200

Comment

What ever happened to getting married in the church?

Comment

Heck, we got married at my church in 1968, had the reception downstairs in the fellowship hall, then my wife and I left on our honeymoon; spent the night in Shreveport, then drove on to New Orleans. This stuff has gotten way out of hand!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
          thank you....our thoughts as well

Comment

More the exception now than the norm. Even the church weddings are generally followed by sizeable reception/party

Comment

Heck, we got married at my church in 1968, had the reception downstairs in the fellowship hall, then my wife and I left on our honeymoon; spent the night in Shreveport, then drove on to New Orleans. This stuff has gotten way out of hand!!!
              We did the church/fellowship hall thing as well back in 1987. Freaking ridiculous the $$$ folks throw at weddings nowadays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                We did the church/fellowship hall thing as well back in 1987. Freaking ridiculous the $$$ folks throw at weddings nowadays.

Exactly, especially when most don't last long after the second or third kiddo is born. Sad that people jump into a marriage without really really knowing their mate well enough to endure a vow.

Comment

I agree with all of y’all! And thank you for a rough idea on the prices!
                  The venue is something she’s wanted for a while because our folks got married there. I’m just trying to be a supportive and helpful big brother, lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

she wants she wants and her dreams. I feel sorry for buddy.

Comment

We are getting married in September. We are Trying to keep it On the lower side, at least for the area we live.

Venue 5000$ pretty easy, some are way more.
                      Photo 1500-3000$ easy. Some of the bigger packages have bridal and engagements photos in addition to wedding
                      Video, can do without, but runs 1000-2000 grand easy.

Food, easy way to save money. Don’t invite everyone know. We started out at 85–100, now at about 140. Price per person with alcohol, can get 30-50$ a person easy. Hence, keep invite list small. Other options, Don’t have liqueur, just beer/wine. Or have cash bar?

Cake, 300-500$ For 120 people
                      Invitations, 100-200$
                      Decorations????

Dress$$$

We started out trying to stay around 12-15000, I think I’m gunna do good to stay 18,000.

I really think the easiest way to save money is too keep the invite list short. Then less tables, chairs, invitations and food.
                      It’s hard, always worried about people’s feelings when they are not invited. If you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it.

Venue is another good way to keep price low.
                      I have been to weddings that cost 30-50,000$. They are huge at very fancy places. Weekday tend to be cheaper than weekends. Also, places get booked a year out. With covid causing a push back on weddings, fall and winter are gunna be booked at a lot of places. Maybe pushing to 2021, will give more time to save money.

Everything cost more for wedding. I think it’s great that you want to make her dream come true. Maybe pricing everything out will help them get a plan more realistic for their budget.

I just think I’d skimp on some people to get good pictures.

Comment

Jp married us....at the local community center...cheap cheap. Spend the $ on HONEYMOON hahaha

Comment

Find somebody with a nice horse barn for the reception. Might not sound fancy, but you can clean it up and decorate it to be. My buddy did this and it was a pretty dang good reception. For food, get some buddies to cook brisket, sausage, potatoes etc for you. If you can pull those two off, you’ll save a ton of money.

Remember, its what you make of it. Doesnt have to be all out fancy. You can spend as much as you want, or try to do things yourself and save a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by JasonS View Post
                            We are getting married in September. We are Trying to keep it On the lower side, at least for the area we live.

Venue 5000$ pretty easy, some are way more.

Photo 1500-3000$ easy. Some of the bigger packages have bridal and engagements photos in addition to wedding

Video, can do without, but runs 1000-2000 grand easy.

Food, easy way to save money. Don’t invite everyone know. We started out at 85–100, now at about 140. Price per person with alcohol, can get 30-50$ a person easy. Hence, keep invite list small. Other options, Don’t have liqueur, just beer/wine. Or have cash bar?

Cake, 300-500$ For 120 people

Invitations, 100-200$

Decorations????

Dress$$$

We started out trying to stay around 12-15000, I think I’m gunna do good to stay 18,000.

I really think the easiest way to save money is too keep the invite list short. Then less tables, chairs, invitations and food.

It’s hard, always worried about people’s feelings when they are not invited. If you can’t afford it, then you can’t afford it.

Venue is another good way to keep price low.

I have been to weddings that cost 30-50,000$. They are huge at very fancy places. Weekday tend to be cheaper than weekends. Also, places get booked a year out. With covid causing a push back on weddings, fall and winter are gunna be booked at a lot of places. Maybe pushing to 2021, will give more time to save money.

Everything cost more for wedding. I think it’s great that you want to make her dream come true. Maybe pricing everything out will help them get a plan more realistic for their budget.

I just think I’d skimp on some people to get good pictures.
                            Holy cow ! These princess are out of control

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang. We got married at the civic center in town and had the reception there too. I think my wedding was about $4-5k our the door.

Comment

Working...
                              X