Latest from the ATF: No more opinion letters Unless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest from the ATF: No more opinion letters Unless

Latest from the ATF: No more opinion letters Unless . . .

This is interesting. Just received from the BATFE.

The BATFE will not render an opinion on the effect of an accessory on a firearm unless that farm is included with the accessory and install them the accessory when it is sent to the batfe. One has to wonder if the fact that the ATF is supposedly about to render some new regulations has something to do with this email that I received today.

The effect that this ruling has on the industry is profound. It greatly increases the cost of bringing new accessories to Market. The accessory manufacturer who is Seeking a determination from the batfe must install the proposed accessory on the firearm that it will be used on and send that combination to the ATF Tech Branch for a determination. This will have a extreme chilling effect own small manufacturers and large manufacturers ability to innovate and bring new products to Market.

It will also stop every Tom **** and Harry from riding random letters to the ATF asking them if something is legal or not which often has resulted in contradictory opinions.

Discontinuance of Accessory ClassificationsEffective Immediately:

The Firearms Technology Industry Services Branch (FTISB) classifies firearms as defined by the Gun Control Act (GCA) and National Firearms Act (NFA) based on the configuration and the design features of the firearm as submitted by members of the industry.

Effective immediately, any requests for a determination on how an accessory affects the classification of a firearm under the GCA or NFA must include a firearm with the accessory already installed. Except in cases of conditional import determinations, FTISB will not issue a determination on an accessory unless it is attached to the submitted firearm.

If you have previously submitted a sample accessory for classification, FTISB will be returning your sample without classification. FTISB will contact you in the near future with further instructions to facilitate the return of your sample.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

I’m sorry Sean, can you put this in simple terms? I’m not following....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It means you better order your upgraded spare parts now.

Comment

This is what happens when every jack leg writes them a letter asking "hrrr drrrrr, I know this pistol brace was deemed legal on an AR15, but is it legal on one with an A2 upper receiver? hrrr drrrr"

Comment

Originally posted by Clay C View Post
          This is what happens when every jack leg writes them a letter asking "hrrr drrrrr, I know this pistol brace was deemed legal on an AR15, but is it legal on one with an A2 upper receiver? hrrr drrrr"
          Correction. This is what happens when a bloated federal agency gets flooded from law abiding citizens scared of running afoul of said bloated, powerful agency that regulates firearms on how scary they look. Like all governmental agencies, which are staffed with self important low achievers, they eventually get tired of dealing with their customer, the public, and look for ways to enjoy more time off and less case work.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
            Correction. This is what happens when a bloated federal agency gets flooded from law abiding citizens scared of running afoul of said bloated, powerful agency that regulates firearms on how scary they look. Like all governmental agencies, which are staffed with self important low achievers, they eventually get tired of dealing with their customer, the public, and look for ways to enjoy more time off and less case work.
            Oh no argument here. But it is what it is. I want the NFA repealed ASAP, but it's here for now. In the meantime it seems like people poke and pry at ATF opinions that are in our favor (relative, i know) in an attempt to get them to change or contradict it.

Comment

Originally posted by BuckSmasher View Post
              Well put and very accurate.

Comment

Don't you think this is a direct outcome from the fact that BATFE approved the bump stock and now it's about to be outlawed ?

Comment

Doesn't sound like that big a deal to me.
                  You get it back after the determination is made.
                  It provides a solid basis for the determination, rather than speculation on the part of the person making the assessment as to how it could or might be used.

Comment

Working...
                  X