Ducks.......how do you do them.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ducks.......how do you do them.

Looking for a good recipe for some duck breast and how to get the game taste out. All the brest are from wood ducks.

I have been eating ducks for a many years now and i dont think ducks have that gamie flavor that everyone talks about. Anyway i take mine out from the freezer once thawed out i will let em soak in cold water for a few hours or so and let some of the blood be pulled out from the breasts and drain off and repeat till i am ready to start preparing them for the grill.

Start off by taking one side of the duck breast and fillet open
    after that is done take a half of a jalapeno without seeds and fill with cream cheese or what ever kind of cheese you desire put the jalapeno face down on the filleted open breast and fold up then wrap up with bacon and put on a good hot grill open flame. Know heres the trick to cooking ducks alot of people dont know how to cook them and thats when you here "it tastes like liver" well i have never eaten one that tasted like liver so with that being said cook them till the bacon has a good caramalized look and the meat is medium to medium rare and the cheese and jalapeno are all done at the same time and o by the way forgot to tell you to season with what ever spices you want to after wrapping them up in. Serve with ice cold beer and enjoy.
    Let me know what you think about them after you try and also wood ducks are the best eaten one in my opinion.

Comment

Put them in water with some salt. I keep the breasts in the fridge for two days changing out the "brine" at least twice. Rinse and cook however you like. Taste/texture of a fine filet or tenderloin. Anything cooked over medium is sac-religiuos.

Comment

Good Luck.

Comment

I have wood ducks by the flocks on my place. Quit killing them several years ago because they ARE NOT FIT to EAT. yuckie

Comment

Wood duck and teal is delicious. Do what stickman said about soaking in saltwater for a few days. Keep changing it out until the water is clear (no blood). I've fried it up like backstrap with gravy....very good. Cook covered in gravy and onions. Grill it wrapped it in bacon. Save it up for a good gumbo.

Comment

GR5...I'll trade you hunting rights on that pond of yours for some good cookin'!!! =)

Comment

Chew. May have to take you up on that cooking. I stopped killing them and started raising em. I have wood duck boxes in 7 different ponds and every box hatches ducks. Now if all them babies would make it to adults we'd have lots of them. Turtles, bass, eagles and chicken hawks get their fair share for sure. I've seen a new batch (10/13 babies) following moma across the big lake here at my house and the next day she is lucky to have 6 left. She will be a good mother if 3 grow up to fly.

Comment

I soak them in saltwater for several days changing the water frequently until it stays clear. I prepare them a couple of ways.

1. Take some boudin and cut it out of the casing. Cut a slit in the breasts and stuff them with boudin and cheese (monterey jack or pepper jack work well. Wrap the breasts in bacon and sprinkle with Tony C's and grill until medium rare.

2. Lightly bread them with flour and saute them until medium rare. Put the breasts in the oven on 'warm' setting and saute some shallots and garlic in the pan with the duck grease. When the shallots and garlic turn clear add some sliced ****aki mushrooms, roma tomatoes and deglaze the pan with some red wine. Add some beef or chicken stock and stir until it thickens . Cover the duck breasts with this gravy and serve with wild rice.

This recipe even works great with these.

Comment

I knew you were a coot killer!

Comment

I ain't too proud to pass up a coot.

Comment

Coots?!!!!? AAHHHHHH! just kidding. I guess when its slow they will eat good too.

Comment

Absolute best gumbo I have ever eat had pool-do (coot) in it

Comment

Times must be hard if you have to eat coots.

Comment

I seriously used to think the idea of eating coots was nasty. I was having a very slow hunt and these coots lined up just right. I breasted them out and cooked them with some wood duck. They were awesome. Even my wife liked the coot better than the duck. I've made up my mind I won't be passing on shooting coots again.

Comment

Working...
                              X