$53K fine levied for the 278" Texas buck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
    I think it's pretty unfair to say that because he's a poacher, his buddies must be as well. I bet some of those that defended him early, wish they had not. But, that's what friends do. That's the kind of friends I want and the kind of friend I aim to be. I think they were probably the most surprised when the truth came out and he put those faithful buddies in a crappy situation by not being what his friends thought he was. World's full of *******s like that.
    Well said, Curt.

The article that I read was a little confusing because at first it made it sound like the game warden was calling him a habitual poacher, when it wasn't that at all. I'm not defending him, but there is no proof that he's done anything else wrong, and if you assume that, you're probably one that starts that type of rumor.

I still think he's a good guy that made a bad decision, and now he's paying for it.

It's a shame that there's a guy that's written a book about his poaching exploits, and is making money off of it without even a slap on the hand.

Comment

Thanks for sharing, I never knew what happened either, as far as the fine or the probation. Seems like a fair fine and probation to me, could have been more or less, but the guy made a mistake and hopefully he has learned from it and will be able to go back to hunting in 2 years.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        I wouldn't go that far. Friends that stand by you when you make a mistake are hard to find. My hats off to his friends.

I too did not know the end of the story. I heard speculation, but nothing official.

Wonder if he hunted this season? What are his plans next season?
        Probably hunted as usual And hunting next year as usual

That's a joke folks.

Comment

We all make mistakes in life he is paying for his.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dustoffer View Post
            Deferred adjudication? So he keeps his nose clean for 2 years and then no record? Can't buy a hunting license during the 2 years? Yep, $53k is a hit, but if I was the judge, probably would have gotten a "no hunting" lifetime sentence too, especially if he is a repeat offender.

X2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That is a lot more information than I have seen before.

He knew he was on the neighbors land. The neighbor put signs on his stuff to remove it and not hunt. He knew he was hunting it after hours. He dumped the meat. He admitted to doing it 2 years prior. Deleted evidence.

$53K isn't that bad for being caught with two poached deer, destroying evidence, lying to police, trespassing, dumping meat.....

On top of all that, there were several people who knew he was breaking the law.

Comment

Originally posted by Pullersboy View Post
                First time I've seen the end result of this case too, OP.
                Me too. Thanks

Comment

First time I'm seeing it. I think it should be posted every year on the first day of the season.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
                    We all make mistakes in life he is paying for his.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
                    That's not a mistake, that's a life of crime.

Comment

Well when it all started I came down against him pretty hard. Lots of good people here defended him because they knew him.....here is the rub.....I have some very good friends that live in that area. They also knew him and his parents really well. They all had no doubt he had done it. I was not mad at anyone for defending him but it did get a little old that no one elses opinion carried any merit. I think that is why people keep bringing it back up. Whether intentional or not it seems that the inner circle of TBH were dismissing everyone elses information. In the long run it is all good....with the exception that he got off way too easy. He has been a poacher for a very long time. They did not catch him on it all. I know the authorities did not want him to loose his plumbing license and I am not sure how I feel about that. I understand they did not want to take away his livelihood but I guess I am old school. Once you decide to be a thief ( and that is what you are when you poach deer in my opinion ) then you are signing up for whatever comes your way.

JMHO.

-john

Comment

Originally posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
                        278” will make a poacher go broke quick!
                        fify

Comment

Good thing he wasn't from East Texas or he would've been guilty before he ever even shot the buck. I find it ironic that some of the same people taking up for him are the same ones that say everyone from East Texas are poachers.

Comment

Originally posted by stinkbelly View Post
                            That is a lot more information than I have seen before.

He knew he was on the neighbors land. The neighbor put signs on his stuff to remove it and not hunt. He knew he was hunting it after hours. He dumped the meat. He admitted to doing it 2 years prior. Deleted evidence.

$53K isn't that bad for being caught with two poached deer, destroying evidence, lying to police, trespassing, dumping meat.....

On top of all that, there were several people who knew he was breaking the law.
                            $53,000 is a lot of money. Does the State put people on payment plans?
                            IMO the fine was plenty considering most people would never even be able to pay that much. So even if he had/has money it's simply not right to fine one more because they have money.

If anything he should have served more time in jail...

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
                            Well when it all started I came down against him pretty hard. Lots of good people here defended him because they knew him.....here is the rub.....I have some very good friends that live in that area. They also knew him and his parents really well. They all had no doubt he had done it. I was not mad at anyone for defending him but it did get a little old that no one elses opinion carried any merit. I think that is why people keep bringing it back up. Whether intentional or not it seems that the inner circle of TBH were dismissing everyone elses information. In the long run it is all good....with the exception that he got off way too easy. He has been a poacher for a very long time. They did not catch him on it all. I know the authorities did not want him to loose his plumbing license and I am not sure how I feel about that. I understand they did not want to take away his livelihood but I guess I am old school. Once you decide to be a thief ( and that is what you are when you poach deer in my opinion ) then you are signing up for whatever comes your way.

JMHO.

-john
                            If he lost his career he couldn't pay the State! Just a WAG

And a thief is worthless. But IMO poaching a deer is a tiny bit different. Only because of people's mentality. I mean lets get real. Someone steals your families money and you will be more ticked than if they shot a doe off the side of the road by your house.

Comment

I have some friends that have done WAY worse.

They know I do not condone their behavior but a friend I am...it’s what I signed up for.

Dude messed up and will pay big time.

You all that like to dogpile these types threads trip me out.

Buncha drama queens...do yall (the dogpilers and you will know who you are because your sphincter will immediately begin to emit pain when you read this) ever hang out with adults?

Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by JayB View Post
                                The way I read that part it appears to just be an opinion from the writer, but I could be off.
                                I am not making light or trouble but just wondering if they had real proof of this being habitual, then why 2 years and a misdemeanor?

.....and God Bless America.

It was referenced as a quote from the game warden.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X