No announcement yet.

Calling the offshore guys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buddy boat with someone else. Quicker than safe tow if something happens.

Id be careful launching from river bend in matagorda in a new (to you boat). When the tide is ripping down the river it can get western. IMO its not worth the risk of dinging the fiberglass to save 10 minutes of boat ride.

Ive done POC jetties many times but only to fish the surf, been a few years since Ive left matty

Comment

Originally posted by Slick8 View Post
      All good info above. I've fished from Galveston to poc on a limited basis off shore. I like Matty myself and would go to freeport as a second option. Poc has some great fishing but those jetties can turn on you in a heart beat. Be careful.

One other thing that you should always have with the single motor and deep water is a drift sock on a long lead rope. If you to loose your motor, tie the drift sock to the bow and it will keep you pointed into the wind.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk
      Great idea!! Added one to my cart with my epirb

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
        Buddy boat with someone else. Quicker than safe tow if something happens.

Id be careful launching from river bend in matagorda in a new (to you boat). When the tide is ripping down the river it can get western. IMO its not worth the risk of dinging the fiberglass to save 10 minutes of boat ride.

Ive done POC jetties many times but only to fish the surf, been a few years since Ive left matty
        Thanks, yeah already had an butt pucker moment. I got too close to the flood gate at Moses lake with the tide ripping out. About slammed into the concrete wall

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
          Great idea!! Added one to my cart with my epirb
          Plus it's handy why fishing the bay on a windy day. It will slow your drift considerable.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Comment

This
            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by jflint View Post
              This
              have a buddy that has to run his boat like that. I swear his 22ft Sea Pro has wings! After a day on the water, it feels like I went 5 rounds with Tyson.

Comment

Well I went out of Freeport on Saturday.... Holy CRAP, I made it 2 miles out and had to find a safe spot in between big swells to turn around.... Those waves at the jettys were 5-6ft tall, I hit those first few way too fast and went completely air born... talking about, hear the motor out of water.... I instantly went to craw mode of around 10mph and made it about 2 miles. They still were huge and decided this was not going to work. OR just chickened out..

At what point do the waves start to calm down to what is being forecasted? I was forecasted 0-2 waves and if those were 2ft, I was on serious drugs.... lol

So we ended up coming back in and fishing the bay, tore up a ton of Sand Trout so it wasn't a complete waste.

Sea - 1
                Jared - 0

lol

Comment

Well I went out of Freeport on Saturday.... Holy CRAP, I made it 2 miles out and had to find a safe spot in between big swells to turn around.... Those waves at the jettys were 5-6ft tall, I hit those first few way too fast and went completely air born... talking about, hear the motor out of water.... I instantly went to craw mode of around 10mph and made it about 2 miles. They still were huge and decided this was not going to work. OR just chickened out..

At what point do the waves start to calm down to what is being forecasted? I was forecasted 0-2 waves and if those were 2ft, I was on serious drugs.... lol

So we ended up coming back in and fishing the bay, tore up a ton of Sand Trout so it wasn't a complete waste.

Sea - 1
                  Jared - 0

lol
                  It was 1-2 feet Saturday, just for some perspective in the future. Those waves that look like 4-5ft are really 1-2 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                    It was 1-2 feet Saturday, just for some perspective in the future. Those waves that look like 4-5ft are really 1-2 feet.
                    Even the ones that stack up near shore? Seemed alot bigger.

I know you have alot of experience.

Did you hit the GOM this weekend?

Comment

Even the ones that stack up near shore? Seemed alot bigger.

I know you have alot of experience.

Did you hit the GOM this weekend?
                      Likely. A 2ft wave is a decent sized wave. It is always worse right at the jetties. Usually if you push out a few miles it will calm down.

Just a quick boat ride Friday. No fishing. Too much going on. Your day was Friday. It was glass. You could have run as far as you wanted. It was .3-.6ft.

Comment

This was Friday.

Comment

Saturday looked ok but it was fast and probably a washing machine. If I don't like what I'm
                          Seeing about 3/4 way down the jetties I make other plans quick. Find someone that has ran offshore more than a few times and take them with you. Find someone to buddy boat with

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                            Likely. A 2ft wave is a decent sized wave. It is always worse right at the jetties. Usually if you push out a few miles it will calm down.

Just a quick boat ride Friday. No fishing. Too much going on. Your day was Friday. It was glass. You could have run as far as you wanted. It was .3-.6ft.
                            yeah the jetties are always worse. You have intermingled currents and it always chops the water up some. Plus you can have the current flowing in/out of the jetties crashing with the south bound beach currents.

Comment

Working...
                            X